-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Emailed Barnes, but thought I'd see if anybody else has experimented with this combo.

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm loading it for deer for my daughter in a Rem Model 7 243, just started though. So far I've got the gun to shoot 1.2" groups at 100 yds(3 shots) using IMR 4064. Velocities are around 2750-2800 fps IIRC. I'm trying to work up a load that will be recoil friendly as this will be her first hunting rifle experience and I don't want her to become recoil shy in the beginning.

Last week the local Fish & Game asked a few people to be involved in a deer management experiment and needed to shoot 10 mature does to test for CWD, fetal development, etc... I got to take part in the event and thought this would be a good opportunity to see how the little T-TSX worked. I realize it's just a sample of one but the doe I shot went down with authority. I mean dropped like a rock.

F&G asked us to try not to hit the heart cause they wanted us to draw blood from the heart shortly after the kill. I shot to break both shoulders(a little higher and forward than I would normally do) and she went down fast. Bullet went straight through(to be expected) and ent/exit holes were small(very little blood).
The shot was about 80 yds. With a more ideal shot(low shoulder or behind the shoulder) I'm sure there would be more blood if tracking were needed. I was impressed to say the least and wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet on a mature buck if given the opportunity.

This is my first experience with the 243. I've read for years about the controversy of how effective/ineffective the little 6mm is on deer, but with the right bullet(Barnes or a Nosler Partition) I'm thinking this little round has some serious merit as a deer rifle.

I'm looking forward to trying the 80gr T-TSX on a mature buck this Fall.

Leftybolt

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Lefty. I emailed Barnes and was told to use their load data for the 85gr TSX. I'm going to try Ramshot Hunter and hope it works since I already use it in another rifle.

I plan on mainly using it as a varmint round, but will use it on deer/hogs if the opportunity presents itself.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lefty,

Quick question. What OAL are you running with your Model Seven?

Thanks,

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bobby Tomek in Texas has done some extensive test w/photos of TSX vs TTSX vs Accubonds.......long story, I think he found the TTSX did not perform as well (lacked expansion at lowered speeds in the bullets he tested in 7mm), and they cost more.

The 85 TSX works so well and based on my 85 X bullet experience, I'd take the 85 over the 80. It works. Looked at the Barnes booth and the 'story' behind the features of the bullet is a good one, but I personally have selected the 85 TSX and the 95 Ballistic Tips as my first two 'go to' bullets of choice in 6mm for anything in 6BR thru 243s/6mm.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/605102309?r=679105409#679105409

Bobby, posts an updated thread, had better luck w/a 2nd batch of 120 TTSX in a 7mm Bullberry TC carbine, apparently not thrilled w/earlier test with 140s and the first batch of 120s.

I'd want to test any mono bullet if I could not find much info on actual results by someone reputable, before shooting in the field. Odds are the 80s will work well, but I am skeptical if they offer much improvement if any over the 85s, and I believe they are pricier.

Lefty, my conclusion has been a work in process, as a pendulum, I used a 243 100 partition for a spike deer long ago, nothing special, short run, but no signs of hit at impact and small exit. BUT, dead deer. Since used many other bullets, in 6mm BR and 243s. 85 BTHP I have seen kill like lightening, but so have I done a DRT on a nice hog with an 85 X. BULLET choice + shot placement = clean quick kills IMHO on deer sized and even larger game in 6mm bores.

That said, a 6mm bore is not for everyone. For those willing to choose shots if need be depending what bullet is in the chamber, and pass up questionable shots, it's a good choice, but for anyone ready to blast at any angle/range and with any bullet loaded up, that is irresponsible, but it can apply to others.

Maybe a 6mm has less 'margin of error' with marginal shot placement, but who can tell me what 'margin of error' is acceptable with ANY cartridge w/confidence?

It's great for kids/youth as it allows more practice and better shot placement/shootability IMHO, and a good choice for seasoned marksman/hunters who KNOW what they are doing.

Average Joe's, well a 120-140 grain bullet in 25 cal to 28 cal will give more latitude if poor shooting takes place. BUT, a poor shot will wound the same.

I'd bet 98-99% of failures w/6mms are due to either poor bullet choice and/or a combo of that plus poor shot placement.

Shooters who properly place a good 6mm slug thru vitals and see the outcome a few times, gain plenty confidence in this round that likely will be debated for a long time. I still make sure I have a good target/aim before I let one fly, but I don't shy away or worry when afield with one in hand.

After seeing a 105 amax from a lowly 6mm BR at 2840 MV, drop a 400 yd deer, double lunged - dropped w/in 25 yds, exiting golf ball size JUST as my THIRTY yd deer hit by a 243/100 partition did (ran 30 yds)...also broadside double lunged.

No substitute for shooting well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the info 65BR. I'm sure I'll get plenty of chances next deer season to try them out. This rifle was intended to be a calling rifle. I just figured it made sense to load it with a bullet that could take deer, hogs, etc. as well.

I grew up hunting with my Dad's 222 so I'm familiar with picking my shots. And speaking of 100gr Partitions on the .243, I shot this deer almost 2 years ago with that exact combo out of a different rifle.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bobby Tomek is good people...

If he says it, it happened...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.