Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ringworm
I've got 3...
Little Sandra-dee , the carnivore, Duey, the retard and Shadow the herder.
Chicken crap is good fertilizer and if you haven't learned by now, what makes your wife happy makes you happy.
I entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

Dayum. You're kinda smart, for an illiterate Neanderthal.
wink

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
those 2 roosters would not live to see sunset at my house.....

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Buy started pullets that are about ready to lay. Chicks are getting more expensive and you have to feed them for 5 months before you get eggs. Consider buying hybrids since they lay more and eat less than the traditional breeds.
Leave a light on in the winter to keep them laying. Collect eggs often to discourage hens from eating their own eggs.We have had chickens for 20 years and they have a big payback after your intial investment is covered.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Daughter sent me this e-mail of my Grandson's anatomical description of his Chicken.

[Linked Image]

Translation:

Fact complete:
Name: Fluffy Bunny

Head
Wings
Legs
Body

My earliest memories are of living with my Grandparents. No other kids around to play with, so I would go out to the Chicken coup and play with the chickens. I can still see the shafts of light coming thru holes and the dust swirling. That and turning Granddads Rabbits loose or sitting in the middle of his strawberry patch and plucking them off.

Last edited by battue; 05/24/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One plus of chickens is they eat dog poop, I think this gives their eggs especially yellow yolks grin

The LEAST effort chickens, just to have chickens around are what, for want of a better term, I call "fighting chickens", the sort bred for the pit. Common as dirt in parts of San Antonio.

Way back in the 70's we had some at our place up in NY, a rental quarters attached to a boarding stable. We got 'em from a relative of a relative up in Vermont who was parting out his stock in case he got raided or robbed.

The hens especially can fly like pheasants, and at feeding time will come flapping and gliding in 6ft off of the ground. They hide their nests off in the bushes too and eventually emerge all broody mothering around 12 or fifteen camouflaged chicks.

Ended up having so many I would go out and break up nests, or collect the eggs if they didn't have creatures in 'em yet.

That lasted for about a year. I don't believe the coons got 'em, they would roost way up in trees. I think it was the owls that finally figured them out as they suddenly started rapidly dwindling.

The rooster was the among the last to go, he was a good rooster too; handsome and friendly, red and black, with combs that had had been cut off in preparation for fighting. Spurs grow back, combs do not.

Birdwatcher.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Apparently my wife has a recessive (or is it latent?) farmer gene which is starting to manifest itself. Says she wants me to build her a small coop so she can raise chickens. What the %!&@? Guys, is this at all worth it for a few eggs and a breast (chicken that is wink ) every now and again? I do eat a lot of eggs and like chicken breast. Just not sure I want to raise these dumb birds and have them [bleep] all over the lawn and deck and such. Next year she wants a bee hive! eek Where does it end?

Jordab

Does she have the stones to to lop off Henrietta's head, or will that fall on you? smile

It's like buying a puppy, no matter how much the kids insist they will pick up the puppy-chow, plan on picking up puppy-chow.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by ringworm
I've got 3...
Little Sandra-dee , the carnivore, Duey, the retard and Shadow the herder.
Chicken crap is good fertilizer and if you haven't learned by now, what makes your wife happy makes you happy.
I entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

Dayum. You're kinda smart, for an illiterate Neanderthal.
wink

Uh...thanks?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rob, I hope you go through with it.
Chickens really are easy to have around. We have had egg layers around for years. Love them fresh eggs:)
The one thing I did different this year was get some dual purpose breeds, Buff Orpingtons and Columbian Wyandottes. They are cold weather hardy, give good egg production, and grow to a good size for butchering.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You get to chop their heads off and eat them.try that with cats or dogs, everybody gets so pizzed off its not even funny.

But chickens, nobody cares.

So worth it.

The plucking sucks, but the rest is pretty easy.

