Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 63 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Granted I've only tried 4 different powders and 3 different bullets, with weight sorted fire formed brass, but it just drove me nuts enough that it sits in the safe and I don't shoot it.

That's enough variants........good barrels aren't too finicky, IME. Bad barrels that are & maybe only like one load don't last long with me.

I've had good luck with Douglas CM barrels on bolt guns.

MM

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KineticPerformance

I nearly scrapped that last barrel when it wouldn't shoot the 77gn SMK or NCC but once I figured out it would shoot the 75gn Hornady OTM I just ran with it.

What's the bullet number on that 75 gr OTM Hornady? I've not used it but it must have a different ogive than the A-Max, right?

I may need to give it a try.

I have a new gun & I'm just waiting on the scope & the Dyna Bore Coat to get here this week so I can break it in & start testing.

Planning to start with 77 gr NCC's & these powders:

H-4895, 8208, RL-15, AR Comp & MR-2000.

I use the 1st 3 now in both AR platforms & my bolt guns, but the last 2 are new for me & I may need to try a different bullet if the NCC's don't work as planned.

Thanks,

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Iv'e actually found the 75 bthp OTM ones to be more picky than 77smks.

BUT if you back the speed down, towards 2500ish or under 2600ish for sure, from a 20 inch tube they tend to shoot ok.

They were enough cheaper we ran them for practice for some time, and then went to 68s for all 200/300 yard practice with the 75 amax for prone slow practice due to cost vs the good bullets.

They were good enough, but never stellar.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What's the bullet number on that 75 gr OTM Hornady?

These are the Hornady .224, 75gn OTM that I am currently shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank You, that's the one I thought it was.

You are seating them to fit the magazine & not singly loading them, right?

I may give them a try.

MM

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know I'm not the one... but I loaded those at 2.250 OAL for years with never an issue...

FWIW loaded the 75 amax the same, as John Burns has done since... no issues either... needs 100 percent full case though on that one to be safe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Info from you is always welcome, rost.

Yeah, the A-Max is a little problematic..........I use it in my bolt guns where I seat it out where it belongs, but I don't use it at all in an AR at that mag length.

MM

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thank You, that's the one I thought it was.

You are seating them to fit the magazine & not singly loading them, right?

I may give them a try.

MM

I shoot everything at mag length because I shoot practical matches.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Info from you is always welcome, rost.

Yeah, the A-Max is a little problematic..........I use it in my bolt guns where I seat it out where it belongs, but I don't use it at all in an AR at that mag length.

MM

When you run out of things to play with... crank that seater down, and play.. but the charge has to be adjusted as you are loosing case capacity...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dusted off my other 5.56 today. It is a humble Armalite that originally wore a 16" tube, that was quite inaccurate. I then bought & installed one of Armalite's 20" heavy barrels. It shot extremely well, but I have not shot it a lot until recently. It's now wearing a 16x42 SS SWFA. The load is the 77 TMK, this time over 24.5gr of Varget and Federal 205M primers. I'm pretty happy with it:

The setup

[Linked Image]

The range (yes the same one as last time, I was even at the same bench)

[Linked Image]

I was pleased with the group. I suspect this rifle can outshoot me without much trouble. The barrel is a 1 in 8" twist, but it still did well with the 77 Sierras:

[Linked Image]

First group .77", 2nd one .87", average .82".

I shot the same load in the Daniel Defense Mk12. It did slightly better than last time, but I still need to work on my technique with it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice

But be careful with federal primers you are begging for a slam fire there!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what primer do you prefer for Varget? I have plenty of CCI 41's

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Varget, hands down CCI BR4 is the best partner in 223 cases I've ever found with Varget. 41s won't be bad either as they and 450s are almost the same IIRC, but the BR4s are a more picky lot. IE higher standards.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I got back out to give this another run today in hopes of improving a bit.
Rifle was the same stag model 6 i shot before and the range was the same as well although I didn't think to take another pic of the range. Shot some older PMC ammo I had loaded with sierra 52 gr HPBT.
Gun seemed to like the lighter bullet just fine and there was a slight improvement over last go-round. I need to keep practicing obviously as those "flyers" aren't helping at all!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1.122+.836=1.958/2=.979

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I just wish more people would shoot.

I just wish I had a black gun now. I'd shoot with you guys. Looks like you are having a blast!!!!! Damn.. You guys have your work cut out if you want to keep up with Pat. Certifiable looks like he has his chit together too and Rost is too damn modest: Damn good with open sights.. Good shooting!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very nice shooting! I am curious about the mark 12? How is it shooting or not shooting?

also Molon has I guess been redeemed at M4 and he has tested the Bravo BHF barrel and the Noveke FN barrel. I think I (mostly) tested the DD chromed pencil barrel here with a lowly 6 power scope, I am going to shoot it again as I was distracted in my second group with it. My next chromed barrel will be another DD.

Great shooting all, and its great people are shooting!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Molon has I guess been redeemed at M4

Site staff tends to get upset and ban people when their favorite flavor AR gets a bad review. ARF and M4 have been known to run off some really really knowledgeable people over hurt feelings. BCM is one of those "protected brands."

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
very nice shooting! I am curious about the mark 12? How is it shooting or not shooting?

The best 10-shot group with the Mk12 has been 1.25" at 100 yards. That's with the same load of 77gr TMK's.

For a mid-weight carbine, that's not bad at all. Had I stuck to a 5 shot group it might be 3/4" or less.

I plan to keep working with it as I suspect it will do better, much of it a matter of my technique. I changed out the cute DD stock and installed a Magpul STR. It has about 200 shots through it and the nitrided 1 in 7" barrel may still be breaking in. Some further load tuning is indicated as well.

If TMK's actually will expend on game, the 1 in 7" barrel would be the place to shoot them. I got a doe with it last year, using 65gr SGK's, so I may use it again.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Certifiable.

Are you calling those fliers? If you are not, it could be the ammo or the conditions.

Just saying. For the guts of the group, seems you know how to shoot groups.

If you are calling them, then its less of an issue because you know whta the problem is.

Jeff

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

If TMK's actually will expend on game, the 1 in 7" barrel would be the place to shoot them. I got a doe with it last year, using 65gr SGK's, so I may use it again.

They'll expand, but maybe too much. Compared to the 65gr GK (which I really like) they seem a bit more explosive.

These were fired into water-filled milk jugs from a 16" barrel, with the penetration listed below:
62gr TSX - 3 jugs
65gr SGK - 2-1/2 jugs
69gr TMK - 1-1/2 jugs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 12 of 63 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.