Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is the heaviest point you have shot from a compound using carbon arrows?

I recently added a 50gr brass insert and 125gr point. My arrows are shooting well.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never ventured over the 100gr mark

Have you chronoed this set up?

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Never have chronoed any of my bows. Just not something I have worried about.

I like the design of the Montec G5 cut on contact and also the Muzzy Phantom (100gr)cut on contact broadheads.

Just tried a 145gr field point with the 50gr brass insert. The arrow was a little slower, the bow was super quiet and the arrow penetrated deep in a block target.

I used to shoot a Hoyt compound at 62 pounds, 31" 2216 XX75 arrows with 5 inch feathers and 145gr razorback broadheads. Great shooting combination. Got a new bow, new carbons, small vanes and lighter points. Just doesn't seem right now. Going to a heavier point again and bigger feathers and it already feels better. No science here, just what feels right.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would venture to say you increased the kinectic energy of your arrow by 35-40% with that combo. That will be one hard hitting set-up.

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No need for all that weight. You are lossing speed that at this point is more benefical to you. 100gr-125gr will give you complete pass throught. But if thats what you want to shoot have at it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The heavy points will as you say quiet the bow and increase energy transfer. If you go much heavier I would start to worry the the arrow spine may be to weak for that much front weight. Hate to see a carbon shaft sticking out of your forearm after it gave way. Probably woldnt happen just something to consider.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
142 grains via a 125 grain Wensel Woodsman and 17 grain insert adapter. All screwed into a Easton ACC 3-60.

Only killed a couple deer with it before going with a 100 grain Slik Trick.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't worry about it if its shooting well. I'm shooting 245gr. Point weight out of a trad bow!

Last edited by Biathlonman; 01/25/12.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like heavier broad heads with a little extra weight,Even with a powerful new bow. Penetration is so much better with extra arrow weight.Most shots are close with a bow anyways!!!!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The guys that are old enough to remember and shoot heavier heads realize there is magic with weight vs penetration.

Its not always needed though.

I won't shoot a head under 125 grains. I shoot heads up to 200(heavy snuffers). All on carbon shafts at times.

No issues if its all set up and balanced right.

Way too much out there about light and fast and I'm still not convinced in a pinch that light and fast is the ticket. Regardless of what numbers say, real life when we shot 85 and 100 grain heads a few times, you just simply did not get the penetration like a heavier setup.

of course some folks just have to have the ability to shoot 50-60 yards and I totally understand that, I wont' due to animal movement, but thats a personal thing.

Of course we could hit 50-60 yard targets grapefruit sized all day long in the 70s/80s just ifne with 180 fps AL shafts and 145 grain heads... you just couldn't miss the range guess by more than a yard or two....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Its all about a balance. But loading up an arrow with weight really isn't needed to get a complete pass thru with todays bows and broadheads. I am not into speed but I will say that 100gr RazorTrick will give complete pass thru on deer and elk with my bow/arrow/broadhead set-up I'll keep the little extra speed and pass on adding un-needed weight to my arrows. Even with my Long bow and A/C/C's with 100gr RazorTricks gets me pass thru's.

Now if I was planning on hunting dangerous game like Cape Buffalo then yeah I would add weight for better penatration.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Arrow placement is what matters. The guys looking for penetration are the ones that KNOW that a perfect broadside lung shot doesn't always happen. Quartering to or away happens, animals take a step, hit an unseen branch etc.

Plenty of things can effect that perfect broadside shot and the guy shooting some weight in his shaft/broadhead combo has an advantage in the penetration department.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At one point in time I was shooting full sized Snuffers @210 grains out of an 80# draw XI bow. I do not recall the aluminum shaft size, other than small telephone poles. The set up shot pretty well for the time. I never had an issue blowing right through deer from any angle with that setup.

Mostly stuck to 125-150 grain heads off of the compound in the past. Especially Muzzy's and Thunderheads.

Current setup is either tube weighted carbons with 100 grain Hell razors or 100 grain Muzzy's, or 2413's with 125 grain Woodsmans.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Arrow placement is what matters. The guys looking for penetration are the ones that KNOW that a perfect broadside lung shot doesn't always happen. Quartering to or away happens, animals take a step, hit an unseen branch etc.

Plenty of things can effect that perfect broadside shot and the guy shooting some weight in his shaft/broadhead combo has an advantage in the penetration department.

Shot placement always matters weather it be bow, gun, spear, knife, you name it. I have shot 1 deer with a perfect broadside out of well over 100. If my arrow will go thru an Elk from behind the last rib out just front of the shoulder it will blow thru any deer. So your arguement really doesn't hold much water.

The real problem is your shooting alert deer in very questionable shot windows if what you wrote is to be true. So it isn't an equipment or weight problem its your shot selection that is the problem.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I will also add that Pass Thru's are overrated. Once the broadhead is out of the animal it no long does any cutting or damage. If my shot is off and the arrow stays in the animal it is going to continue to cut and do damage. Which just might shorten the distance the animal will go and the greater chance of recovery. Not so once the arrow is out of the animal.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don't think anyone was arguing!!I think everyone one has made good points!!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a 100gr. wasp stop dead in a nice buck,with a shoulder shot.I found the deer 200yards,it still bled out.But, I wish, I had my full metal jacket 300 arrows back them.It would have clobbered him at 20yard. Typically a good rib shot on deer a 100gr tip will blow right threw deer!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I simply won't trust the light setups due to things like jason saw. I"ve seen them too.

The thing that works 100% of the time or as close to it as you can get, will be cut on contact and heavy.

The rest will fail at some point generally and I prefer to be as capable as I can when the time arrives.

For those that say a fast light head will always blow through.... lets just say my wifes bow was a bit over 200 fps, cut on contact light head. One one hog it went in, but the head never came out the other side. I"ve shot same setup but heavier heads and have never seen my bheads fail to exit.

As to the comments of exit isn't always desired, thats runing the same route of making sure the bullet blows up inside the deer and doesn't waste engeryg.... sooner or later that will bite you back. Some are oconnors, some are keiths. I know which camp has given me the best results.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Shot placement always matters weather it be bow, gun, spear, knife, you name it. I have shot 1 deer with a perfect broadside out of well over 100. If my arrow will go thru an Elk from behind the last rib out just front of the shoulder it will blow thru any deer. So your arguement really doesn't hold much water.

The real problem is your shooting alert deer in very questionable shot windows if what you wrote is to be true. So it isn't an equipment or weight problem its your shot selection that is the problem.

WTF are you talking about? Did I mention my shooting or wounding of animals? I'm talking about the reason many people shoot heavy arrows/broadheads.

You've killed 100 animals with the bow and only one with a perfect broadside hit? Your going to critique my shooting?

Tell us more why one hole is better than two...............

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.