Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Does anyone compost their lawn grass clippings? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I do but a bit differently. I put it around my garden plants to keep the weeds down. I hear you are not supposed to do that for some reason but it works for me. It also keeps the moisture in the dirt. By next spring it is dirt.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I leave mine on the lawn. If you don't mow often enough and you have them in piles on the lawn, raise the mower to it's highest setting and run over then again to spread them out. They're good for the grass.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
I hear you are not supposed to do that for some reason but it works for me.

I do the same as you with good results. The only reason I have heard not to is if the lawn the clippings came from a lawn that was recently treated with weed control. Depending what it was it can stunt or kill the tomato plants.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pine needles, newspaper, chicken droppings and veggie pulp from juicing all on one pile.
Grows awesome worms as well.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes and yes.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I did it for a summer at my old house, kept them in black plastic bags, then in the fall, I laid out cardboard where I wanted my garden in spring, then piled the clippings on the cardboard. Covered it with plastic and in spring, had an insanely fertile garden. This year I turned over a new garden patch with clippings on it, and added some earthworms. We'll see how it does.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I leave mine on the lawn. If you don't mow often enough and you have them in piles on the lawn, raise the mower to it's highest setting and run over then again to spread them out. They're good for the grass.

Same here. Mulching mower and no bag. I love the no bag part.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mulching only really works if you mow frequently otherwise it creates thatch which kills the lawn. I bag mine and put it in the compost dumpster. City composts it and I go pick up a truck load in the spring for free.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My yard guy uses a mulching blade, and the clippings just to into the yard as fine mulch. Works fine for me.

Sam......

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by eh76
Mulching only really works if you mow frequently otherwise it creates thatch which kills the lawn. I bag mine and put it in the compost dumpster. City composts it and I go pick up a truck load in the spring for free.

I've mulched for years, and we get very heavy grass in the spring/early summer. Never killed anything yet. Thatch is not produced from clippings anyway--it is actually from poorly-grown grass that produces surface stolons which die off and smother themselves.

A mulched lawn is a happy lawn, and much greener, drought-resistant, and better fertilized than any other.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by eh76

I've mulched for years, and we get very heavy grass in the spring/early summer. Never killed anything yet. Thatch is not produced from clippings anyway--it is actually from poorly-grown grass that produces surface stolons which die off and smother themselves.

A mulched lawn is a happy lawn, and much greener, drought-resistant, and better fertilized than any other.
Your story here unless you cut. 3 times a week it doesn't work. No humidity and little heat.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Improper watering is a major cause of thatch and other lawn problems. Automatic sprinklers are lawn killers because they're usually set to water shallow and way to often. You need to put down a full inch of water then let it completely dry out. Depending on conditions, 5 to 7 days between waterings is about right. The inch of water will go down deep and the roots will follow.
Light shallow waterings will cause the roots to stay in the top inch or so of soil which is what causes the thatch buildup.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely. But grass clippings alone stink to high heaven. Save your leaves from the fall, and mix them in with the grass. You want a 50/50 brown/green mix. Keep it moist like a damp sponge. Turn it once a week. Add all your kitchen veggie waste. You'll be amazed at the beautiful compost that comes out.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fugg a bunch of bagging. I don't have a big lawn, but it's big enough I ain't about to start bagging.

Mulching blades and a chute block turn dry grass into almost a powder. Wet lawn and high grass clump a good bit. Ain't no big thing. The dog does more damage than a bit of clumpy grass clippings.

Besides, my yard is lumpy and uneven. Hoping the mulching helps out a little.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by grouseman
Absolutely. But grass clippings alone stink to high heaven. Save your leaves from the fall, and mix them in with the grass. You want a 50/50 brown/green mix. Keep it moist like a damp sponge. Turn it once a week. Add all your kitchen veggie waste. You'll be amazed at the beautiful compost that comes out.

This.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Does anyone compost their lawn grass clippings? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Jordan

Trouble is that often the amount of lawn clippings generated by regular mowing will swamp a compost heap..Personally, I wouldn't want a heap that was more than a 3rd grass clippings...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why you save your leaves from the fall. Add them in to the clippings.

And no, I don't bag every single time either. I mostly will mulch, but then do a bag for the composter when it needs it. And I had a big one - two bins each about 3'x3'x3'. Will build a similar size at the new place.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grouseman
That's why you save your leaves from the fall. Add them in to the clippings.

And no, I don't bag every single time either. I mostly will mulch, but then do a bag for the composter when it needs it. And I had a big one - two bins each about 3'x3'x3'. Will build a similar size at the new place.

Thats the way to go if you have lots of fall leaves..Another thing I would not add is hedge clipping from things like Leylandi or similar; those things seem to take for ever to break down..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.