-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I pretty much a novice when it comes to rifle scopes.My question is Zeiss Conquest 3-9X50mm is about $200 more than a 3-9X40mm.I assume it for gathering more light besides a larger field of veiw.Do you think 50mm bell is worth the extra $200 over the 40MM? Thank you very much.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Unless you hunt very late at night (ie: late night piggies and/or 'yotes at night) and at moderate to high power, then no.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 50mm objective will give you better resolution in addition to better light gathering. I like the 50mm for elk for those reasons.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have used Zeiss 3-9x40 and 3.5-10x44 for the past 6 years I would think the 40mm is more than needed.

Can not say enough about the brightest of Zeiss scopes.

Ted
Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm considering the same scope and had simular questions.

I think I will go with the 50mm for when I do night hunt hogs.

Bob Lee Swagger for President
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have been considering one myself, I think I need the 50mm for my low light whitetail hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well.... that extra 10mm doesn't come free; it'll require significantly higher rings.

Beyond that, even in the Oregon gloom a 3-9x40 gets me to "last legal".

So- do as you will- I bet it's a very cool scope, and it'd be fun to try one- but the plain Jane 3-9x40 Conquest is a very bright scope.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 10/26/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's about light transmission, not light gathering. Glass coatings make more difference in light transmission than the size of the lens.

You buy a Zeiss for the glass. A 40mm Zeiss will be brighter than most other scopes out there.

Just goes to show you...a real-life example that size doesn't matter.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have both. I have used the 50MM on a lot of hunts & find the additional size a non-factor. If you are putting together a ultra light weight rifle then a smaller scope is obviously the way to go. I can't say that there have been any shots I could not have made with the 40MM. Its like many of the tools we use that have very little practical difference. I have a number of Leupold 6X42s that work extremely well for low light hunting as well.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Well.... that extra 10mm doesn't come free; it'll require significantly higher rings.

Beyond that, even in the Oregon gloom a 3-9x40 gets me to "last legal".

So- do as you will- I bet it's a very cool scope, and it'd be fun to try one- but the plain Jane 3-9x40 Conquest is a very bright scope.

I've ordered one of these that should be here in a few days. I called the guys at Talley and they feel like their medium Lightweight series will work.

Not too big of a difference.

The couple of additional ounces is insignificant to the extra pounds I'm trying to lose from my body smile

I think this will be a good one.

It may wind up on my ML though.

Last edited by Dub; 10/26/10.

IC B3

Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Came in today!

I'm very pleased.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TopCat
It's about light transmission, not light gathering. Glass coatings make more difference in light transmission than the size of the lens.

You buy a Zeiss for the glass. A 40mm Zeiss will be brighter than most other scopes out there.

Just goes to show you...a real-life example that size doesn't matter.

TC

That's true, but when we're talking about the objective lens diameter of a riflescope, it's also about exit pupil. When people talk about a big objective being "light gathering," sometimes what they're really talking about is exit pupil.

For example, a 50 mm objective at 9X gives you an exit pupil of just over 5.5 mm -- which is about all the farther the pupil in old eyes will open. So, comparing that to a 40 mm objective at 9X, with an exit pupil of a little less than 4.4 mm, you have a brighter look through the 50 mm lens -- assuming lens coatings and glass quality are equal.

So, one reason for buying a scope with a larger objective lens is to be able to use higher magnification in waning light. Sometimes that's offset by the fact that you need higher rings for objective lens clearance, which might mis-align your eye behind the scope.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Steve,

You nailed it.

At 42yrs old, my eyes just aren't what they used to be. I now wear reading glasses and use a tad bit of distance correction. I err to the side of caution and go with the larger objectives to allow me a bit more magnification later in the day and often don't take my glasses on hunts with me.

I personally get tired of hear all the bullcrap from folks about 40vs50mm. I understand the equation and all that. I want the 50mm...I work hard for the funds that pay for my hunting toys and if I want to "waste" in on oversize objectives then that's my business.

I'm not trying to "maintain good lines" in regard to rifle appearance. I could care less. I like what I like. Heck, my main rifle will soon be wearing a freaking 56mm.

People are funny. There is so much discord amoung hunters on so many issues that the anti-hunters really don't have to do much potstirring. They can sit back and laugh at how we nitpick and backstab each other. It really is petty. We can be our own worst enemy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you dont mind my asking.
What 56mm are you planning on?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.