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
If you have ever watched how chickens are grown and processed, you will grow your own for the freezer. Maybe it should be a different thread.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iambrb

I read somewhere that the hens don't need a rooster around to lay?

If true, I could live without roosters around. smirk I'm not gonna have chickens here in the 'burbs, but eventually I'm thinking a small country house after I retire.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We have chickens they are work at first but it get easier,worth it Yes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only need a rooster if you want to hatch the eggs. And be annoyed enough you eventually kill it anyway.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by iambrb

I read somewhere that the hens don't need a rooster around to lay?

If true, I could live without roosters around. smirk I'm not gonna have chickens here in the 'burbs, but eventually I'm thinking a small country house after I retire.

I like roosters.. Maybe I'm part mexican.

But there have been some that scared the bejabbers out of me.. Big fuggers, with charlie manson eyes. I would have ground sluiced them with a 12 ga. if they ever put their spurs on me.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Raising chickens would be good....as long as there aren't eggs for sale anywhere but by the time you go through all the trouble to set things up and then put up with the hassle of what follows....NO....raising chickens is more trouble than it's worth!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy having chickens. Lately I have kept two roosters with the hens instead of one. Maybe it's just me, but it seems they are more preoccupied with their competition that way and don't seem to attack us. Or maybe just an individual thing, especially when you have plenty of hens. Either way, it is not a money making venture, it is a hobby, with which you can save a few dollars here and there or recoup a few from selling eggs.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The last retard I had crowed all damn day. Every day. When he flogged my daughter I sent him to chicken hell.

I don't see the point in a rooster if you're not hatching eggs. But then, some don't see the point in raising chickens when you can buy eggs in the store. grin

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
those 2 roosters would not live to see sunset at my house.....

Actually, watching a couple roosters running your wife around the yard can be quite entertaining! They never messed with me, just got after the wife and kids. All wife would have had to do was give them a swift kick, make them hurt, and they would have left her alone as well. I did keep my children close to me though, other wise they would have become chicken and noodles very quickly! LOL

As far for cheap eggs and chicken to eat, forget it unless you live in a rural area and can glean some corn fields after harvest for some free corn. Taste wise, you will never have better eggs and chicken from free ranged birds. I love to watch them chase crickets and bugs around too! If you have roosters, don't forget they start crowing before sun up and me prepared to deal with that. Story to follow......:)

My friend and his wife have chickens and she is always complaining about the roosters crowing at 5 AM and wanting to lop off their heads. This memorial weekend they went camping about an hours drive from here at a nice state park. (that means they were not home to keep the chicken thieves at bay) LOL

Buddy and myself went to their farm Saturday night, grabbed two of their roosters and caged them. Drove the hour drive there and put the cage of roosters under their camper about mid-night while they were sleeping. Have not talked with them, we normally get together on Saturadys. Can't wait to hear the story, especially when she figures out that they are her roosters! Yea, I can be a turd.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They may be her chickens,but you will do all the work.Chickens are the filthiest animals alive.You will collect the eggs.Clean the coop weekly and lay down fresh bedding.Buy the chicken feed,which by the way does not cost chicken feed.Make sure they have water.Put them out in the morning and lock them in at night.You will also need a enclosed room with heat lamps to raise the chicks into chickens.You do not buy full grown layers cause it takes until the second year before the start laying good and no one sells good layers.By the time you get eggs coming in good amounts you need to get $3.00 a dozen to break even and no one wants to pay three dollars a dozen cause the grocery store only charge $1.50.My suggestion is to save the time and work.Just drive down the highway with a basket full of 10 dollar bills and throw them out the window.At least then you are not feeding the coons,possums, snakes,owls,bla,bla,bla!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up with roosters around me, guess that's why it doesn't bother my sleep. When I lived in Mexico, there must have been 40+ in the neighborhood around me. I slept great.

I can even tolerate peacocks. Now that's the way to go nuclear with your neighbors..

EEEE-YOWWW!!! EEEE-YOOOW!! EEE-YOOOWW!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.