Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, okay. Here's the deal. Maybe we can have non-contentious optics threads, but it might be critical how the initial poster starts. So I propose proceeding something like this............

I have an optics question. I just bought a pre War M-70, and I'm wondering if my Leupold 2.5x8x36 will clear if mounted in low rings.

Now, I understand this is one of the all-time dumbest questions I could ask. After all, pre War M-70s are stupid, Leupold scopes are stupid, and variable scopes are stupid.

I also realize the five official screamer groups I shot, the two club agg records I set, and the world record I tied twice while shooting 1K BR with my Nighforce scope has no bearing on this discussion, is in fact, stupid; and I am arrogant and condescending for mentioning it.

I realize my 500 RWHP, highly modified 4" lifted DMax is also stupid.

I realize that my 24 years as a USAF pilot, culiminating in my job of evaluating the instructors and evaluators is stupid; as is my three tours in the Middle East during OEF and OIF.

I realize that my even mentionioning those above items means I'm arrogant, moralistic, and therefore stupid.

When all the above is considered, I acknowledge I am an idiot, barely worthy of the most miniscule consideration by the least of us on the Campfire (that would be Steelhead).

Now that I have covered most every possible contentious concept associated with me, I should safely be able to ask:

Will a Leu 2.5x8x36 clear in low rings on a Pre War M-70?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin :

Last edited by Blaine; 01/20/09.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!!! :GRIN:

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Come on guys, this proposal has merit.... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I propose Blaine be given his own forum. That way he can be the center of attention and feel important all the time. Bragging about himself instead of answering why he's commenting on scopes he's never used before will be encouraged. Only E and Sitka Deer will be allowed to post there and a requirement of every post is some reference to Roe Deer being a liar. And focusing instructions. Lots of focusing instructions.

Blaine's world. No, we'll call it The Eyebox. Pull up a chair. Get ready to tap those pencils. This week's guest speaker: E's gunsmith's uncle's daughter's best friend's dad, the Sniper. Just keep those pencils away from his scope.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Good idea JonA then there will be a place all us siting on the side lines to join in with out all the crap! I'm sure there is few that would like to join in but don't because of the same old same old. I'm out of here till this forum gets back on track good luck.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, this is kinda a tough question, Blaine. The problem is that different manufacturers have low rings of rather different heights. Then there is the height of the base to consider. I would opine that with most ring/base combinations the 2.5-8x36 will work just fine. Still, you have to consider the specific rings/bases you plan to use. There may be some combinations that will not work.

As a general guideline, the outer diameter of the objective bell on that Leupy is about 40mm or so. That means that the base + ring height (to the bottom of the scope tube) should be at least 0.32 of an inch to make sure the scope objective bell does not extend below the top of the receiver. Since the barrel will already be sloping forward a fair bit there, you should probably be fine with almost any ring/base combination this side of Burris Ultra-low rings.

ILya

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Koshkin--thanks.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What? An answer with some facts and figures and no mindless "I thinks." Phew! What a stretch! laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blaine, you've got too much time on your hands my friend.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nah, just had an onrey streak................. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blaine, before you buy the lowest mounts for you Leupold scope be sure to check the amount of clearance you will need between the eyepiece of the scope and the bolt handle. Pre-war Model 70's bolt handles have a different sweep than those on the post-war Model 70. You may find a very low mounted scope will fit over the chamber on the objective end of your scope, but bump your hand when working the bolt on the eyepiece end. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JonA
I propose Blaine be given his own forum.

We'll call it The Eyebox. Pull up a chair. Get ready to tap those pencils.

This week's guest speaker: E's gunsmith's uncle's daughter's best friend's dad, the Sniper. Just keep those pencils away from his scope.

WOW! E's gunsmith's Uncle's daughte's best friend's dad!

I would come, but I gotta get permission from my Ninja/SpecOps Triple Sargeant Commmander. . . . . . whistle

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 01/21/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks--I'll keep that in mind. I may just have to go with a more modern stock............

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tough crowd, eh? Nearly toxic....

FWIW, had to shave off the back of the weaver bases to get the ocular not to bind....rings were fine.

Defend the Constitution

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,228 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.