Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
If you can't find Lee dies which brand do you settle for as a close second?

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
If you can't find Lee dies which brand do you settle for as a close second?

Nothing wrong with RCBS--they make accurate ammo.

For me, Lee dies tend to be towards the bottom of the list--don't get me wrong, Lee's are good dies......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the Redding 3 pc sets....Forster also.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Redding dies, even if Lee were available.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
After my experience with RCBS last eek, I'll be going with them for most of my needs.
I bought an APS strip loader from SW about three months ago. then a couple weeks ago I was gonna use it for loading up some .223's...Well upon opening it I notice that someone broke the small primer plug & while fiddleing with it I also notice that when I screw the large primer plug in, it just keeps turning, like the threads on the primer rod are stripped...hmmm
Well I call RCBS & tell them about the problem & how I need a small primer plug & how I think Sportsmans warehouse took back a return that had broken parts...Well a couple days ago I got three new parts from them...Primer pd assy., & large & small primer plugs...free...no charge.
It's that type of customer service that makes me a return customer...Same as with Leupold scopes.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
RCBS does have customer service that is second to none. They are alot like Dillon.

The only dies I refuse to bring home are Hornady dies. I literally threw a set of them in the trash.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
After my experience with RCBS last eek, I'll be going with them for most of my needs.
I bought an APS strip loader from SW about three months ago. then a couple weeks ago I was gonna use it for loading up some .223's...Well upon opening it I notice that someone broke the small primer plug & while fiddleing with it I also notice that when I screw the large primer plug in, it just keeps turning, like the threads on the primer rod are stripped...hmmm
Well I call RCBS & tell them about the problem & how I need a small primer plug & how I think Sportsmans warehouse took back a return that had broken parts...Well a couple days ago I got three new parts from them...Primer pd assy., & large & small primer plugs...free...no charge.
It's that type of customer service that makes me a return customer...Same as with Leupold scopes.

RCBS has the best warranty on the planet of any manufacturer of any kind of item.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A close second to Lee? There is none. Thay're at the bottom as far as I'm concerned. Most of my dies are Forster's with some RCBS and Redding.
The Forster competition seater is the best of the bunch IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have more RCBS dies that any other brand. I like their dies and other products also. As previously stated, RCBS customer service is excellent.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redding is always my first choice, RCBS and Forster are good, too. Lee's are on the list, just above Hornady, but it's a long list.

Think direction first, then velocity.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
RCBS is my first then Hornady, most of my RCBS are the older green box that I have been using for 30 yrs or so.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use RCBS and Redding. I like the adjustment knobs on the Redding significantly more than the screws on the RCBS. However, like others have stated, I too had a problem with a RCBS die and they fixed it without question or hassle.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rest assured, you can't go wrong with any of them. Strong personal opinions aside, there is no material advantage to any die brand other than that the Redding and Forster BR types, and they aren't ahead by very much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, that depends. If you are a fan of Lee dies because of the Lee Collet Neck Sizer and they are not available in your caliber, then the next best choice of dies WITHOUT THE EXPANDER BUTTON are the Redding bushing dies. Although others are also making bushing dies now.

If you like the regular Lee Full Length dies with the expander then almost any die manufacturer would be better as posted above. There are lots of better seaters from other manufacturers, especially the competition seaters.

If dollars are your main concern then find your best deal among RCBS, Redding or Forster and go for it. They will cost more than the Lees but they will be better dies.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
WOW! Bunch o Lee haters! In any case...

Thanks for the replies!

But could someone please explain from a machinist and engineering perspective with technical facts as to why you don't like Lee?

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I always use the green stuff....

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Just read the Barsness article on seating bullets straightly and he gives high praise to the Lee dies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
Just read the Barsness article on seating bullets straightly and he gives high praise to the Lee dies.

I learned a long time ago to take a gun writer with a grain of salt.

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Die technology is not complicated and all of the above mentioned die manufactures put out similar products despite the dissimilar price points.

The unique exception is the Lee collet die and that is a product well worth considering if one is resizing just the case neck.

In many instances, it ain't the tool, it is the tool user that determines if the tool works satisfactorily or not.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Just read the Barsness article on seating bullets straightly and he gives high praise to the Lee dies."

"There are lots of better seaters from other manufacturers (than Lee), especially the competition seaters."

Well, I agree there are two better seaters - Foster and Redding - but from what I know of the very high priced RCBS "competition" seaters, they are no better for concintricity than common seaters.

As Carbon says, user skill has a lot more to do with quality ammo than the brand of tools. A skilled hand loader can make good stuff on any brand. An unskilled reloader can't....

No offense intended, but those who "only use brand "X" really no experience base to expond on the merits of much. I've used, and measured, ammo from all dies, and know there is no average "quality" difference between brands. Lee's dies are as good as any of our common brands/models.

Last edited by boomtube; 07/25/09.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 36 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,052
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.