Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I went with a Samrick Longbow because it was cheap , around 225.00 bucks and now I'm hooked on Traditional Archery and will do most of my hunting with a Longbow . I decide i want a better Bow than the Samick and order a Martin 62" Savannah Longbow from 3Rivers Archery . This bow has the best rating of any longbow under 600.00. I can't wait for it to arrive next week so i can get it ready to hunt with . I will use the Samick as a backup. Will post photos once i get it setup for hunting. I love Bow Hunting and like it much better since I'm doing it the hard way.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2390X

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think you will like that.By spring you should check and find your local traditional 3D shoots.They are a great place to shoot buy and trade different bows.It's part of the attraction of trad archery for me.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm almost positive i will like this bow. One reason, it will be easier to shoot from my elevated stands since it is 62 inches and not 69 inches like my Samick

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've shot them and think they are just as nice as a lot of custom bows priced higher.The 62" with RD limbs won't be nearly as "thumpy"(some folks hate the word handshock) either.

Now,just get really anal about tuning it and the arrows to match.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm hoping it will shoot the Heritage 150 carbons I'm shooting in my Samick Longbow

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Long bows is neat!
I've got 2, and want 1 with a medium wrist grip.

Finish aside, the Samicks are very nice shooting bows.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes i love the Samick, but just wanted to upgrade to the Martin since it has the best rating of Longbows in it price range and better rating than most custom bows costing twice as much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enjoy my Toelke a great deal but it was a few bucks more. Think with this level of quality it is more the indian than the arrow, so to speak. Sure you will enjoy the new one. I was not quite ready to use mine this fall but have hopes for a midwest whitetail hunt next fall.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Let me know how the Martin is.

I need something with a little more of a locator type grip.

I'm also a finger pinch wimp now. 68" feels much better to me at 29.5" draw.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This one is 62 inches and may be to short for you and may be for me since i have been shooting a 69 inch. Will have to wait until i try it to see.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Switch to three under and finger pinch won't be an issue.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Most stick bows are tillered for one finger above and two under

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tillering for split or three under is mostly a bunch of hooey anyway, imo. String walkers have no problem purposely shooting bows way out of tiller. That's the nature of string walking.

ILF bows can be tiller adjusted, but most guys say that they can't tell any real difference...including world class shooters.

Enjoy the Martin. It'll be a heap better in the stand or blind.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Doesn't make any difference.All you will have to do is to raise your knock point a little to tune it properly.Trust me I've tried it on at least two dozen bows.

A good bow will have a pos tiller of no more than 3/8 inch.I would rather shoot one with 1/8 to 1/4 but all can be shot 3 under as long as the bowyer didn't goof up and put an extreme ammount of pos tiller,in which case you will have tuning issues anyway.

I shot split finger for 25 years and shot fairly well ,even winning a few tournaments.A three time IBO world champion convinced me to switch to 3 under.It was awkard as %#** for a while but when I got used to it,my scores jumped 30 points.Now,there is no way I would or could go back.

It will put your eye a lot closer to your arrow and enable you to judge trajectory a lot better.You aren't aiming down the shaft but it still helps a lot.It would be like the difference in shooting a pistol from the hip or extended at arms length just below your aiming line of sight.You can do either with practice but you will hit closer the first time with just below line of sight because you have narrowed the variable angle to fewer degrees.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot my Martin Recurve three under back in the 80's . I tried the longbow three under but shot much better one above. I'm shooting with the tab instead of the glove. 3 River's shipped the Martin today

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It will put your eye a lot closer to your arrow and enable you to judge trajectory a lot better.You aren't aiming down the shaft but it still helps a lot.It would be like the difference in shooting a pistol from the hip or extended at arms length just below your aiming line of sight.You can do either with practice but you will hit closer the first time with just below line of sight because you have narrowed the variable angle to fewer degrees.

Only if you're using the arrow as part of the overall sight picture.

A lot of us want to keep the arrow out of the sight picture completely. I believe that it's the best method for hunting. Punching paper with a light weight bow is a different animal completely. That's why alot of tourney champs are gappers.

Grip it and rip it, just like the 'Freds'...Bear, Asbell, Eichler.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bea175
This one is 62 inches and may be to short for you and may be for me since i have been shooting a 69 inch. Will have to wait until i try it to see.

Sounds like a real nice bow Bea, stay after it man, I was able to score a WT doe this morning at 9 yards with my new longbow. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Great, if i ever get back to a place, where I can shoot, my Great Northern long bow again, that will be the bow for me! love the longbows, but I need to shoot alot to be able to hit with them!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by saddlering
Great, if i ever get back to a place, where I can shoot, my Great Northern long bow again, that will be the bow for me! love the longbows, but I need to shoot alot to be able to hit with them!

SR, I got my new longbow Tuesday, and three arrows from 'fire member 30338 on Wednesday, shot it a bit that evening, and several hours on Thursday, robbed some 125 gr G-5 Magnum broadheads from my Mathews quiver and they hit dead on with the field points.

Left for camp Thursday night, and this morning while standing between some rocks and small cedars in a bench I was able to take a WT doe broadside at 9 yards, I was below her as she walked just under the ridge-top on the flat above.

I hit her a bit high clipping the spine and top of her lungs, she sat down, bawled out loud and died.

Cool as hell man, it will come to ya quick, this is gonna be a helluva sporting challenge to hunt game animals. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gunner Post some Photos of your new longbow. I'm going to stick with the Longbow for my Bow Hunting, if for no other reason than not carry the heavy ass Compound around the woods. Congratulation on your first Longbow kill. Let use the longbows on the Campfire Bow Hunt this coming year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 257 mag, 163bc, 160user, 10gaugemag, 36 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,438
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.