Hop To
#1572531 07/30/07
L
Lngrnge Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I guess it depends on your perspective if they are considered game or pests, but I would like to hunt them. Any reason to get out in the woods with a gun in hand is a good one! Anybody in the Midwest have any success? Tactics/Tips? Will I find any in national forests, or should I start knocking on doors? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To farmers and landowners, they are pests. To hunters, they are another game animal that can be hunted year round, day or night, with no bag limits. Very good eating btw. In Wisconsin durring the hot summer, I feel that they will be laying in steep shaded ravines that have springs flowing out of them. At night, they will be roaming around foraging. Here we are legal to use lights at night, only at the point of kill, not for searching them. Red filters are key, as standard white will spook them quick and they're gone. Since they are nocturnal, night time is when you'll have the best chance of seeing them, obviously. Or, you can get a party together and do a drive durring the daytime through the tickest nastiest brush ya can find.

Without running bait stations, they are hard to hunt, but fun.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In NC they actually have a season for them! It sucks as it's only a short period of time....

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In SC, they are not considered game animals, even the ones that are almost 100% German or Russian stock. Of course, who wants to hunt hogs in the swamp or mountains when it is 100 degrees and humidity is 85%?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great bullet testers...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course, who wants to hunt hogs in the swamp or mountains when it is 100 degrees and humidity is 85%?

so long as i dont have to worry bout the meat, i would prefer that to -15 and 20mph wind grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blammer
In NC they actually have a season for them! It sucks as it's only a short period of time....

There's a season for the wild boars in the western part of the state but feral hogs are all year long. I hope to go February or March of '08 to get one(or two) in Johnston County.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HB, We have them right here in Craven county (Cove City/Dover area)but I havn't got hooked up with the right people yet (private land).

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
In Florida and Georgia, they are game animals if hunted on public land.
On private land, they are varmints, and are fair game year round. Down here, they are mostly out at night, and I hunt them from a stand,over bait, and using a light. Thats the most productive method if you have no dogs.
We do scare some up in the swamp during the day time. Its fast and close shooting then.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6mm250
HB, We have them right here in Craven county (Cove City/Dover area)but I havn't got hooked up with the right people yet (private land).

Mike

I knew they're around but like you said, finding permission to hunt someone's land...good luck.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have them in Idaho. A few years ago, a farmer in north Idaho turned a bunch loose on his large fenced property in hopes of starting a huntable herd. I heard that his neighbors came close to burning him out. Hogs are no respecters of fences.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I dont consider them any thing other than a pestilence on the land that make good targets.
Their numbers in Texas are so great that i predict one day they will be the cause of native wild life die off along with domestic live stock due to them spreading one of many contagious diseases they are known to carry.
Just like Norway rats they should be killed on sight.
Any state that makes these nasty feral beasts a game animal with the protection of hunting seasons and limits is only setting the stage for future trouble.
I personally kill every one of them i can get a cross hair on.

Last edited by Texas Hunter; 08/02/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texas Hunter
Any state that makes these nasty feral beasts a game animal with the protection of hunting seasons and limits is only setting the stage for future trouble.

Amen and amen. Kill them all. Young, old, sick or well, hale or crippled. Kill them all.

BCR

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Originally Posted by Texas Hunter

Amen and amen. Kill them all. Young, old, sick or well, hale or crippled. Kill them all.

BCR

+1 - Problem is the damn varmits are so smart once established it is impossible to eradicate them. The best you can hope for is to Maybe (this is a big maybe) keep them in check. We trap them, shoot them at night, run them with dogs, and shoot them out of a hellicopter (major fun by the way). You just can't hardly keep them in check.

For places that don't have them be careful for what you wish for.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Per our Sate and Federal Biologists that work with us �They are the biggest threat to indigenous wildlife that exists� ! They are to be shot on site period!!!

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had to dodge 3 feral hogs on I-95 last night outside of St. Marys , GA.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey Georgia Women don't count!! grin laugh

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Where's PETA & HSUS when you need them? Why aren't they out catching pigs? Why aren't they out giving boars vasectomies and injecting the sows with birth control stuff? Maybe they've run them, but I've never seen an ad about out bad pig hunters are, only deer hunters.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
sounds like all the Texans are in agreement! shoot on sight! If you want the meat, fine, if you don't shoot anyway!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where's PETA & HSUS when you need them?

domestic boors.....

in Arkansas, on private land, feral hogs can be taken at any time by about any method...
on public land they are only legally huntable during the big game seasons....

the early season, late summer-early fall, is a tough go where i'm from due to weather, bugs, and snakes.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,404 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.