-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Natchez has these scope for sale, they told me Weaver makes then exclusively for them. I purchased the 2.5-10x 50mm with a 30mm tube, and a micro dot in the middle.

So far it's doing great on my .308 but the 'Made in Philippines' has me a little concerned. Should I have any concerns? I registered it with Weaver, so they should stand behind it.....right?

What do you think?

What's up with that vegetarian stuff? Tofu makes horrible trophys!
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It should not be of any real concern..

Some of the best made Simmons scopes the old 44 mags and Aetec scopes were made in the Phillipines. So are most of the current Nikon and Vortex scopes.

Weaver has those scopes made in the Phillipines instead of China for a good reason. They had prior experience with them when their parent company-ATK- was buying the Simmons scopes there. Weaver will back them and I am sure they will work as well as any Nikon or Vortex in the same price range..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple of the first ones, made years ago, that work great. One on a 338 Win mag and another on a 257 Weatherby.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hmm, my brother just ordered one (2.5-10x56) from natchez, but was under the impression that they came from Light Optical Works in Japan....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am using a FF II 4.5-14x42 on my 264. I was initially concerned when I saw the Made in Philippines sticker on the bottom. But it seems to be the best scope I have ever owned.

It is not mine, but I am presently working with a friend's Viper PST 6-24X50. As far as I can determine, it is also made in Philippines. And it is, without any doubt, the absolute best optical instrument I have ever looked through or used.

It seems they can build some good products.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just checked the paperwork on my two and both were made in Japan.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well, apparently something fishy is going on at Weaver. I got to check out my brothers new 2.5-10x56 classic extreme tonight and it does say made in Phillipenes right on it. Weaver must have changed who they outsource production to. This would explain the drastic drop in price for these new phillipino scopes compared to the Japanese made scopes. The scope itself seems nice enough and should serve its intended purpose (hog hunting at night in Texas). Havnt yet mounted it to his .300WM Icon, so we will have to see how it performs in actual use sometime soon.

Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one of these scopes a little over a year ago and these scopes are very clear. The price I paid then is about the same as the price they are offering for today. This scope is a heck of a lot clearer than my Leupold Vari X III 4.5X14X50. I compare it more with the clarity of a Zeiss. Vari X III Leupolds costing $300.00 more do not have the clarity of this scope. As a matter of fact, I would buy one of these again before I would buy another Vari X III Leupold. I have the #4 German reticle. I think the only difference in the price today and why they are about $20 cheaper is because they have them with the plex reticle instead the German #4.It's the best scope I own and would buy it again in a heart beat.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Alex38
Well, apparently something fishy is going on at Weaver...

I would not describe it as "fishy"..

The first run of Extremes was made in Japan, now the second run commissioned by Natchez was built elsewhere- it happens. Nikon went from Japaneses production on the Monarch line to Philippine production and nobody called it "fishy"...

IMHO, as long as Weaver clearly marks where they are made
,keeps the QC to a level folks expect for that model and then
backs them with a solid warantee and customer service, there is nothing fishy going on at all..

Last edited by jim62; 04/19/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Who would have ever imagined, we (gun nuts, conservatives, and sportsman) would be complaining because our optics do not say "Made in Japan"?????

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I put a Philippine Burris 3X9 FFII on my sons rifle when he was 12, he has abused it for 11 years and it is clear as a bell and never knocked off zero. No problem for me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Who would have ever imagined, we (gun nuts, conservatives, and sportsman) would be complaining because our optics do not say "Made in Japan"?????

Exactly..

Really, if it's not made in the USA - it's foreign no matter where it's made.
Unless a company is not honest about exactly where it IS made, I really don't care if's it's made on Mars.

To all gunmaker critics-
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Guys....are you maybebgetting the Classic Extreme and the Weaver Super Slam scopes mixed up. super slams are the current top of the line from Weaver and.mthey are made in Japan......the Classic Extreme might be from another country and were made a few years back. Anyway...just a thought . I have Nikon monarchs made in Japan and thE phillipines and both work great.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've never heard of Nikon Monarch's being made any where except Thailand (hence the name "Monarch"). The older Nikons were made in Japan, but to my understanding, the Monarchs are assembled in Thailand. RJ

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My 'former' Monarch scope (had to sell it) was made in Japan, and I just went upstairs to the gun cabinet and fished out my Nikon Monarch binos that are about 10 years old, and they have made in Japan on them.

What's up with that vegetarian stuff? Tofu makes horrible trophys!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Got a couple Monarchs.Made in the Philippines.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i have 2 superslams i purchased from natchez. they are the absolute best scopes i have ever owned. both say made in japan, and i had great experience with weavers customer service. i lost the screw in end cap and the sleeve that goes over the windage turrett, i called weavers cs and they shipped me out a new one free of charge, i thought that was pretty awesome. lenny

guns to me are like legal crack
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a new super slam and an older grand slam, both made in Japan, as was my old V9 Classic...all excellent scopes.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On the flip side to that, I have a friend who has Philippines made 44 Mags on all of his rifles and loves them.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Cag Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Classic Extreme is made in Japan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,134
Posts18,502,671
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.