Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
44 Mag Ruger SBH, 6.4grn Alliant Red Dot, WLP, TL-430-240 mold, straight WW air cooled, Alox tumble lubed.
Nice moderate load, no visual signs of pressure, lots easier to shoot that the normal H110 loads. Iron sights, grouped about 3 inches at 25 yards. Not great but that was without a decent rest. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than store bought stuff. Still a surprisingly potent round.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next trial is same bullet with UNIQUE.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always had good results shooting bullets cast from lee molds, and there is something to be said for casting a big pile of bullets, glopping on some tl, and loading them up once they try. I had the convential lube groove version of that mold and it was a good shooter.

I think you'll find somewhwere between 9 and 10 gr of unique will tighten up your group.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a very good bullet. I cast and load it exactly the same way, except for .44 Special. By the way, congratulations for being the very first guy I've ever seen who doesn't over-lube with LLA. Most LLA-lubed bullet photos look like chocolate-covered slugs, which is grossly excessive. They should have a very pale honey tint at most.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might back that RD load off a couple tenths and see what you get with those bullets. Upon Brian Pearce's Handloader recommendation I've burned a couple of pounds of Red Dot 6.2 grains -or so- at a time behind 255 grain cast bullets in the 45 Colt. The lighter bullet in a slightly smaller case should get a similar speed with less powder. I get around 970 fps +/- in my 45s with 6 point something.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice report.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Digger,
is the mold a 6 or 2 cavity? Did you "Leement" it with a lap to smooth it up or is it working as delivered?
I am looking at a similar mold for the 38 and those look like just the ticket for plinking with the free lead I get from a local source.

Thanks for the report.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
good shooting! Trigger time is what it's all about. The more you practice the better you'll get. Casting and loading and shooting! smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Digger,
is the mold a 6 or 2 cavity? Did you "Leement" it with a lap to smooth it up or is it working as delivered?
I am looking at a similar mold for the 38 and those look like just the ticket for plinking with the free lead I get from a local source.

Thanks for the report.

Bob It's a 2 cavity mold, and yes it has been lee-mented but those bullets were prior to the lapping. The mold worked OK as delivered.
I accidentally got some lube in one of the cavities and was producing some ugly bullets, so I lee-mented it. Open sprue plate, center a 3/8" nut over the closed cavity and pour lead into the mold cavity up to the top of the nut. Some crest toothpaste and a ratchet and socket does wonders.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
digger44,

I recently bought a Lee 6 cavity and haven't used it yet. I am not familiar with the term Lee- mented, please indulge me!!!

Also, nice report and good luck. I'm just now getting back into handgun hunting and am trying to develope plinking loads for my 460 S&W!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This is just a way to clean / polish the mold cavity.
Some folks drill a hole in the base of a cast bullet and add a screw to it to be able to spin it in the mold. I used a nut. poured lead in thru the nut into the mold cavity,,, lead up to top of nut. You can use a very fine grinding / lapping compound. Toothpaste works in a pinch. Clean and degrease the mold first. Place cast bullet with lapping compound or toothpaste back in mold cavity slow turns are plenty. you can feel it smooth up.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Digger, thats a Great Idea/method. I have three Lyman molds that have been awaiting a tune up. If you originated the idea, have an Attaboy....

I usually use an old broken/dull tap, but they were bitchy to align, this looks to be the way to go.

NRA Benefactor
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
not my idea. I saw it here somewhere on the net. It does work well though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the picture of the work on the mold. Looks like a good way to get it dropping them out with out the hammering.

I see a bullet mold in my future.

Friend has a Lee Pot.

Will report back.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.