Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

I have a problem. I have a lot of lures and I hate doubling lures up in compartments in my boxes. They end up tangled, scratched, hard to find, etc. I bought a Cabela's Advanced Angler Super Magnum soft bag a few years ago, which allowed me to separate things but it is so large and bulky that its a pain to carry (literally). I end up taking 3-4 3700's out and using them which defeats the purpose and I always seem to leave something I want behind.

My question to all of you is what system do you find to be the most compact but still orderly? I fish mostly crankbaits and spoons, with jigs for walleye at times. Any recommendations?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck,,, we all suffer this. I have never found the perfect tackle system. I did find a box a couple of years ago made by flambue that worked for me really well, but they discontinued it. It had lots of small fixed compartments on one side and a foam deal on the other for flies that I would store tiny jigs on. It was perfect. Looking for something else now.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just ordered one of the soft tackle bags that holds 4, Plano 3600 size boxs, with several smaller pockets that hold smaller boxs.
i have no idea how I will set it up, but I really need to get organized.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I started using some of that "pull & pluck" foam that comes in Pelican waterproof cases in some of my Plano boxes. You can hook your small lures in it so they don't get tangled. You can even double layer them if you want.

Anyone try the Plano crankbait boxes? Are they more efficient?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a double sided crankbait box an yes they are pretty practical. You can get more in a regular box but not as tangle resistant.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Discipline; restraint. grin

We carry a lot but I will bet $10 bucks the bulk of fish are caught on a handful of baits, depending on season.

I am no walleye fisherman, almost exclusively bass these days. I have a couple of jig bags since we throw a lot of them. But hard baits are restricted to a few spinnerbaits of varying weight,and crank baits/jerk baits and a top water or two suited to the season.

I set my Plano plastic boxes up with known producers based on seasonal effectiveness. One....at most two, plastic boxes go in the boat per day. That's all.

The "spring" box of hardware type baits never sees summer duty, and DD 22's are reserved for summer.Even my "fall" box is different. Doubt I ever have more than 2-3 of any given type in the boat at any give time.

Color variations will kill you, keeping too many baits of the same type but different colors...takes up space ,makes it too confusing,and rarely shows huge dividends.Stick with a couple of basics proven in the area. KISS.

For me, same with jigs. I like different colors.....Black and Blue and Green Pumpkin and if it isn't one of those I probably don't have it.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/28/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I go with tons of plano 3700's. One for jigs; one for floating rapalas, one for divers, etc. They can be stashed in storage compartments in the boat. I have several Plano 787's that I a phasing out, as they take up too much room in the boat.

Although I generally subscribe to Bobinnh's kiss principle, I got caught the other night where I needed jigs of different colors. I had a pink and white and was catching 4 crappies to each one my partner caught on an orange tube jig. But whe we moved to chase perch, they wanted nothing to do with the pink and white Switched to orange and blue and I got to play. Likewise last Saturday, I had a plain white head jig and caught 6 fish (4 walleyes and 2 pike) while my partners threw other jigs and took just one walleye. Of course, that could just be the skill of the fisherman. . ;-)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Restraint? Blasphemy!

We tend to do a lot of species hopping which makes me switch presentations a lot. I could probably reduce some color options, but I usually have a couple people along that have a lot less tackle options, so multiples are handy when you find something that works.

I'm heading out on my annual fishing trip in Northern Sask next weekend. I have to pair down my tackle then as we take everything in with a Zodiac so space is limited. Inevitably I find myself wishing for something I left behind. We still catch fish (a tally count of 183 walleye in 2 days of fishing with my son and I) but sometimes you want to try a different presentation style.

So far my Plano double layer Magnum with 7 3500 cases in the bottom seems to be the most compact system for up north. I added elastic bands across the top of the spoon hangers to hold them in place when the box gets bounced around.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Well this is one time ill agree without an argument with a lawyer lol.
There is no doubt lures are designed primarily to catch fishermen. Not to say they dont work because for sure they do.
And admittedly im as guilty as most as for owning more than i need.
Here in Florida, most trips with a professional guide will start
with either buying or collecting live bait. Thats true in both
fresh and salt water and especially so in salt.
Tournament anglers and tv stars dont count as their paid to endorse products.
But the people who earn their living producing fish for customers wont be carrying huge tackle boxes onto the boat each day.
Next time i go to Quebec im taking 3 rods as i always do. But
this time there will be only the 3 lures. A red and white Daredevil and a few spares. A couple swimming plugs like a Rapala. And about 25 jigs from 1/8 to maybe 3/8 oz with the majority of them 1/4 oz.
One plastic box should hold the spoons and rapalas and another will hold the jigs. Might even buy a pair of pants with cargo pockets to hold the plastic boxes and the pliers and stuff.
I would also pickup a container of nightcrawlers and if it was legal to do so id also take a small cast net.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here is my new tackle system, a Plano 3600 X.
I think the organization of having almost everything in plastic boxs is going to work out well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a multi species fisherman, which creates a lot of gear in the boat. Crappies, sunfish, bass, walleye, and now I've been infected with the muskie bug. The muskie stuff is seperate, as that's a whole ball game unto it's self. As for the other gear, I went through my boxes this spring and realized I had several pounds of brand new jigs that I'll never use. I gave some to my buddy, and made up three fishing kits to give to kids. The whole deal only cost me about $40.00. Each kid got a spincast outfit spooled with fresh line, a small tackle box with a complete setup of simple to use gear including a stringer, flashlight, nail clippers, a hook disgourger, and an invite to go fishing with me this summer. I picked up most of the stuff I didn't all ready have at garage sales. I've had two of the kids out fishing so far, and it's been a good time.

Now my boxes aren't filled beyond capacity, and I can actually find what I'm looking for. Like most anglers, I carry way more gear that I could ever begin to use, but at least the box is a little lighter now. My go-to stuff is in the easiest to get to compartments, and the "lurkers" fill the rest. I run one conventional tackle box and one flat Plano tray with adjustable compartments. For muskie, I'll be using a simple bucket with boards in it to hang the lures vertically, and one other yet-to-be-determined flat box for leaders, tools, and everything else.

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/31/15.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,320
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.