Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Following on from the Home Invasion thread, just wondering if anybody uses the .45cal Marlin Camp Carbine for home defence?

I believe they are discontinued now..

Are they are any other similar pistol calibre carbines on the market apart from the older lever actions?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlin made the Camp 9 as well.

Figure a 30 carbine for HD would be the schizzle.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Saw a Camp 9 for sale in Boone last week. They wanted 900 for it. That is getting close to what a good M1 costs.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Saw a Camp 9 for sale in Boone last week. They wanted 900 for it. That is getting close to what a good M1 costs.

Folding stock M1 Carbine would work also, even if "only" .30cal..

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Brother in Law has a Marlin and a Ruger carbine in 9MM. He also has Beretta CX4 carbines in .45, .40 and 9MM.
I have had the opportunity to shoot them all, and they can be a lot of fun.
For the weight and size though, I'd pick something else for home defense.

Sam......

IC B2

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah..but 9mm V .45 cal is another debate entirely!

I am suprised nobdy has released a modern, reasonable carbine that works on say Glock magazines..I am sure it would sell well in the US..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Camp 9 in my closet next to the 12 ga. It uses the same magazines as my S&W carry pistols, and 20 rounders are available from Mec-gar. The carbines are pretty heavy for their size being blowback and with a fat stock, recoil is nonexistent. Very fun guns to shoot. I don’t have my notes handy but I chrono’d some Speer 124 gr. +P gold dots once, and I want to say they were in the 1600s, but I may be wrong about that.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to handle an M1 in the office the other day, one of my employees was bequeathed it.

I couldn't get him to let go....

yet.

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Brother in Law has a Marlin and a Ruger carbine in 9MM. He also has Beretta CX4 carbines in .45, .40 and 9MM.
I have had the opportunity to shoot them all, and they can be a lot of fun.
For the weight and size though, I'd pick something else for home defense.

The Marlins look fairly light and handy? Certainly a lot lighter than a typical 12 gauge semi auto?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Fire him. Then he will need money.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I used to have a Camp 9. Actually I bought 4 of them when the city PD traded them in on M4s. Sold all but one, kept it for a while, shot it a bit and sold it. I am thinking I maybe should have kept it, but I saw no real value in it, as for SD/HD, I would rather have an M4 every time. Fun guns though. Id really like a .45 version, just because.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mec-tec makes a conversion kit for glocks,1911s and I think XDs.
Ruger used to make the police carbine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pete E

The Marlins look fairly light and handy? Certainly a lot lighter than a typical 12 gauge semi auto?

My dad has had the Camp 9 for as long as I can remember. They are not light but they are cool carbines.

The concept has been attempted more than a few times but (as Mackay stated) you're going to end up asking yourself why you aren't using an M4.

They're not much lighter. They are no more handy. And they are no easier to keep on target.

I would say the best thing going nowadays are the Berettas. They use pistol mags and are bad ass little guns. The old Ruger PC 40's were bad ass little guns as well. Crazy accurate too.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How were the Marlins reliability wise? Was there a reason why the various police forces ditched them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mec-Tech makes carbines. So does Hi-Point.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I used to have a Camp 9. Actually I bought 4 of them when the city PD traded them in on M4s. Sold all but one, kept it for a while, shot it a bit and sold it. I am thinking I maybe should have kept it, but I saw no real value in it, as for SD/HD, I would rather have an M4 every time. Fun guns though. Id really like a .45 version, just because.

Mac, it would be fine to use a 5.56x45 in YOUR AO but in most places, the rifle round really does pose a penetration problem. The handgun rounds not so much. Cut loose an M4 in a subdivision and there is a very real danger of a slug going INTO someone elses house. Pete, there is part of you answer too. Police would require more accurate range and penetration.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Marlins I've used were dead nuts reliable.

The reason PD's ditch them is the M4. I would say in the past decade it has been well established that there are very few problems that can't be solved with a duty sidearm, M4, or 12 gauge.

Also, if you are buying on letterhead for your department or agency, why go with a rifle sized sub-gun? You're competing against the likes of the MP5 and UMP40.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How were the Marlins reliability wise? Was there a reason why the various police forces ditched them?

I think the various police departments traded up for M-4's as the M-4 is a better longer-range gun; when a cop responds to an incident, he may be the only cop there at first (it might take long minutes or longer for others to arrive). An M-4 is a handy weapon that offers more power (223 vs. 45 ACP), longer range and, it just looks more menacing (first impressions do count).

The Marlin Camp Carbines were reliable and handy to use, but cops (and para-military groups) do like to mimic the military.

Just my opinion, but it's mine!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah..but 9mm V .45 cal is another debate entirely!

I am suprised nobdy has released a modern, reasonable carbine that works on say Glock magazines..I am sure it would sell well in the US..

they have, you can convert a glock to a carbine

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I loved my Ruger .40 carbine. I agree that soft point 5.56 is safer than a pistol round in an urban setting but the wife does not like the muzzle flash and blast of a 14.5" tube. The Ruger pushed 180 gold dots to 1200 fps and was very easy for her to shoot. I would not mind grabbing another one since I foolishly sold mine.

Another option is the Justright carbine. It takes glock magazines in an M-4 style rifle.

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.