-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I love getting a "Holy Chit!" look outta critters.

Got a good one yesterday when I was doing some work at the shop. I went to take a leak in the bushes and could hear something walking down in the creek. After business I crept around some willows and came face to face with him as he came around a corner.

Big Holy Chit! look and crashcrashcrash a second letter.

Nice 8 point in full velvet. Town deer fat on backyard apples, will probably die of old age or from a fender.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Young Dall Ram "Holly Chit" at 1:26 min.

LOL

Last edited by cmg; 07/26/12.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grin

"WHA?"

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've had a few reversals too, like when I was within 3 ft of a black bear before having any idea that something else might be about. I think it took 2 hrs for that shot of adrenaline to burn out of my system. I'm sure I did 100 yards in something like 4 seconds flat, because it took about a minute for the contrail to disperse. It was only then that I remembered I was packing a 7 mag.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/26/12.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've had a few reversals too, like when I was within 3 ft of a black bear before having any idea that something else might be about. I think it took 2 hrs for that shot of adrenaline to burn out of my system. I'm sure I did 100 yards in something like 4 seconds flat, because it took about a minute for the contrail to disperse. It was only then that I remembered I was packing a 7 mag.

I had a similar experience but it was a skunk and I was carrying a 20gauge through pheasant country.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
J
the more they got on top they heads, the more hurt they look when surprised.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Slap a muley buck in the butt with the tip of your fishing rod as he "sneaks by" looking for you after you "disappeared" by backing up against the trunk of a large conifer and see what happens.

Pat McMannis nailed it perfectly with his "Full Bore Lineal Panic".

More than 30 years later, I still LOL when I think of it. The young buck ricocheted off a large pine, then was thrown to the ground when he tried- and failed - going over or thru a patch of willow/alder.

Last seen heading in still a third direction, about 18 inches high and 20 feet long....

20 years or so back, I sent my 7 year old son down to the creek for water - maybe 100 yards away from camp in a high mountain pass as we set up. Half way there he had an encounter... A yearling caribou doe had seen us and gotten curious. They met at the crest of a low ridge, about 15 feet apart. Both had identical "Is it going to eat me?" expressions on their faces.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was hunting sage grouse one time when I popped over a ridge and almost walked over a bedded down doe antelope. I was within 3' of her. Antelope are bug eyed all the time but hers came 6" out of her head. You had to look quick to see them, though. Antelope aren't called the fastest animal in the western hemisphere for nothing. The entire encounter didn't last 1.5 seconds and she was GONE. She didn't take time to properly stretch out her legs before going jogging.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple years ago during a windy, noisy deer hunting day, I was walking a tightly grown in trail when a whitetail doe leaped out from her bed just as I walked by.... I believe I had the holy chit look as much as she did. grin

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My Fairbanks brother was walking a Cat-road when he chanced upon a wolf sleeping at the base of a spruce, at close range. Said wolf also ricocheted off a tree in departing, he said. He didn't mention the wolf doing stretches beforehand...

I once went "sound stalking" what I thought was a moose in a dense black spruce thicket. We danced around each other for awhile before I and a VERY LARGE black bear came face to face at about 30 feet. I'm pretty sure he thought I was a moose, also.

Not to worry- I had a 250 grain load chambered up in the .338, but with no desire to shoot a bear in that hell-hole. He departed, forthwith..

I "unchambered". No round.

Brownells sent me a new magazine spring soon thereafter. I've also taken up visually checking while chambering a magazine round to empty chamber.

Last edited by las; 07/30/12.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad was a die-hard bird hunter and never would deer hunt with me until he was 71 and I FINALLY got him to go to the deer camp with me for the first time. First morning out, I put him on stand before daylight and it happened to be near some trees full of roosting turkeys. He could hear them vocalizing up in the trees but didn't know what it was. When 27 of 'em flew down and lit all around him, it about scared the chit outta him, but he was well camouflaged and hunkered down against a tree and although a couple looked at him, they weren't alarmed. He got to watch them feed and scratch around for nearly 45 minutes, and he LOVED it.

