Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking to buy a rangefinder for bow and rifle hunting. Horizontal compensation seems to be a feature I think it would be useful. I would like to keep shots less than 400 yds but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be able to range to 800 or there abouts. I would like to buy a keeper so if I have to pay a little extra I won't lose too much sleep.

Thanks for suggestions

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I continue to be impressed with Leupold's latest offering...the 1000i w/TBR. Just started my second year with it. Until this one, every Leupold RF I used I considered a piece of garbage. I just returned from taking 4 guys antelope hunting. One guy had his Leica CRF 1200. Now these are the absolute worst possible conditions to get accurate ranges.....super flat, not a lot of cover, hot, sunny, blue bird days. The Leupy performed every bit as well as the Leica, and often times better. There were many times his Leica wouldn't get a reading and mine did. There was never a time when his would read and mine wouldn't. The LED in the Leupy is also adjustable and much easier to read in bright sunlight than the Leica. When they would both get a reading, they were always within a +/- 2 yards of each other.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JGRaider,

Thanks for the personal experience report.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by herschel34
Looking to buy a rangefinder for bow and rifle hunting.I would like to buy a keeper so if I have to pay a little extra I won't lose too much sleep
Swarovski LRF 8x30. I sold mine last year and realized the mistake I made, just got another new one 2 weeks ago. Expensive, but the best IMO.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I continue to be impressed with Leupold's latest offering...the 1000i w/TBR. Just started my second year with it. Until this one, every Leupold RF I used I considered a piece of garbage. I just returned from taking 4 guys antelope hunting. One guy had his Leica CRF 1200. Now these are the absolute worst possible conditions to get accurate ranges.....super flat, not a lot of cover, hot, sunny, blue bird days. The Leupy performed every bit as well as the Leica, and often times better. There were many times his Leica wouldn't get a reading and mine did. There was never a time when his would read and mine wouldn't. The LED in the Leupy is also adjustable and much easier to read in bright sunlight than the Leica. When they would both get a reading, they were always within a +/- 2 yards of each other.

My son has the Leupold, I have the Leica CRF 1000, both were working well at archery ranges. I didn't find the clutter in the Leupold worth the value of having it there. My Leica only gave you the range, which is all I want from a rangefinder. The value of the angle compensation is oversold. The angle would have to be severe to even make the slightest distance adjustment in bow hunting ranges. The Leupold did not give any more or better better readings when we compared, my vote is still with the Leica.

I do have the Swarovski Rangefinding EL binoculars and we were comparing all of them. The Swarovski did win under all circumstances, hands down. You would expect that and Swarovski did deliver. The ELs have the angle compensation built in, and again, it takes a severe angle to make much difference at short or long ranges. I did get a reading of 1900 yards with the ELs, I believe them to be the best available today...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Shrapnel,

What model Leupolds were you comparing to the Leicas?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.