Print Thread
Hop To
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I've been beating myself up on this decision for some time. I have an Eotech that goes between my slug gun and my AR (only part of that that stinks is the Eotech takes up too much space on the receiver to allow space for my brass catcher to work properly. If your're curious, this is what I use when practicing and brass is a rare commodity: http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...6-brass-savr-brass-catcher-prod1541.aspx

The other day I for some reason found Leupold's solutions rather appealing.. Not only do I want some magnification, but a scope on the rings, allows the brass catching mount to fit in between the scope rings. However I don't understand what the extra money is necessarily buying you. Leupy makes so many darn models it is somewhat confusing. I have it between the following models, just wondered what your opinions are versus the three, and what if any clarification could be provided as to what model is better and why?

Purpose: Coyote hunting, target practice, close range varmints, general recreation (maybe 3-gun etc). I'm set on the magnification level I think, obviously different zooms are better for different things. It would be nice if I could dual purpose this if I wanted to, on my slug gun/ turkey gun/ hog gun whatever.

1. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-ar-riflescopes/mark-ar-mod-1-1-5-4x20mm/ Illuminated (this one is meant for .223 ballistics supposedly. which is great until I use it on a different gun or something.)

2. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/hog-riflescopes/vx-r-hog-1-25-4x20mm-30mm/ This one costs more, but I see no apparent reason why on their website. I'm no expert however.

3. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-1-25-4x20mm-includes-metric/ This is close to #2 in price, but again I don't see what makes the scope different substantially from #1 and #2.

What say you?

Last edited by esmith; 09/10/13.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Option 1 is a MK AR Mod 1 scope, the next two options are VX R's. The VX R's should have more better glass.

Also, option 2 has the hog plex which does add cost to the scope.

Option's 2 and 3 are 30mm scopes which isn't going to do much for you.

I'd go with option Option 1 for your purposes. Don't worry about it being set up for an AR because the turrets are also marked at the bottom for standard mil measurements. You can use them on any rifle. They're just marketed for the AR guys.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd suggest the Burris XTR 1-4X. Most 3-gunners will be running that one or a Trijicon or a Vortex.

The handiest thing about the Burris is you twist the entire ocular to change powers. With a Leupold you have to buy an expensive custom cat-tail to speed things up.

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Are all of these rated or capable of withstanding 12 ga slug gun recoil? I have an email into Leupold but haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by esmith; 09/16/13.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I went with your option 1 recently. The 1.5-4x Mark AR.

So far, so good. Very fast and easy to use at close ranges. Plenty of precision for coyote hunting and the like at longer ranges. Fits the AR-15 rifle well. I got the SPR reticle with the illuminated green dot. So far, so good.

Guy

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just mounted a VX-R 2-7 and is pretty fast on 2x and gives more options with the higher magnification.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,431
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.