Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Karnis Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
She's been hunting with me now for 3 years or so. Got the bug bad and has found out that hogs tend to be out a fair amount at night. Hence the question.

I've not thought of buying one, she just sprung it on me yesterday. I know they are expensive and some are definitely better than others. Considering I'm not going to buy a $5000 scope what decent options are available? Yes, I know you get what you pay for but need some better options than the wallet drainer listed above.

Oh, she's buying it. Not I. eek

I'll be sitting in the dark next to her......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to Eremicus, the Leupold 6x42 works in total darkness so you won't be needing an answer to your question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beer goggles and a flashlight?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
..when you rifle is wearing a Leupold 6x42, your whole world gets brighter. Birds start chirping, rainbows appear, food seems to taste better, sex starved cheerleaders appear at your tent camp and most other seemingly lost senses begin to rejuvenate....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've never used one, but you (she) might want to check out the night vision that attaches to the front of your existing scope. That way you can make everyone happy with a Leupold 6x42mm and night vision at the same time. I've read favorable reports, but I can't remember the manufacturer.

Last edited by timbo762; 10/29/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted hogs 2 times with another campfire member's Gen 3 4x night vision scope and it's FUN. Around $3,500. He let me shoot his DPMS with a suppressor. Of course, he had the Gen 3 monocular for driving and the magnetic roof mount remote control IR and all lighting completely blacked out in his pickup. Pretty sure the game wardens have the same thing....so be careful what you do.

I'd say it's fun....but not sure if it's worth all the cost.

The digital night vision is cool and lesser expensive. But I don't pretend to know too much about such things.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use these for a living. I will say that while prohibitively expensive, a clip on univeral night sight is the better piece of equipment compared to a dedicated night scope. I say that because they tend to have as good of resolution as the better scopes, can be swapped between rifles without affecting zero, and can be attached/detached when the sun falls/rises. They also keep your cheek weld the same because they use your optic.

Better than any IR optic is thermal but I don't know anyone who can afford to buy good thermals.

I don't know what kind of rifle you intend to make night capable but I would probably go with a light first and use it with a good optic. If you need more I'd add a laser and parallel zero it.

The down side to a universal night sight, light, or laser is you need a rail if this is not an AR.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a Kill Light attached to my Leupold 2x7 vari-x II. it shines a green light bright as day so you can easily see the crosshairs on a pitch dark night. Cost a little over $100 , comes with charger, scope or barrel mount, and two batteries. I love mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martineta
I use a Kill Light attached to my Leupold 2x7 vari-x II. it shines a green light bright as day so you can easily see the crosshairs on a pitch dark night. Cost a little over $100 , comes with charger, scope or barrel mount, and two batteries. I love mine.

Do the hogs react to it?

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am saving in order go here and buy the pinnacle.

http://tnvc.com/

Don't think I want a scope, want something that can removed and used off the rifle as well. It can be mounted behind a T-1.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
PVS14/Mum14 can me used with a helmet mount, hand held or rifle mounted. Get the best you can afford.

Also don't think they aren't without issues. Cloudy nights seriously limit their application (even Gen 3) without an illuminator. Any ambient light goes a long way though.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Another option may be a Trijicon Accupoint with the post and triangle that glows. The triangle shows up in very low light conditions.

A
A
Havent u considered as an alternative Rifle Scopes by ATN? http://www.atncorp.com/night-vision-search.html?query=night+vision+scopes
They have a large selection and comfortable partition all divices by tipe, by use and by price.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.