-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was surprised - make that gobsmacked - to see an article of mine see print back in October. I had submitted it at least three years ago and thought it was far too dated to make ink. But there it was. Today (yes, seven months later) I received the check for it.

Unless another of the pieces I have "on deposit" with several magazines gets the same revival, this will be my last writing payment ever. It was a wonderful 25 years or so, and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing every single one of my contributions in print. No regrets.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We will miss articles from you like the one on plated bullets.

Have fun and good luck in the future.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You are too young and have too much good information left; you can't retire until I do.

We'll miss your help and writing. May your your retirement be as good as you wish for.

Ken O

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It was supposed to be fun, Rocky.

Thanks.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always enjoyed your writing, Rocky. Enjoy retirement.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Retiring was the best career move I ever made. I've been out of the workforce for almost five years and except for some domestic drama, it's been great.

When people ask me what I do, I reply, "I wait for direct deposit).

Enjoy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I actually stopped writing several years ago. Schlepping an SUV load of gear to a shadeless gun range all the time got to be too much like work. Magazines were accepting fewer and fewer freelance articles - and printing even fewer of the ones they accepted. Checks got smaller and smaller as well as later and later. I finally said, "To hell with it."

That's why I was so stunned when a piece I'd written in 2012 showed up in print in October. Seven months later (and only after asking about it) I got the check. The small check.

But it is reason for this post, and for a martini. Heartfelt thanks to all of you who managed to find and read my stuff. Here's to a happy ending.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you, Rocky, for your insight and information that has added to my learning curve! May your future be blessed, even as you've blessed the lives of others.

It is unfortunate that gun writers have become much less distinguished over the course of my lifetime. It must have been extremely difficult to have tried to make a living in this field in the changing times. I respect men and women who follow their passions, and I respect you, and many gunwriters, who have persevered for so long among the politics, and who have furthered our collective understanding and enjoyment.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm deeply honored by your words, good sir. I echo them with regard to the true full-timers like JB. I was a mere hobby writer myself, neither proficient nor prolific enough to make even a fraction of a living at it.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rocky - I am truly sad to see you go off into the sunset. I enjoyed your research and articles.

Denis

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for your work Mr. Raab. I especially found your .41 Special writings to be helpful, and I had one built up on a Ruger .357 3 screw when I came back from Afghanistan with a years worth of combat pay burning a hole in my pocket. Best wishes in your retirement, Bob aka Golfswithwolves

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 3,422 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.