Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That picture of an Encore with a broken stock is a catastrophic failure?

I"d suggest just leaving this forum, take your whine and cheese with you please.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In fact, from a legal prospective, it would seem to me that manufacturers are exempt from any liability in the use of handloads.

Think of it this way. If you buy a commercial cartridge that turns out to be overloaded and you get injured by how the rifle reacts to it,..who gets sued? The ammo manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer?

You contradict yourself. The question is not whether the cartridge is handloaded or commercial, the question is if it is dangerously overloaded, regardless of whether it is handloaded or factory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
In fact, from a legal prospective, it would seem to me that manufacturers are exempt from any liability in the use of handloads.

Think of it this way. If you buy a commercial cartridge that turns out to be overloaded and you get injured by how the rifle reacts to it,..who gets sued? The ammo manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer?

You contradict yourself. The question is not whether the cartridge is handloaded or commercial, the question is if it is dangerously overloaded, regardless of whether it is handloaded or factory.

What does a highly compressed load 6.6 grains (8.3%) over book maximum say (max is at 79.4 grains, his stated load was 85 grains)? Run the pressure calcs on even QuickLoad and you start getting into ridiculous pressure ranges.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
[quote=taylorce1][Linked Image]

As long as I'm idly wishing for answers, what it the black thing on end of the barrel in this picture? Muzzle brake, or ?
Factory? If not, what?

Electrical tape or a muzzle brake???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by The OP from a different forum

I need to ask my gun expert and lawyer for a definite part failure list. The Gun stock for sure broke! I know what parts appeared to be damaged and what caused it to open. But I don’t know if I can say that particular part failed.

10 years of trial, and you haven't acquainted yourself with what exactly on the gun failed, the gun which may have contributed to the loss of an eye and the gun that caused you to doggedly sue a firearm manufacturer for a decade?

Why is this turning into a joke?

Not only that, but who is the gun expert we keep hearing about and what lab and testing procedures did they use?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 4ager

What does a highly compressed load 6.6 grains (8.3%) over book maximum say (max is at 79.4 grains, his stated load was 85 grains)? Run the pressure calcs on even QuickLoad and you start getting into ridiculous pressure ranges.

And that's assuming his stated "seated long" bullets weren't actually in contact with the lands jacking pressure even higher...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You're mixing up issues. I'm merely making the point that the issue is if a cartridge is overloaded, not if it is factory or handloaded. Your question is a question of fact.

I don't have any position as to this particular set of facts. I'll abide by what the jury said. They heard the evidence. Let them decide.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not mixing up any issues. I'm relating this specifically to the situation at hand.

None of us have enough pertinent facts in this one to know one way or the other. That's what people keep trying to get by asking questions, and the answers given are raising more and more serious questions as they go.

Juries in civil cases quite often go by the way side on appeal or a retrial, especially when a mere 10% liability would have resulted in no award at all.

The point is that folks want to know what happened to try to determine whether the OP was truly at fault or whether there is a very dangerous firearm out there in circulation so that they can act accordingly. It wasn't too long ago that the Mossberg 4x4 was under the same sort of scrutiny and a lot of questions and facts that came to light on internet forums like this one led to that very bad, very dangerous design being completely overhauled (if not completely withdrawn).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jury awards of civil damages are often changed on appeal, that is to say the amounts. The determination of liability is SELDOM changed on appeal. The Courts are and always have been very reluctant to override juries on questions of fact and a jury's interpretation of them.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

No contradiction.

If a firearm fails due to an overloaded cartridge, who is responsible for the failure? The rifle or the overloaded cartridge?

In this case, the owner was the manufacturer of the ammo.

So the question is, if a commercial ammo manufacturer sold some overloaded ammo and the rifle shooting it failed, who is liable? The ammo manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe

No contradiction.

If a firearm fails due to an overloaded cartridge, who is responsible for the failure? The rifle or the overloaded cartridge?

So the question is, if a commercial ammo manufacturer sold some overloaded ammo and the rifle shooting it failed, who is liable? The ammo manufacturer or the rifle manufacturer?

Yes, you do. I'll turn your question on its head.

If a handloader loads ammunition that is within SAAMI specs and the firearm fails, does the firearm manufacturer escape liability just because the cartridge was a handload?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jury awards of civil damages are often changed on appeal, that is to say the amounts. The determination of liability is SELDOM changed on appeal. The Courts are and always have been very reluctant to override juries on questions of fact and a jury's interpretation of them.

Not always so, if there was a problem with the jury instructions or a misapplication of the law or similar; thus the motion for a retrial and the basis for a possible appeal (neither of which do we have in front of us, and I'm sure Brian will tell us that we'd have to go to the court in Michigan to get it).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No contradiction.