Then he saw one big hen suddenly throw up her head and she "putted" three times sharply, and the whole flock took off trotting down the hill to the northeast. In a minute or two he heard very slow, quiet movement over his shoulder to the southwest. He eased his safety off and sat very still. In a couple more minutes he caught movement out of the corner of his eye and there was a bobcat easing along right next to him, less than four feet away.

About the time it was next to his right knee, about 3 feet away, about within arm's reach, Dad felt the tiniest zephyr of a breeze on his left cheek. The bobcat froze, sniffing and turned its head towards him. When it made eye contact with him, he saw its pupils dilate fully and its eyes about pop outta its head. But it instantly dropped to its belly, froze for a few seconds and then, ultra-slow-motion, started to slink away, its chin and belly dragging the ground, its ears laid back towards him. About 10 feet in front of him. downhill, was a little rock ledge about 2 to 3 ft high. The 'cat dropped over that little ledge and opened up an extra large can of "Gone", and went hauling ass outta there. Dad said it was just a fuzzy blur stretched out just off the ground.

That day changed his view of deer hunting. He said it was one of the most fun days he'd ever spent in the woods. Said he saw things he'd never dreamed of seeing before.

Last edited by Skeezix; 07/30/12.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
About 30 yrs ago I was hitchhiking thru US40 in Colorado high country and got dropped off at night , so I walked 50 yds from the road and slept under the stars. When I woke up I sat up and about 50 antelope took off around me, some jumped right over me.
Good Morning!

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My favorite was when we took a friend squirrel hunting for the first time in the mtns of Va. He was at the base of a tree about 100 yard from me in open hardwoods, and I could see him clearly. I could also see the small bear running down the ridge right to him. As the bear got closer I could see this was going to be a little too close for comfort. As it headed right for my buddy, it put on the brakes at about 3 feet, then slowly put its nose about 6inches from his knee, that was when the two of them made eye contact. I have never seen a bear change directions so fast and it was over the ridge in a flash. I wish I had a video to share.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 1minute

I had a similar experience but it was a skunk and I was carrying a 20gauge through pheasant country.

Travis

Mine was a possum, and I had a shillelagh.

Booyah!

All I got are night time cell phone pics with crappy phone flash, but junior took two rounds of Irish before he stopped hissing.

I hate them mangy bastards...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was in a tree stand one morning, and as the sun came up, I
realized there was a large owl perched not far from me. I will
never forget how its eyes looked, kind of an angry stare.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was hunting a high ridge north of Jesmond in BC's Fraser River country one day about 20 years ago.There was a high wind and I was looking for bedded mulies.I walked around the rootball of a blow down pine and practically stepped on a good size black bear who was just coming out of the hole.He was gone at top speed but was looking back at me as he ran.He went full tilt into another pine and ended up sitting on his ass just as if he had taken a solid punch to the chops.After I quit laughing I checked his tracks,it looked like I missed stepping on his head by about a foot. Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 08/05/12.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes tho holychit looks on a critters face cost you some time and money..... Blundered into a little bull elk out in the drive way the other evening, he shot right on past the haystack , thru the bull lot and across the county road.... Only had to replace 3 posts, and splice two wires....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funniest one I was ever in happened like this. I was coming out of the woods just at good dark. Too dark to shoot light enough to see, like that dark. I saw movement ahead of me at the edge of the woods. There was a parade of deer walking down the trail skirting the big open pasture and the woods. Doe, yearling, two does, yearling like that just mopeing down the trail. Wind was in my face. I just stepped out between an old doe and her yearling. I schooched down so I was about the same height as every body else and walked along with the herd. Old mom was about eight feet in front of me and junior about the same distance behind.
We just mosied along for about half a minute. Mom looked back to check on junior, saw me and faced forward again. After about a two count she did a double take and whipped her head back around. She blew up like a Roman candle and I swear was almost doing back flips across the pasture. Junior takes a few more steps and is now standing within touching distance of my left hip. Has his head up and ears cocked watching this crazy deer going nuts out in the pasture.
He lookes at me and I look at him. I swear you could see recognition dawning on him. His eyes started to bug out and his jaw droped. Then he went nuts and followed mom.
The lead doe came trotting back to see what the shouting was about. She saw me and skidded to a stop, jumped back and also went off. Deer were going every which way there for a few heart beats. I was laughing so hard I actually went to my knees.

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (11point, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.