Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably old news, but I saw this over on the Handloaders forum

http://www.huntthewest.com/updates2009/llama.htm

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looks like hunting season of 2008.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, that happened a couple years ago but it's still a classic. The best part is that in MT, your name and address is on the tag and photos of the tag were posted on the web. Everyone in the country knew the guy's name and home town.

He didn't do anything illegal as it was a feral llama and there was no closed season on it. It was just a waste of money. I wonder if he ate it. Llama is actually pretty good eating so I hope he didn't waste it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He didn't do anything illegal as it was a feral llama and there was no closed season on it

Really?

What if it had been a domestic cow/donkey or a sheep dog?The guy never should have been hunting...Period...He is guilty of very poor judgement that could have gotten a person killed...

Rock Chuck..Your an Idaho guy..Remember the pregnant palomino shot right out from under the female rider near Council claiming he thought it was an elk?

The exact same mentality or lack of and neither ever should have been given a hunting license.

No harm no foul...BS...What about next time?

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again! Same dude got one 3 or 4 years ago.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logcutter
He didn't do anything illegal as it was a feral llama and there was no closed season on it

Really?

What if it had been a domestic cow/donkey or a sheep dog?The guy never should have been hunting...Period...He is guilty of very poor judgement that could have gotten a person killed...

Rock Chuck..Your an Idaho guy..Remember the pregnant palomino shot right out from under the female rider near Council claiming he thought it was an elk?

The exact same mentality or lack of and neither ever should have been given a hunting license.

No harm no foul...BS...What about next time?

Jayco
I'm not talking about the empty space between the guy's ears. I'm just saying that he broke no laws. A cow, horse or privately owned llama is definitely illegal, but in this case, the llama wasn't. I've read that there's a small feral herd of them in MT and the fish & game had declared them to be non-native (for some strange reason). They can be shot at any time. I would be very careful to avoid the place with my pack llamas, for sure.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An expensive Montana hunting Lic (non res.) and Elk tag for a feral goat like thing! Man Montana made a bundle off that deal. It takes all kinds.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmsemel
An expensive Montana hunting Lic (non res.) and Elk tag for a feral goat like thing! Man Montana made a bundle off that deal. It takes all kinds.

Yes, and Montana residents have yet one more elk available and are able to thank yet another non-resident for funding their wildlife department. Life is good, for Montanans.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard of guys mistaking turkey vultures for wild
turkeys, but I dont know how anyone could do this.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Have a friend whose best friend killed a lama on his neighbors farm in VA where he had permission to hunt. He killed it at over 300 yards during the last 5 minutes of shooting light. Thought he killed a huge deer until he saw it. My friend said he puked his guts out because he knew the land owner had a lama but he never thought it would be where he was. He told the land owner and the land owner almost died laughing. He told him he had already made up his mind that he was going to get rid of it and thanked him for taking care of his problem.

Last edited by Wingnut53; 11/03/12.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Wingnut53
Have a friend whose best friend killed a lama on his neighbors farm in VA where he had permission to hunt. He killed it at over 300 yards during the last 5 minutes of shooting light. Thought he killed a huge deer until he saw it. My friend said he puked his guts out because he knew the land owner had a lama but he never thought it would be where he was. He told the land owner and the land owner almost died laughing. He told him he had already made up his mind that he was going to get rid of it and thanked him for taking care of his problem.

Sounds like Jerry Clower and his Uncle Versie's mule.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard of guys mistaking turkey vultures for wild
turkeys, but I dont know how anyone could do this.
A llama in silhouette could be mistaken for a small cow elk. It's head shape is similar and it holds it's head and neck almost the same. It's close enough that when hunting, my llamas wear big orange neck bands. As soon as it moves, though, the similarity ends.

I don't know if this guy had a bull or cow tag, though.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is guilty of very poor judgement that could have gotten a person killed...

You think a llama looks like a hunter? He thought it looked like an elk.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I was a kid, I remember, a story out of the local paper. A Seattle man had an antlerless deer tag and shot and filled his tag with what he thought was a nice big fat doe. The story went on to explain how the butcher had a hell of a time convincing the guy it was a llama and not a deer. Turned out the guy shot the llama out of a persons field...

