Print Thread
Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My neice has expressed interest in shooting a bow. She either wants a long bow or a recurve. She is interested in target shooting, instinctively.

Knowing next to nothing about stick and string.

I would like some suggestions for a beginner bow. I'm thinking about 20# pull at most. Is there anything that is not a toy but not professional grade?

If she looses interest I don't want to get stuck with a $200 bow.
I'd like to keep it around $50, is that possible?
I'm all ears.

Last edited by blammer; 11/27/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sign her up for a youth archery class. It is the hands down opportunity to see if she really is interested and she'll learn the basics correctly the first time. And they usually provide the bows - typically the Mathews Genesis, which has an indeterminate draw length so it fits everyone and a 10#-20# draw weight. The instructor will also usually have at least one for lefties too. If she does like it, then you can start shopping for a bow and she has a good grasp of basic archery techniques.

I put both my boys through an 8 week beginner's archery course when they were young, cost me about $100 each and money well spent.
That was several years ago and now both love archery. We shoot a lot after deer season and before turkey and all through the summer at an indoor range if we're not out in the ocean fishing.

They are both on bow #2 now, the oldest with a newer Diamond Razor Edge and the youngest with a new Mission Riot. Both have adjustable draw length and obviously adjust for draw weight also.

Just my .02cents and Your Mileage May Vary.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or, if you just want to go ahead and buy her a bow, here's a Mathews Genesis for sale on AT for $110

Mathews Genesis Bow on Archery Talk

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I know you said re-curve, but this is a GREAT starter bow:
http://www.fusearchery.com/youth/

The accessories are junk, but the bow is solid.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I see you are from the Ashville area. Bring your neice to the NC Traditional Championships this spring. There will be several of us Bow Builders there with our "Stuff". Kids gear is starting to be a real seller. Often you can find a kid a little larger than yours that wants to sell or trade up in weight.

Even if you don't find what you're looking for I guarantee a great time.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yea, I'd go for a compound but her mom is convinced that compound bows are MORE dangerous.

Last edited by blammer; 12/01/12.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Let her know that at one time the Yew Longbow was the machine gun of the day with more long range power and accuracy than any other weapon in the world.

No better not say anything.

Be sure to bring her to the NC Traditional Championships this spring, we'll get her fixed up.

7 Lakes Longbows

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
327 members (3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 41 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 660 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,529
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.