-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Back from the German Eiffel and we had a blast smile Many trouts, wild river and splendid landscapes smile smile

River's bottom is pretty chaotic and very hard to Wade. I Barely broke my leg and drown myself but thé harder we fish the better we appreciate every catch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/xle829.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2j0m63l.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2m66ckh.jpg[/img]

Made my lunch from that one yesterday

[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/33xfrs5.jpg[/img][/quote]

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking country (and beer and food!) Looks like grasshopper patterns?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, it's a (pretty big) trichoptera (sedge in English ? ) with wings cutted from a tri-colours pheasant feather.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I designed a whole new range of flies for the trip 'cause I didn't had tied flies for almost 12 years smirk I tried 6 of my patterns and 4 caught fish, at least 4 fishes per fly. Very happy with this, especially with those shy fario trouts.

I used mostly epehemropteras but also ants and trichopteras.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
No, it's a (pretty big) trichoptera (sedge in English ? ) with wings cutted from a tri-colours pheasant feather.

I used mostly epehemropteras but also ants and trichopteras.

Ah yes. Caddis (some varieties called Sedges). We fish with a lot of them, especially this time of year. Mostly we have a shorter wing variety called Brachycentridae that is best replicated by the Elk Hair caddis and depending on the stream, they are orange, green or brown hued.

This time of year we also get a reasonable hatch of Pale Morning Dun mayflies ( Ephemerella excrucians ) and soon here terrestrials will be the fly of choice (ants, beetles and grasshoppers)for many of the streams I fish.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What kinds of fish do you aim ?

Here it's only brown fario trout and grayling for the more experienced nymph casters (This I never tried yet, I'm still trying to upgrade my skills with dry flies). In some rivers you find rainbows but it can't be natural populations.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The region I live in has a wide variety of trout, some native, some stocked but holding over year to year.

For the most part, any native trout are Browns but local to me trout only survive for the summer in a couple streams. The others get too warm. One of them is a tail water below a dam and the other couple are small mountain streams.

Getting further north into Pennsylvania or out into western Maryland they have nice mixes of Browns, Rainbows and Brook trout. Here are some pictures of the region.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice fish.. I have spent quite a bit of time in northern W. Va. Have only passed though norther Maryland on I believe 68.. Some good looking country there..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice fish.. I have spent quite a bit of time in northern W. Va. Have only passed though norther Maryland on I believe 68.. Some good looking country there..

Western Md is as pretty as any place on the east coast. It's only failing is it's attached to the rest of Maryland. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats a nice brookie pugs! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful country and great looking fish.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.