Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Guys it was the most humid 85deg Ive shot in a while, I mounted a proven 12X Leupold using the mounts that came on gun, I took a heavy steel WeaverV7-1 , 2.5 x 7 off, it did look classic on the gun and was prob the only scope thats ever been on it.
Any how I was off my game a bit and it took 3 shots to cut the bottom edge of stick on bull.
The next two shots were high as I kept twisting turrents. Im like BSA I want BLACK, shot 3 was black 4 and 5 were close enough for me to say bingo she is a keeper!
I plan on a set of double D's ( again like BSA) and a proven Leupold 8X AO fixed ,these shots today were using Rem 168 gr match that I use as a baseline, I will hunt with 155gr Lapua Senars (sp?) as they are wicked on whitetails!
Two things I noticed 1 The barrel heats up fast, 2 Got a dog dam nice sharp rap with Alum butt plate and wearing a t shirt.
Long story she is a keeper, shoots like all pre 64's Ive owned to date. I see no need for me to pillar bed this gal as it will be a fair weather gun, Its nice so i will baby it. very best WinPoor
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That should work both fine and dandy. A little varget mixed with 155's should be perfect. Plug one of those fat young one's in the picture and I'll bring the fixin's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You will not find many nicer. I like it a lot.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn beautiful, all the way around, winpoor. Great shooting rifle and nut behind the butt... Very nice looking fwt too. Nice to see another great shooting fwt.. My buddy has one here that I will be putting a Mcmillan hunters compact on, here in a few months. It's his only hunting rifle and he's pretty excited that I'm going to install and glass bed the stock for him. Winpoor, if you feel like shooting some cheap bullets, his rifle really likes the Hornady 150gr. SP interlocks. Those have worked great on deer and elk for my friend. Thanks for sharing your new rifle with us..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Winchesterpoor: No, Winchesterpoor, no!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gotta agree with bsa on the Hornaday 150 Interlocks. When I got my second fwt. 308 from Yar, that (Am. Whitetail 150s) was all I had on hand at the time to try it out with. Once I got the scope zeroed it shot pretty much one ragged hole 3 shot group at 50 yds. and right at .7" at 100yds (4 shots with one flyer). Needless to say, I haven't looked any further for what to shoot in it. I realize the wisdom of wanting to take advantage of the long action and some people shy away from the s/a cartridges in the pre-64s, but damn if there isn't something sweet about having your favorite cartridge in your favorite rifle:)
John

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Varmint Guy, What would ou have me do put em in the safe and look at em once a week?,One safe is supposed to hold 24 and I ding more guns there than hunting them! Ive got about 80 acres up on the river out the back door, I control all traffic, feed the does and they bring the bucks in, some years I harvest 2 bucks ,some times none here at all nail em down the road 4 miles, we can take 12 ! Out of 3 bucks last year I hunted 45 min! I do baby them , heck if the weather is less than bluebird I take the 25-06, shilen barrel,borden stock,53' action. The unfired 338 and BULL 300 H&H are still unfired, I sold the almost un fire std 220 swift, I did kill a nice buck with the unfired 264 win mag, on shot 9 thru barrel. Talk about baby, I walked every 100 yard shot so as not to heat it up!I am very kind to these guns! I cannot take em with me and life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun. At my age I do very little Indian, walk and stop hunting like I used to love. I have one stand on river bottom that I like to hunt with my old mod 94, 60 yard is a long shot but the mature hardwood bottoms and ridge is just beautiful to sit in stand and watch river roll by, I hate to shoot one down there as its hell to get him out! Im building my last whitetail hammer, a mis managed 257 BOB target, was left in a zip up gun case for over 10 years after the owner passed away, The bore is fantastic, so after cleaning to the hilt its getting a ceracoat job, pillar bedded in a featherweight stock ,double D Bases and rings, a nice 4.5 x 15 ao with the varmint reticule, some +P's and 110 gr accubonds it will be my precision, ear and neck, heat shot whitetail medicine . If its work out like Im sure it will I will 'retire' several mod 70's that are no worse for the wear Ive put to them! very best winpoor

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My FWT 308 is very fond of 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. The deer not so much. I have found no reason to hand load for it using Federal premium ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Mr GSP, When the Nosler ballistic tips came out here I got on 165 gr Federal Ammo in 308 and 30-06, very accurate and just bang flop on whitetails, I started trying accubonds and they seem just as accurate and just as deadly, I bought a couple hundred rounds of Lapua 155 Scenars for my 308's on sale at graf and sons just to look see and Ive been real impressed with both accuracy and how the only 2 whitetails Ive shot with them. both went down in tracks. First time in my life Ive strayed from 165,168 gr in 308 or 06.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I tried the accubond's in a 257 R last year and was impressed. I used the 110gr and will give it a try in my 257 WBY. I have never heard of Lapua scenas.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/9467
Every now and again they will run a special, the Brass is supposed to be the best made, Ive found it super accurate and wicked on whitetails. Last winter I zeroed a friends Police or tac type rifle with them, short barrel job maybe 20 or 22 inches and it was one hole,cloverleaf accurate, 3 shots and 3 bang flop deer. WinPoor

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At $2 a round it should be fantastic. In all reality with todays ammo there is no need to handload for a deer rifle, a varmint rifle where your going to use it a lot is a different story. I still need to work up a load for the 243 and the two 220 Swifts and the 7MM/08 just because I started it and need to finish it off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shooting! smile

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Back when I bought mine they were 1.5 / rd. I bought a case of rem match 168 gr smks for a 1.04 a round in years past I had a gun that shot it better than the Fed match round., My 30-06 match ammo is federal. I used to get a 175 gr SMK Federal that was cats azz, I cannot find it anymore. Folks say not to hunt with it but Ive never had a problem with whitetails if that is what I had the gun zeroed with. Im bad to brain stem a deer if everything is just right. v best winpoor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a buddy that has used smk's for years on deer and swears by them. Light jacketed but on deer seems to work just fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.