Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
From another thread:

BTW. Have been Spirit filled for well over thirty years.

What is the evidence or manifestation of being Spirit filled?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There can be many. Some sat tongues is the only one but I don't believe that is correct.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Evidence would be any of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit,however a lack of evidence doesn't mean a person isn't Spirit filled.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There can be many. Some sat tongues is the only one but I don't believe that is correct.

I have a friend who can speak in tongues. And yet he adamantly claims to not be a Christian. He is a hateful person and speaks of God as "he, she, it".

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman

I have a friend who can speak in tongues. And yet he adamantly claims to not be a Christian. He is a hateful person and speaks of God as "he, she, it".

He is not speaking in tongues as the Bible is referring to the Spirit filled speaking in tongues

IC B2

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He is not speaking in tongues as the Bible is referring to the Spirit filled speaking in tongues

When I was a new Christian The pastor told the congregation to "cut loose and speak in tongues." Was that "Spirit filled speaking in tongues"?

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

When I was a new Christian The pastor told the congregation to "cut loose and speak in tongues." Was that "Spirit filled speaking in tongues"?
How should anyone here know what some unnamed pastor was referring to? You would have to ask him.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyD,

Originally Posted By Ringman
Quote:

How should anyone here know what some unnamed pastor was referring to? You would have to ask him.

In private I brought the Scripture to the Pastor about not speaking in tongues in the congregation of the holy ones unless there is an interpreter (1 Corinthians 14). In this service he made eye contact with me and then told the congregation to cut loose. The Pastor's name was Murray Mcclease. He was the pastor of Willamette Christian Center in Eugene, Oregon in 1974 when I became a Christian. I soon left his congregation.

Is that better. He was convinced if you didn't speak in tongues you were not filled with the Holy Spirit.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is a lot of ignorance surrounding speaking in tongues from those who do as well as from those who don't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do a study and you will find there are four different kinds of tongues. Read your Bible and note the different uses.

IC B3

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Scott F,

Is there any place where It suggests the congregation of the holy ones all talk in tongues at the same time?

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nope.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to work with a guy who was a class A holy rolling Pentacostal. He told me that his church had at least 1 person with every gift listed in the Bible except the interpretation of tongues. I asked him if they spoke in tongues during their services (the answer to that should be self evident). When he said 'of course', I asked why they spoke in tongues without an interpreter. No answer, of course.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1 Corinthians 14:15

Can a group of people pray or sing together or do they have to go all alone where no other person can hear?

If someone gives a message in tongues then there must be an interpretation. Is some prays in the Spirit, as in tongues, then only God needs to interpret.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used to work with a guy who was a class A holy rolling Pentacostal. He told me that his church had at least 1 person with every gift listed in the Bible except the interpretation of tongues. I asked him if they spoke in tongues during their services (the answer to that should be self evident). When he said 'of course', I asked why they spoke in tongues without an interpreter. No answer, of course.

I believe Paul only reprimanded the church at Corinth on tongues for the benefit of any who might attend that had no knowledge of tongues, that and the fact that if all they did was to use tongues then they may have edified themselves but not each other.

I think it is important to remember that while Paul corrected the use of tongues,he also encouraged it.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

He also, by the authority of the Holy Spirit, gave instructions on the proper order of the church service.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
R_H_Clark,

He also, by the authority of the Holy Spirit, gave instructions on the proper order of the church service.

I do agree on that. However I don't get too hung up if I see something as improper in a service. You have to remember that you are dealing with people. Some may just be praying quietly in tongues during a worship service,which is entirely different from a message given in tongues that is meant for everyone and does need interpretation. It's a delicate balance between quenching the Spirit and keeping proper order.

I don't think it's nearly as odd for someone today to attend a Pentecostal meeting and hear tongues as it was in the beginning of the Church. Yes, tongues should be interpreted when given in a service,but not all tongues are subject to interpretation. Sometimes people get excited and pray in tongues. Personally I won't reprimand them for it. If there is any of that in a worship service where I'm ministering,I may briefly explain for any new members or attendees but I won't make a fuss or issue about it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well said.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
R_H_Clark,

I do agree on that. However I don't get too hung up if I see something as improper in a service. You have to remember that you are dealing with people. Some may just be praying quietly in tongues during a worship service,which is entirely different from a message given in tongues that is meant for everyone and does need interpretation. It's a delicate balance between quenching the Spirit and keeping proper order.

I don't think it's nearly as odd for someone today to attend a Pentecostal meeting and hear tongues as it was in the beginning of the Church. Yes, tongues should be interpreted when given in a service,but not all tongues are subject to interpretation. Sometimes people get excited and pray in tongues. Personally I won't reprimand them for it. If there is any of that in a worship service where I'm ministering,I may briefly explain for any new members or attendees but I won't make a fuss or issue about it.
I would agree, though I doubt many would understand how "tongues....given in a service looks", if they do not have experience with such services and the difference between prayer language tongues and prophetic tongues for which interpretation is also given as a Spiritual gift to some. Prophetic tongues often happens after singing or prayer has subsided and relative quiet settles in among the congregation, and not often as an interruption to the pastor. Certainly, some given to prophetic tongues do not comply with Paul's admonitions to the letter and others do. I've always considered such adherence a spiritual maturity issue for the believer and will admit to discounting those who do not follow Paul's guidelines or who offer their own interpretation.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyD

I've always considered such adherence a spiritual maturity issue

Isn't that being legalistic?

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.