A few days ago while waiting to pick up my grand daughter from high school in West Covina I was enjoying looking at a snow covered mountain several miles away. I saw something glint at the edge of the hill and got out the very cheap Tasco 10X pocket binos from the console. I finally made out a helocopter. Also I decided right then to get some better compacts.

I called some sporting goods stores and found one with compacts. After comparing several I settled on some 10X32 for $129 PLUS TAX (about $13. what a shock to an Oregonian!). I then took them to Bass Pro Shop and compared them with some compacts: Steiner $349, Leupold $179, another one $229 (forgot the brand) and a couple others which were under $100. I was really hoping for some Bushnell Elites, but didn't see any.

I laid them on a rubber pad on the counter edge and looked back into a dark corner with all of them. There was no comparison for the cheaper ones; they were out of the running. After switching back and forth between the Leupolds they were out. Same with the next one up. Then the Steiners. Back and forth and finally decided they were no better than the REI. I was defineately ready to take the REIs back and purchase the better ones.

When I got back to Oregon I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and did the same thing. The only small ones were Steiners again. The clerk and I switched back and forth a few times and he says, "These Steiners are slightly brighter than the REIs." I told him he was holding the REIs and he was surprised. The field of view is also slightly larger.

I love a good value.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter