Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks
Over the last year or so, Mrs Shakari (aka Susan) and I have been developing a new African hunting information website at www.shakariconnection.com.

The site comprises of over 250 pages, covers about 170 species in 12 African countries and the entire content is deliberately unbiased and completely factual. Subjects are many and varied and we�ve tried to cover every single aspect of African hunting safaris.

The idea of the site is to make it as easy as possible for anyone considering an African hunting safari to gather the correct information to ensure they choose a suitable safari for their own particular needs, tastes and finances. We also hope that the site will be useful to our colleagues in the industry.

You�ll find contributions from those we consider the leaders in their fields throughout the site. These articles will be increased as time progresses and if anyone thinks we�ve missed anything, please let us know. The site will be very regularly updated, so we recommend you visit regularly to keep up to date with any possible changes and additions.

For those interested, we will, in the fullness of time be accepting ads from appropriate companies such as ethical agents, hunting companies, PHs, outfitters and outdoor equipment dealers etc. Price will not be our primary consideration with ads, quality and reputation of the companies will.

We�d like to thank those people who have helped us with their knowledge, input, support and discretion in keeping the address quiet until we were ready to go public. I won�t embarrass them by naming them publicly, but they know who they are.

So please visit www.shakariconnection.com and let us know what you think.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like a ton of great information Steve. I went to the rifle section for a sanity check, and you appear to be spot on. One thing we need to emphasize (IMHO) is that even if we are hunting the smallest African Antelope, one should be armed for the baddest resident in the neighborhood. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight grin

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat site. I look forward to sifting thru all the information.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very cool website!!

Well-organized and informative.

Are you going to add archery hunt info to it, by any chance?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Arrrghhhhhh - hadn't thought about archery at all! - Thanks for the suggestion. We'll get on it and add it ASAP - might take a few days though!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Won't let me put it as a "short-cut" on my computer.

Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Should do Bill. Try going: file/send/shortcut to desktop and if that doesn't work, you might need to check your settings. There's nothing on the site that stops you adding it as a shortcut or adding it to your favourites.

Hope that helps!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Steve,
You and your wife have done a great job putting together
a one stop all you need to know about Africa.
I saved it to desktop by clicking on file and selecting
save as and then the drop down menu to desktop and highlighting
then save.
Charlie

If Ignorance is bliss, then why aren't there more
happy people
If The gun was in the hands of the victim,there would be no
murders,robberies or rapes.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You web site is excellent but I have a couple of questions:

1. Last I knew, one was only allowed to import 20 rounds of ammunition per firearm into Burkina Faso. Has that changed to 40 per firearm?

2. I know the official hunting regulations say that no firearms or semiautomatic weapons are allowed into most African countries and yet I know they ARE imported for hunting. My information is from various sources including seeing the use thereof on hunting shows occasionally. It would be useful to know addresses/channels/names, etc. to use if one wanted to temporarily import a handgun for hunting into Zimbabwe or Namibia for instance.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Archery section would be fantastic. Information about poundage is readily available, but not so much is written about arrow weight, broadhead weight, kinetic energy.

Jason

IC B3

Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Grumelkin,

BF, is full of confusion on this. Some sources say 20, some 40 and some 50 - we're still working on trying to get definite information, but if we can't we'll probably settle for a general warning to check for up to date details with your particular outfitter.

As you say, most African countries game acts don't usually allow semi autos or autos so we've used what the game acts say for the obvious reason. Some countries such as SA will allow them under special permit if the user has a good reason such as a physical handicap......... but these permits are usually very difficult to obtain.

As for handgun hunting, it's really the job of the individual outfitter to obtain that for the client after he's made his booking and we feel it'd be unprofessional of us to stick our noses into that kind of arrangement. The idea of the site is to make it easy for individual hunters to research their hunts and choose something that suits their own particular needs, tastes and finances. It's not to sell hunts per se.

We do also offer advertising to ethical agents, PHs, outfitters and sellers of hunting goods etc, and that fits in well with the rest of the site, but it's up to the individual hunter to choose which of those companies (or another) he wants to book with.

Jason,

We're working on that now and I've asked the guy they call the Grandfather of SA Bowhunting to write a piece about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve great site, I have hit it a couple of times, good info, especialy, for us newbys!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I spent over 3 hours on that site! Steve and Mrs. Shakari have done a wonderful job for just about every question I needed. The one question that I couldn't find there, Steve personally answered for me!

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Keep checking the site guys as we're making regular updates and additions. Current project is the Connection bookshelf, where we plan to make it possible for you to buy a very wide selection of hunting related books.

The bookshelf is being built in sections as it's so large, but give us a few weeks and you'll find an immense selection there.

Last edited by shakari; 12/16/08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't bookmark the site either. I'm using Firefox & a popup appears saying "Function disabled"

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
a must and a lot of informations.

thanks a lot.

Shakari Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Badger,

If you're just right clicking the page and trying to save, it won't work. We disabled to the right click function to stop people stealing our work for the obvious reason.

Try going to file and send etc to send a shortcut to your desktop or add it to your favoutires, by clicking favourites and then add to favourites.

I don't use firefox so am not very experienced with it.

Last edited by shakari; 12/17/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.