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Reminds me of a story one our local game wardens would tell. In California you used to have to tag the leg of pheasants similar to the way you tag a deer, well the warden is driving through the desert and sees two guys in orange carrying guns so he pulls over to check them out, nice guys they were on their first pheasant hunt everything was legal until they showed him their pheasants, they had shot and tagged two roadrunners.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it bad if I thought of Jeff O when I read the title?

laugh laugh laugh

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ringman
He is guilty of very poor judgement that could have gotten a person killed...

You think a llama looks like a hunter? He thought it looked like an elk.

And how many of these nit-wits mistake hunters for game?If he thought a llama looked like an Elk not just once but twice,what will he shoot that looks like an Elk next time, or a Bear maybe.If a hunter is not 100% sure of what he is firing at,he should never fire period.This man is dangerous and should not be hunting.

example from Oregon:

Oregon hunter mistakes man for bear, shoots and kills him
67-year-old Gene Collier was hunting on family owned property with his 12-year-old grandson when he mistook a hiker for a bear and fired one shot from his .270-caliber hunting rifle. The bullet hit 20-year-old Christopher Ochoa of French Camp, California. Ochoa, a Marine reservist, was visiting with a friend in the Salem, Oregon area. The two had set off to hike to Silver Falls State Park and were hiking through a field on the way to the park when Ochoa was shot. Ochoa died at the scene.
Collier's wife told reporters her husband had told her he was one-hundred percent sure he was shooting at a bear. But a neighbor said, "I don't understand how you could make that kind of a mistake. You don't shoot at something moving. You have to see the animal you have to know what animal you're shooting."
According to court records Collier has several misdemeanor convictions including a 1996 citation for exceeding the bag limit for black rockfish and convictions in 1991 and 2004 for "violating wildlife regulations." Both convictions resulted in fines.
Ohh shoot.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is one of my favorites...

Off Duty State Trooper mistakes woman and dogs for Deer and shoots her.

Off-duty state trooper hunting in woods mistakes a woman, 66, for a deer and shoots her...

A Massachusetts state trooper mistook a 66-year-old woman walking her dogs for a deer and shot her in the abdomen while he was hunting, authorities said.

John Bergeron is a veteran highway patrolman who was on a waiting in the woods in Norton, Massachusetts, with a black powder rifle when he thought he saw a deer tail Saturday, according to police.

It was at 5pm - the last hour of the last day of deer hunting season. He fired a single shot where he believed the deer was, local police said.

Be sure of your target: John Bergeron apparently violated one of the first rules of hunter safety when he shot at something in the woods he thought was a deer

However, the 'deer' he saw was actually Cheryl Blair, who lives nearby and was walking her dogs through the woods.

Mr Bergeron ran to Ms Blair and began giving her aid, the Boston Globe reported.

Gunman on the loose in Washington national park after ranger shot
A family left in pieces: Body found in hunt for mother of three who vanished after Christmas party

Emergency crews arrived and rushed Ms Blair to Rhode Island Hospital in Providence.

She is currently recovering from 'non-life threatening injuries,' a police spokesman said.

Mr Bergeron had a proper hunting license and the shot was taken during legal shooting hours, authorities said.

Officials with the Massachusetts State Police said Mr Bergeron will not face disciplinary action for the shooting because it happened while he was off duty.

Local police said they believe the shooting was an accident and that he didn't violate any state hunting regulations, the Globe reported.

However, one of the first rules of hunter safety is that a hunter should always be certain of his target before shooting.

Mr Bergeron patrolz central Massachusetts and will not face an internal investigation as a result of the shooting.

Jayco

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know of three examples where porcupines have been mistaken for grizzly bear in poor light conditions.

Two of them from personal experiences, one from hearsay.

In my case it was a REALLY BIG porky- but at least I didn't shoot it.... I was after caribou. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am totally NOT surprised by this. Disappointed, yes. But not surprised. I lived in a rural area of North East PA for 4 years in the late 1980's. During deer season, the local population would double with hunters from NYC and NJ. It would curdle my stomach to sit in the local Dairy Bar and listen to the "flatlanders" talk about how many "sound shots" they had taken. Basically shooting in the direction of a noise without having any idea what was making the noise. Local farmers kept all of their live stock up in dry lots until season was over...

You can't fix stupid....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.