Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've seen it with my own eyes. Before the "War on Drugs", people actually went to jail for committing crimes.

Yep. That's when "crime" and "criminal justice" became the biggest business enterprise in the country, and almost entirely underwritten by the taxpayer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've seen it with my own eyes. Before the "War on Drugs", people actually went to jail for committing crimes.

What percentage of prison inmates are there as a result of the war on drugs?

Lets say 80%. So without it, we could keep the real criminals 5 times as long without building any new facilities.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Lets say 80%. So without it, we could keep the real criminals 5 times as long without building any new facilities.

The privately owned, state and federally obligated, prisons have guaranteed occupancy rates provided by states/Feds, with bed turnover percentages and severe penalty clauses.

Start there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

And they were routinely exposed to shaming and personal criticism.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great ruling!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You'd be wrong. Moms and Dads love to say their kid went to prison for a joint, but conveniently forget to mention he was on probation for 30 burglaries.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You'd be wrong. Moms and Dads love to say their kid went to prison for a joint, but conveniently forget to mention he was on probation for 30 burglaries.

Ok.

I'll take your word for it.

In your opinion, what would be closer to the truth?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dope alone? Maybe 10%. Most of them catch a big dope case that is aggravated by numerous prior convictions. Many people don't know how the criminal justice system really works (not). That is probably a good thing, overall.

For instance, the typical dope addict steals. Most of them start by stealing stuff from family and friends. Their rational is that they are going to replace it, which of course, they don't. When that gets weak, they start stealing other stuff, usually house burglaries, where they can get valuables they can trade for dope or sell easily. They eventually get caught, and most of them confess to their crimes, because they are not happy with their lives. The typical burglar, when caught, confesses to 30-50 burglaries. Detectives will ride them around and let them point out the houses they have hit, and document what they took.

After all of the cases have been documented and presented to the DA for prosecution, the suspect is typically allowed to plead guilty to a single count of burglary for probation. All of the cases are cleared, the DA got it's conviction and all of the victims believe justice has been done. The guy gets tagged with dope a couple of times in the next few years and eventually gets his probation revoked. The reason for imprisonment will read "Probation Violation-Possession of a Controlled Substance".

Of course, there are a lot of ways to get to prison, but this is an example of the most common path.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for breaking that down ltppowell. I know very little about how the CJ system actually works, that wasn't learned in my classes as a CJ major. I admit that, and admit that just because I took a bunch of classes does not mean that I know anything. I have opinions that have been shaped by experiences and some education, but we all know was opinions are like...

Many people I graduated with believe that their CJ degree is the only thing they need to know how to fix the problems in society, and think nothing of giving their opinions as to how things should work. Those people are some of the very idiots that scream "broken system!" without offering a true, logical way to fix said system.

Drugs are an awful thing, and they can make people do awful things...to people they really care about.

However, I believe that some people truly do change...I do not believe that a 45 year old man should still have to pay for the mistake (some could call it mistake, or just being a true ****head) he made at 18 (provided he has paid his "debt" to society), if he is not the same person today as he was then.

I think that for one thing, if the property is his, and was not used in the commission of the crime, he should be able to retain them, in some way shape or form, even if it is to pass on to a family member, or to legally sell them. He bought them, why shouldn't he be able to collect the money from them?

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, I think if you get your state remedy (eg., get a pardon at the state level) the feds respect that for purposes of gun rights because they have to.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the way it works here, usually intended to restore for hunting. A long and involved process, must be squeaky clean for years after the "indiscretion." Don't know how it goes currently, but at last check that's all the feds would accept. Technically there is a federal process but the dems refused to put any money in the budget to implement it. Even if funded it would undoubtedly be a nightmare.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp

Drug Offenses 95,581 48.7%

Weapons, Explosives, Arson 31,665 16.1%

No other offense makes it to 10%

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sherp

Now Jr., tell us how many of those didn't have a bunch of priors to get them locked up for dope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherp

Now Jr., tell us how many of those didn't have a bunch of priors to get them locked up for dope.

That is what they got convicted for. Are you saying they got secretly convicted for something other than the drug arrest?

And don't forget the second most common offense that got them in prison is "Weapons, Explosives, Arson" which boils down to primarily firearms offenses since officers are always on the lookout to make a firearms arrest.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dope alone? Maybe 10%. Most of them catch a big dope case that is aggravated by numerous prior convictions. Many people don't know how the criminal justice system really works (not). That is probably a good thing, overall.

For instance, the typical dope addict steals. Most of them start by stealing stuff from family and friends. Their rational is that they are going to replace it, which of course, they don't. When that gets weak, they start stealing other stuff, usually house burglaries, where they can get valuables they can trade for dope or sell easily. They eventually get caught, and most of them confess to their crimes, because they are not happy with their lives. The typical burglar, when caught, confesses to 30-50 burglaries. Detectives will ride them around and let them point out the houses they have hit, and document what they took.

After all of the cases have been documented and presented to the DA for prosecution, the suspect is typically allowed to plead guilty to a single count of burglary for probation. All of the cases are cleared, the DA got it's conviction and all of the victims believe justice has been done. The guy gets tagged with dope a couple of times in the next few years and eventually gets his probation revoked. The reason for imprisonment will read "Probation Violation-Possession of a Controlled Substance".

Of course, there are a lot of ways to get to prison, but this is an example of the most common path.

Thanks LT. That takes a lot of the "spin" out of the numbers.

As I recall our county incarceration rates dropped about 15% since the "legalization" of marijuana. I was wondering why it was so low, but with your explanation, it makes more sense.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,799 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.