Print Thread
Hop To
C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have an 8 twist .22-250 that I had throated for the 75gr amax. I want to try the new 53 grain varmageddon. I know there is going to be a pretty decent jump to the lands. Before I get to rolling, any insite?
Should shoot fine I'm thinking.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If anything, she should have a pretty shallow throat if setup for the 75gr Amax.

For some reason EVERYONE seems to think the 75gr Amax requires a long throat.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My gun smith apparently throated it so it would be just into the lands at 2.465 (I'm at work and going completely off memory) oal. I'm not as technically adept as you or most of the members.
The 75's shoot great but I'm finding I'm not long ranging it like I planned. Want a faster bullet for up to 500 yard ground hogs. I may just leave it alone but these bullets appeal to me.
Thanks again
Rob.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I agree with Steelhead that the throat set up for a 75 AMAX isn't that long, the ogive is pretty far back on that bullet.

I have some 53 gr. VMAX's (not varmageddons) downstairs along with the 75 AMAX and did a bit of measuring, they look like they'd work fine in a 22-250 throated for the 75 AMAX and you should be able to touch the lands, you might try them.

C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Right on. Planning on loaded some up this week and trying them out this weekend.
I have a dedicated bullet seatin die for the amax so I'll leave as is and see where it puts the 53 in the neck.
Thanks again
Rob

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having a long throat isn't a death sentence necessarily for shooting shorter bullets that then need to make a long jump into the rifling- speaking in general terms.

Case in point: I throated a new Criterion barrel I put in a M1903 Springfield with a 1½º included angle reamer. Purpose was to create a leade conducive to easing long .30 cast bullets gently into the rifling- seated long and fed single shot, for target shooting. I figured I was sacrificing efficiency with regular 150gr. jacketed bullets (when seated to feed through the magazine) since they would now be making a long jump until fully engaged in the rifling. Guess what, accuracy across the board was improved. I'm not saying it's the panacea for all shooting ailments, or that it is a universal truth. I'm saying that counter-intuitive scenarios can often work regardless of commonly held beliefs.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by cath8r
Right on. Planning on loaded some up this week and trying them out this weekend.
I have a dedicated bullet seatin die for the amax so I'll leave as is and see where it puts the 53 in the neck.
Thanks again
Rob

That ain't gonna work.

If the 75's are working nicely for you, seat the 53's so the ogive is at the same distance from the lands, or above the case neck.

I just go above the case neck, and do it via the time proven calipers and eye f*ck method.

Last edited by Steelhead; 04/11/17.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by cath8r
Thanks again
Rob

That ain't gonna work.

If the 75's are working nicely for you, seat the 53's so the ogive is at the same distance from the lands, or above the case neck.

I just go above the case neck, and do it via the time proven calibers and eye f*ck method.

This. (Although I think it should be "calipers"?) Sometimes it doesn't pay to mind f*ck a problem.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny, I just came back to correct myself.

C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Doesn't the bullet seater push on the ogive? If I use the same bullet seater will it not put the ogive on the same spot?

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Load away and get back to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, most bullet seaters work on the part of the bullet that is the same size as the internal diameter of the seating stem. That's pretty much a random point between bullets as all of them have different ogive shapes.
I don't know if you've ever measured to find your hard-contact seating depth, but that's what you should do here. A 53 is way different from a 75.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ok. Thanks guys. I'll use one of my other 22-250 seating dies and start long and creep in.
I'll get back to you.
Thanks again!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I told you it wouldn't work. What I don't understand is WHY you keep asking when you have the frigging dies/cases/bullets.

Seems you could find out for yourself that it will not work.

C
cath8r Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Deleted

Last edited by cath8r; 04/12/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I told you it wouldn't work. What I don't understand is WHY you keep asking when you have the frigging dies/cases/bullets.

Is it me or does anybody else see a general increase of people asking questions all over the Campfire that they could easily answer themselves with a little deductive reasoning or experimentation. One of the reasons I like this hobby so much is the chance it gives me to solve problems and prove/disprove theories I come up with, and put old wive's tales out to pasture. Is it because we are becoming an instant gratification society, fueled by the internet, and driven by sloth?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Is it me or does anybody else see a general increase of people asking questions all over the Campfire that they could easily answer themselves with a little deductive reasoning or experimentation. One of the reasons I like this hobby so much is the chance it gives me to solve problems and prove/disprove theories I come up with, and put old wive's tales out to pasture. Is it because we are becoming an instant gratification society, fueled by the internet, and driven by sloth?

not going to get specific and flame anyone...

But that Gnoahh, is a damn good question....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's just too much h fun to watch steel head make an ass out himself

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
It's just too much h fun to watch steel head make an ass out himself

Gotcha. So in short, you're a f*cking idiot that ain't left the tit.

Thanks for playing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 63 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.