Print Thread
Hop To
R
ruger1v Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I was surfing the net on another subject and came across this blog on what you have to do to own a shotgun in England. Pass this on.................

Applying for and getting a Shot Gun Certificate - SGC
� on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:12 PM �

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now compared to an FAC (Firearms Certificate) getting a shotgun license or a Shot Gun Certificate as it's officially known is a doddle.
You don't have to be in any club or belong to an organisation and you're not restricted (as much) on where you can and cannot use a shotgun.

There are a few hoops to jump through but these are pretty ordinary ones for the most part.

First of all make sure you've got a good place in your place for installing a gun cabinet.
Upstairs in your bedroom is very good. Concealed behind something is optimal.
In a loft is the ultimate, however installing it up there would be troublesome in some cases. Especially with the super-heavy ones.

There is a myth that you've got to have a gun cabinet in an windowless room.
Utterly overstated. You'd score high on the visit but it'd be overkill for a SGC.
Ground floor is ok, but you score higher on the visit if it's upstairs.
Being able to lock the door to the room also is wise.

Next thing to do is get a gun cabinet ordered. I used these boys:

http://www.guncabinetsdirect.co.uk/R...inets-s/20.htm

Now for what to get it's debatable. Something like this would be the benchmark for an FAC / SGC set-up:

http://www.guncabinetsdirect.co.uk/J...slash-6dlt.htm

With a cabinet without an inner locking compartment I'd say that would be more suited to a SGC.

The 'draw backs'.

You are not allowed anymore than a 2 shot magazine + 1 in the breech.
It's got to have a barrel of no less than 24 inches.
Can't have a detachable or non-detacheble magazine. (slightly contradictory).

You must not have a criminal record or have been sectioned under the mental health act. Addictions to drink and drugs are also pitfalls. They do dig. But nowhere near as deep imo as an FAC application.
The devil is in the details.

Getting things moving.

Once your gun cabinet has arrived get someone (I used the delivery bloke) to help you lift it inside and upto the place you want it.
Ensure you've ordered it with the fixing kit.

It'll be a set of six masonry bolts and rawplugs.
Very important for what you'll have to do next. Your DIY handy man skills need to be spot on now. You could get a handy man to do this but I did it myself as I want as few people as possible knowing I'd be having guns in my home. Especially when they know your address.
Take a mains-attached drill, fit a six inch masonry drill bit.
Take a careful note of the depth you'll be drilling to (using the masonry bolt as a reference).
The wall you want to drill into *should* be the supporting wall of the house or home. Not the dividing one as that is usually less strong and in some cases just plasterboard. If it's brick then you can do it, but I'd advise to use the supporting wall for strength.
Get the cabinet up against the wall, mark the position of all the holes you'll be putting the cabinet bolts through.
Now drill!
Insert the rawplugs.
Assuming you've got your markings right the bolts will go in and expand. Once all six are in you're cabinet will be rock-solid and there ought to be little or no movement. The policeman during his visit will rock and roll the thing so now is the time to get it right

Once you've got that done congratulate yourself with a hearty slap on the back and a brew. If nothing else you've got somewhere to store air-rifles and valubles

Ok the next step is to make a doctors appointment and get 2 passport sized pictures taken.
Before the doctors appt. you need to have completed the:

'Application for a Shot Gun Certificate'

The form number for this is 'Firearms Form 103' so google that up.
It's a generic form by all accounts.

These are downloadable from your area constabulary website OR go into the nearest police station and pick one up.

I made a p/c of mine and will go through the questions it asks.

<Skip this part if you want to jump to the next step>

Filling out the Form

Part A

Most of this is easy

Fill out your personal details

Part A Question 13.

It'll ask if you 'lived' at addresses other than what your home address is.
I won't play freeman of the land on this one but emphasis is on 'lived' so answer that accordingly.

Part A Question 14.

Have you been convicted of any offence.
This is the big question, you can't (unfortunately) pull the rehab. of offenders act on crimes spent here for those of you with colourful pasts.
The notes at the end of the application actually state 'You are not entitled to withhold information about any offence.' So it's up to you to answer it honestly.

Part A 15a

Do you suffer from any medical condition or disability including alcohol and drug related etc etc)?

Part A 15b

Have you now, or have you had Epilepsy?

Part A 15c

<I'll ad lib the next ones > Do you get depressed? Suffered from Depression? Nervous Disorder?

Q 16

Doctors details here. <This is where they'll run checks on you to make sure you ain't gonna go out and cause mayhem when depressed etc>

You sign section A. This gives them the consent to approach the GP to see if you are model citizen of the year and not Thomas Hamilton / Ryan material.
As long as you're not booze rider, nervous nigel or the dope meister you ought to be ok.

End of Part A

Part B - Details of Shotguns

This is what I call the 'promote-your-home' bit.

It asks for details on the proposed storage and location of your shotgun (s) AND if it'll be shared with another SGC holder.
This is where you need to wax lyrical/prose and get across about the area you live in, the house/rooms security, who else shares the storage facilities.

What would be optimal and almost certain to pass inspection.

Living in a zero-crime neighbourhood, max'ed out alarm-system that's wired to the nearest cop-shop.
House doorways are high security doors with multiple locks and levers.
Guns kept in Loft conversion with steel lockable door access, gun cabinet bolted in at the back AND the bottom into solid brickwork.
Gun Cabinet a very heavy 100 kilo Gun Safe variant with 8 locking pins.
Concealed inside sliding wardrobe. (this is hardcore by the way!)
No others SGC holders sharing.

What would probably rejected outright and almost certainly following inspection.

Living in a high-crime, inner city hellhole.
Zero security apart from a locked door.
No police approved gun cabinet, just a gun rack/clip and steel cable running through it into a wall.
Other SGC holders sharing.