If a handloader loads ammunition that is within SAAMI specs and the firearm fails, does the firearm manufacturer escape liability just because the cartridge was a handload?

Hard to be within SAAMI specs when you're 8.3% over capacity, highly compressed, and way over the recommended book load, and even more so when your gun expert and testing lab and procedures are more highly classified that Hillary's internet server.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Now you're jumping from a simple application of a legal principle to trying to assume facts and apply them to the case at hand again.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're not. But that fact is that a manufacturer does not escape liability MERELY BECAUSE handloaded ammunition was used.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

No contradiction.

How will they ever be able to prove that the cartridge which destroyed the rifle was SAAMI spec?

There's no way to do it. It's been fired and it's gone. So that's why I say that firerarm manufacturers should be exempt from damage to a firearm from the use of handloaded ammo.

That doesn't mean that I'm anti handloading or even that I'm anti hotloads.

It's just the nature of the beast. The firearm manufacturers have no control over what somebody cooks up and fires through their guns.

The only reasonable way for them to address the issue is to claim no responsibility or warranty for the use of handloaded ammo.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How will they ever be able to prove that the cartridge which destroyed the rifle was SAAMI spec?

There's no way to do it. It's been fired and it's gone. So that's why I say that firerarm manufacturers should be exempt from damage to a firearm from the use of handloaded ammo.

That doesn't mean that I'm anti handloading or even that I anti hotloads.

It's just the nature of the beast. The firearm manufacturers have no control over what somebody cooks up and fires through their guns.

The only reasonable way for them to address the issue is to claim no responsibility or warranty for the use of handloaded ammo

How do you prove a factory cartridge was within specs? You fire it and it is gone. Factories make mistakes as well from time to time.

The standard in a civil trial is by preponderance of the evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt. In other words, it is a 51% to 49% standard. Thus, you prove something with regard to a handloaded shell the same way you do a factory shell. You look at all the information you can find. You look at shells loaded at the same time. You look at the case. You look at the firearm. You get expert opinions and so on and so forth.

Having said all that, it IS much more difficult to prove with handloading because the perception at least, is that some guy out in his garage is much more likely to make a mistake than a machine in a factory. That isn't always so, but like I said, by the time four or five $700 an hour attorneys run you and handloading through the wringer for four or five years, you'll look like a combination of Dr. Faustus and Yosemite Sam churning out miniature grenades, just waiting for the primer to strike and maim everyone within a 50 foot radius.

So, having said ALL that, I'm very impressed that a jury found a firearms manufacturer 60% liable when there was admitted handloading. There must have been some pretty compelling evidence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Encore_RifleShotgun_Manual_03-30-15.pdf

Please take a look at the second page, top 1/3 of the page, in bright red and bold. Same warning on page 3, and page 6, and throughout the manual.

Top of page six reads: "ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR PARTICULAR FIREARM as indicated by the marking on the firearm. Never use non-standard, reloaded, or "handloaded" ammunition which has not been subjected to internal ballistic pressure testing."

The top of page ten is a huge, bold, red disclaimer and warning on the use of handloads.

Big old warnings all throughout that improper use or use of improper ammunition could cause serious injury or death.

I'm not seeing how T/C didn't properly advise customers of any potential dangers and how they produced a faulty manual (one of the jury findings). It's in bold, red, and plain English on damned near every page.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So, having said ALL that, I'm very impressed that a jury found a firearms manufacturer 60% liable when there was admitted handloading. There must have been some pretty compelling evidence.

That, or a damned sympathetic jury feeling sorry for the injured person and against the "evil firearms company". As you've said, we weren't there, so we don't know what the jury was thinking.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
We disagree.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Encore_RifleShotgun_Manual_03-30-15.pdf

Please take a look at the second page, top 1/3 of the page, in bright red and bold. Same warning on page 3, and page 6, and throughout the manual.

Top of page six reads: "ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR PARTICULAR FIREARM as indicated by the marking on the firearm. Never use non-standard, reloaded, or "handloaded" ammunition which has not been subjected to internal ballistic pressure testing."

The top of page ten is a huge, bold, red disclaimer and warning on the use of handloads.

Big old warnings all throughout that improper use or use of improper ammunition could cause serious injury or death.

I'm not seeing how T/C didn't properly advise customers of any potential dangers and how they produced a faulty manual (one of the jury findings). It's in bold, red, and plain English on damned near every page.

And take a look at the link:

June 2015 Issue of Handloader Magazine

There it is in plain view that not only does Thompson Center endorse handloading as a practice, they feel it is safe in their products and they profit from the advertising specifically aimed at selling their products to those who handload.

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.