Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6194312 02/19/12
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I currently use a WB rest and I shoot a Mathews Switchback. I am considering going to the QAD HDX. How the WB is mounted allows only a 4 inch feather before the feather touches the whiskers. Wanting to know about the QAD, if it will allow a longer feather or when the launch pad is up will it be about the same??

I would like to shoot a 5 inch feather. When fletching my arrows,I have moved them closer to the nock to get the 4 inch feather to work.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That all depends on how your WB is mounted and what model WB you have. If you WB is mounted as close to the shelf as possible with out touching it, then the QAD will be about the same.

Your switchback has a 7" brace height, that should be plenty of room for a properly mounted QAD and 5" feathers.

Can you post a picture of the current set-up?

Last edited by TysonT; 02/19/12.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you will be good to go, I have a QAD PRO on my XT and had them on my ICON and SWITCHBACK, my nephew and brother both shoot feathers and they have QAD'S also,they shoot a DRENLIN and XT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was and still am a Huge fan of the WB. However I did get a chance to use the QAD and now it's all I use. It's also on a SBXT and I shoot without any struggle using any vanes I choose.

I'll say this about the WB VS QAD. There is only one thing about the WB that I dont like. It creates a zero brace height situation. Because of this I would on occasion have a flyer that was unexplained and annoying.

To be sure it's operator error with my small movement or lack of discipline at the moment of release. With the QAD this problem is gone. Bad shots are for other reasons but they are instantly recognised and understood. With the WB those odd shots that hit 4-5" away would drive me crazy at times.

Zero Brace height will do that, heck even short brace height does it, so the zero brace height was a bigger problem then I cared to deal with.

I have this rest on two bows, both work flawless and have never failed me. I really think the additional feature that seals the deal with this rest is that you can let down as often as you like and the arrow stays captured and secure. This makes it as secure as the WB but lets go of the arrow upon release. Not many if any other rests, will secure the arrow and allow you to let down and not drop away or "un-capture" the arrow. This is the best drop away made for the spot and stalk hunter that will draw and let down frequently. You can take your eyes off the equipment and watch the game and where you place your feet. This feature was the beauty of the WB before the QAD came on the scene.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Great information and exactly what I was looking for.

I am now curious how the QAD allows you to let down the draw and remains set, but drops when shot. Is it the arrow moving quickly over the containment shelf or something else?

What ever it is I like it!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Inertia

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It does this with flawless perfection, and is the best feature of the QAD drop away. I do so much spot and stalk on plains game and need to draw and let down countless times as game moves among themselves in herds while grazing. The WB was perfect for this. The QAD is equally as good, without the zero brace height issue

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am now a QAD HDX owner...now the fun begins

Last edited by nclonghunter; 02/29/12.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Your gonna love it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats! QAD has been ACES for me!!

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
U won't regret it!

SLAP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=nclonghunter]I currently use a WB rest and I shoot a Mathews Switchback. I am considering going to the QAD HDX. How the WB is mounted allows only a 4 inch feather before the feather touches the whiskers. Wanting to know about the QAD, if it will allow a longer feather or when the launch pad is up will it be about the same??

I would like to shoot a 5 inch feather. When fletching my arrows,I have moved them closer to the nock to get the 4 inch feather to work. [/quote

The QAD may or may not let you shoot a 5" feather. I have used QAD's for 5 years or more. I no longer use them and if I had to choose between a Whisker and QAD for a HUNTING rig I would choose the Whisker. QAD rest has cost me a few deer , one of them a good buck. If you get the QAD set up right it will work good for probably hundreds of shots then the gremlins will come in and start giving you fits. The most common problem is they dont always drop and that will kill the accuracy of that shot , hope it wasn't heading towards a deer cuz your in trouble. Then they get where they don't want to lock in the upright position and when that happens your arrow has lost it's containment. They usually start making a clicking sound upon release after awhile too. They are nice while they work right though and you can send them back and get them fixed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slaptrigger
U won't regret it!

oh he very well might.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why would anyone need to shoot a 5" feather is more the question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are my eyes deceiving me or did Fuse start puting their logo on a QAD?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
jeeper, thanks for the input. I hope I never have any problems with the QAD, but certainly know things happen. EVERYTHING I have heard/read about customer service is great. That means something. I also researched a lot of web info and the QAD was over the top with satisfied users. I just love shooting feathers and I feel the QAD will be less damaging in the long run. Each to their own, right. I did not say anything bad about the WB and would recommend it to anyone wanting to try it. I still have mine and will keep it close. I will tell you I do like the tuning ability of the QAD, with all the different adjustments. There may be one that's better than the QAD or WB, if you ask the right person ????

Dedegeorge, why would you not shoot 5 inch feathers is a better question?

Last edited by nclonghunter; 03/08/12.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No need for a 5" feathered arrow from my set up that's why

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had a couple older QAD LD Pro's on two of my bows since like 2006 or 2007. Must have thousands of arrows shot through them now, with no issues. Good thing since they were something close to $80 a pop even back then. They do make a bit of noise when they let down however I do like a good fall away rest for not affecting arrow flight.

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have shot the QAD rest for the last several years. You dont need to look no further. They are the best IMHO. I would go with the QAD and the 1 inch Blazer veins, screw on some Slick Tricks and go kill stuff.

Toby Joe

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
Have shot the QAD rest for the last several years. You dont need to look no further. They are the best IMHO. I would go with the QAD and the 1 inch Blazer veins, screw on some Slick Tricks and go kill stuff.

Toby Joe

2 inch blazers for me...other than that, a big +1. The longer vanes seem to be a thing of the past. I love my blazers, QAD, and slick tricks.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 61 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,496
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.