Section C is for renewal of SGC so it's not applicable for first time applicants.

Section D - The Countersignature

An important section.

This where the doctors appointment you've just made comes in handy...
In this bit someone who the establishment considers 'their man' (or woman) vouches for you.
Now it's not always easy to get this bit completed. Especially if you are new to an area.
The countersignatory must of known you for at least 2 years.
The countersignatory must also be an MP, Justice of the Peace, established civil servant, bank officer or person of similar standing.
Cops, police employees or firearms dealers cannot act as countersignatories.

Assuming your doc. knows you for at least 2 years all should be well.

The small print in Section D is among some of the most fundimental elements of being allowed to apply and own a shot gun.

The translation (which may be interpreted varyingly) is as follows:
The countersignatory is signing Section D to declare that he/she knows of NO REASON WHY THE APPLICANT SHOULD NOT BE PERMITTED to possess a shot gun.
So compared to an FAC application where you need to show 'reason for' on the application owning a weapon on the SGC is putting the onus on the ptb to state WHY YOU SHOULD NOT be permitted to own one.

One up for gun owners, not quite an endorsement of the right to bear arms but better than a kick in the teeth.

Roll up to the docs surgery at the appointed time with Form 103 and one of the passport photographs.

Walk in and give them the paperwork.

When I waltzed in I was pretty nonchalant and breezy about it but then he knew me reasonably well. We palavered a bit about stuff in general but he didn't make me do any tests, just remarked on the price of the bloody thing!

All being well he'll sign both it and the passport pic. He needs to do the 'I certify that this is a current true likeness of.....' on it.

This done you're almost ready.

Now for Section E just sign and date the declaration.

Now go and get �50 in postal orders. This is the current fee for a Shot Gun Certificate.
Photocopy all the form 103. Send it special delivery to your local county firearms HQ. You'll need to look this up, it vary's depending on where you live.

Once sent it's the waiting game. I got two letters stating they'd received my application and were processing it. Now the letters they send are important as they'll detail the visiting officer by his name. Make a note of this.

Then all you have to do is wait for the visit.

Firearms Officer Visit...

You'll get a phonecall out of the blue and it'll be police inspector (some places send out a civilian but this is rare nowadays) who will give his/her name and when he's visiting. Ensure it tallys with the letter as this is who you'll be letting in your home.

The visit only takes about 15 - 30 minutes. Greet the inspector at the door. Try and make a good impression but don't go all groveltastic either.

She/He'll want to see the storage facilities as described in the application.
Once there they'll do what I call the shake test to make sure the gun cabinet is installed correctly.
This is where you get to see how good a job you've done on the masonry bolts

Assuming it's secure it'll pass the storage test.

Now for the psycho test, or officially 'the questions.'

These include but not limited to:

Drink / Drug problems?

How many people live in the house. This is important, if the house is left vacant for too long the cops don't like it. So its best if there's always someone living in the house.

Have you handled /used firearms before? A reasonable one, you need a brain to safely use them and action like a maverick isn't wise, especially if you are going to be new to gun ownership. Ex-forces guys are generally at an advantage here, especially as it's above and beyond shotgun weaponry. Tick in the box for them. Don't go OTT on being ex-military if you've served though. Just that you're familiar with firearms etc.

Air rifle ownership is another one you could mention to bridge the gap if you have no military credentials.

Why do you want to own a shotgun?

'Tell the truth on this one but DON'T say for defense.
The ptb back in the 60s changed the law to prevent this reason. You can say it but expect a big black mark on the file probably meaning your application is rejected.
Some areas of the UK are more liberal when it comes to applications but I'd still not say defense.

Good reasons they like include plinking on farm-land (that you've got permission on), sport-shooting (clays), practical shotgun competitions (UKPSA), collecting, vermin control.
Oh, and make sure these are real genuine reasons as they'll expand on that a bit and want to know about them.
Obviously if you're just getting started you've got reason to be sketchy on the practical side of shotgunning.
You could turn this to your advantage and directly ask the firearms officer questions about nearby shooting facilities if you're new to them. Showing an interest is a good sign.

Belonging to a gun club is another valid reason. Although it's not necessary, having gun owner friends is a big plus imo.
Let them know and if they (gun owner friends) are cool with it, name drop to the inspector. That way he can see you are part of the 'gun scene'. One thing I think they like is if you're going out shotgunning with someone who is already experienced in it. That way you're not going to be Mr inexperienced solo who might end up hurting himself out in the country.

The deal is that the questions are to establish if you are grade A michael ryan material who is just wanting to cause mayhem and strife as opposed to sensible shooter/owner of guns.
If you're talking bs then unless you are Mr compulsive liar extraordinaire they'll sniff you out pretty well imo. Be honest and look them in the eye, that way they don't start thinking you've got ulterior motives.

Assuming all goes well the inspector will shake your hand and be on his way.
All your answers he'll of noted onto his checklist form and he'll forward them to the Chief Officer of Police.
From there, depending on the collation of all the info, answers and recomendation of the inspector you'll either get a rejection or an approval.

All being well you should get a shiny new Shot Gun Certificate 2 or 3 weeks later
As soon as you get it give it a good read and sign it.

Now go out and get your gun and let the forum know about it

I'm not responsible for any who use the information above for aquiring a Shot Gun for illegal use btw

My opportunity to take the buck of my life now presented itself, I was as nervous as a small nun at a penguin shoot.

NRA Endowment Member
Life Member Ruger Collectors Assoc.
www.mazoniahuntclub.com
GB1

M
M
Unfortunately in the UK its made so difficult for us. If you thought our Shotgun licence application was tough; to obtain a Firearms licence will just give you a headache.(It gives me one every 5years when I have to renew)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.