Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gitem_12
For the money that kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

^^^^^^

This

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JMR40
For the money that kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

When you buy a Kimber you're not paying for workmanship. At that price or even less there are rifles with better workmanship. You are paying a premium for a rifle that is 2-3 lbs lighter than the competition. If you want a rifle that weighs under 6 lbs scoped it is a bargain. Anything else at that weight will cost 2X-3X more.

So it doesn't matter if it shoots good or not?

Can you tell I'm not a Kimber lover? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
You need to borrow some targets from BSA hunter, his are never over 1/2 inch...

Bet he doesn't blow up guns though.....

BCSteve, hope you can figure it out soon.

Last edited by gerrygoat; 05/29/15.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Berger's twist rate calculator shows the 120 GMX as being real marginal on stability in a 9 twist. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's most of the reason for the truly abysmal accuracy there.

Otherwise the rifle looks like it just needs the SAS treatment, and I suspect it will be shooting fine. Funny thing is, depending on the order in which the Fusions were shot, if you had stopped at three shots some of the groups would have been just over the magic MOA everyone seems to think is necessary to kill a deer. This is a good example of why a person shouldn't rely on 3 shot groups to determine accuracy.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 05/29/15.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Have you thought about another scope?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know of a few members here who had trouble with 260 MT's(several years ago).

Pretty sure that was the trouble child for Kimber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's interesting that the groups seemed to get worse as you went along.

Bad scope? Cracked mount or ring? All the other stuff of course.

I've seen a lot on here about proper bench technique for light rifles. If you're not experienced in that area, you might want to ask someone who is so you can properly evaluate the progress you hopefully will make finding the problem.

Good luck. It's tough when you get all fired up about a new toy and then run into trouble.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The .260 quietly left the Kimber lineup after a year or so. I think Kimber hired grief counselors for their "customer service".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those targets look like most of the Ruger 77s that I have owned. crazy

Fortunately I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM that makes holes just like BSA's targets. wink

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The .260 quietly left the Kimber lineup after a year or so. I think Kimber hired grief counselors for their "customer service".

With a used 260 this was my first thought as well, but I would double check the scope/mounts first and then try the SAS treatment before reaching that conclusion.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know of a few members here who had trouble with 260 MT's(several years ago).

Pretty sure that was the trouble child for Kimber.

I remember reading about that, now that you mention it. I've always wondered if they dropped the chambering because of poor sales, or because of possible accuracy issues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

With a used 260 this was my first thought as well, but I would double check the scope/mounts first and then try the SAS treatment before reaching that conclusion.

Good idea here. The SAS/brad treatment should be pursued.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In case there is anyone relatively inexperienced out there reading this, it isn't the cartridge that is problematic. The 260 Remington is easy to work with.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have two Montanas; a 257R (purchased used) and a 708. The 708 shot about like your 260 and the 257R was even worse. I followed Stick's and SAS treatment and both shoot great now. The biggest problem, as far as I can tell, was the bedding.

This is what I did to improve the accuracy of my 708:
-lightened the trigger
-had the crown touched up (it was really rough)
-fully floated the barrel back to the lug
-bedded the lug tight and drimmeled under for some clearance.
-replaced the front guard screw with a Rem 700 (had to trim down a few threads)

I'm still in the load development stage so most of my groups are 50 yds but it give you an idea of how it will shoot. I've tried 120 NBT, 120 TTSX, 140 AB and 140 NBT and get good accuracy with everything so far.

120 TTSX and RL-15
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

the crown before it was touched up
[Linked Image]

Good luck with the 260

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For the money that Kimbers cost, why do people tolerate that level of shoddy workmanship?

On the handguns, I think it's because they look fancy.

On the long guns, it's a mystery to me.

Never understood the rolling of the dice by so many.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When you get ready to sell.... Let me know... Seriously

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
When you get ready to sell.... Let me know... Seriously

Same here. I own 7 Kimbers (3 Montanas, 2 Classics, 2 Classic Selects) and they are all shooters. Maybe I should buy a Lotto ticket from what I'm reading here.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
lochsa I would not be surprised to see a good bedding job give those results.It doesn't take 5 minutes to check this stuff. The bedding on mine is so obviously "bad" you really can't miss it.

I've had a 257 Roberts Montana that shot great; but I think every Kimber should come with an "Possible Assembly Required" warning label on the box. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
BCSteve Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I figured this thread would get attention.

To answer some of the questions and comments.

I was shooting with a front rest and a rear bag but was holding the forend behind the rest to reduce the hop off the bag instead of letting it free recoil.

The rings are new and not cracked. The scope is proven but I may try a different one that the road if nothing else works.

I have some 140gr A-Max, SMK's, Scenars and 130gr Bergers that I may load to try if a "target" bullet would be more accurate.

The barrel was scrubbed down to metal and DBC applied. Shot 10-12 rounds to cure the product and cleaned with Wipe-out prior to this range session. I cleaned the barrel with Wipe-out after this range session and it didn't appear to be overly dirty.

I'm going to take it out of the stock tomorrow and check the mag box, action screw length and scope base screws to start with.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by BCSteve; 05/29/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Steve drop the action back into the stock without the mag box. Be interested in what you see.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.