-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
My wife and I are looking into a South Africa safari in 2012 or 2013 as we will be freed up by our last child graduating from high school this spring. We would like to extend our stay another week or so to see more of the country. What is usually done with your firearms while sightseeing? I do not really want to drag them around the country leaving them in hotel rooms while out and about. I would like the input from someone who has been there, as I would think that this would be a common problem.

GB1

J
J
Hello goodndustry,

We used Air 2000's meet and greet to get though the SAPS and had them store our guns in Johannesburg when we were through hunting (flew to Cape Town). Then they met us at the airport prior to to check-in when we were leaving. Very easily done.

Best,

jpj3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can vouch for Anne at Air2000. She's been doing a sterling job for me since a long time ago.

Depending on where you want to go to and what kind of photo safari you have in mind it can almost be fine to have your rifles along.

Do you have a broad outline of what you want to do for the photo safari?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I left my guns in the safe at the hotel I was staying at in Port Elizabeth while I toured Addo Elephant Park.

Check the Hotel you're staying at to see if they have a safe for your guns while you're there.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It's a simple fix. Go to Blaauwkrantz Safaris. Hunt and stay at their ranch. They can take you to Addo and other interesting places while your arms stay at the ranch. They have condos at Port Elizabeth you can stay at, also. We will be going on our third trip with them in June.They are great people and great hunting.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by jpj3
Hello goodndustry,

We used Air 2000's meet and greet to get though the SAPS and had them store our guns in Johannesburg when we were through hunting (flew to Cape Town). Then they met us at the airport prior to to check-in when we were leaving. Very easily done.

Best,

jpj3

IMO this is the right answer. It's comforting to have assistance through the SAPS deal at the airport. Whether you hunt before sightseeing or after, you know your rifles are secure and will be there when you return.

That way, you are free to travel anyplace you want to go. You may want to visit Victoria Falls if this is your first trip.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may find this amusing.
My uncle and I were going from Namibia to Port Elizabeth and while I was off doing something else he decided he was tired of dragging his rifle through airports.When I meet him at the check in for our flight I ask him where his rifle is and he tells me he left it with the customs guys.I think this is a pretty bad idea but we have to get on the plane so I didn't have the chance to ask if he got a recipt.Two or three days later he gets a call from SAPS and they want to know why his rifle is there,he's able to get it all ironed out but when we return to Joburg they don't know where his rifle is and only guy who knows on his day off.
It was a bit tense for a while but it all turned out ok.

Last edited by jeff270; 02/23/12.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks everybody for the great information, I didnt want to go through a situation like Jeff270. Air 2000 sounds like the way to go, especially for a rookie. I wanted a option that I could count on before we left. Just one of many questions I am sure we will have. I will look into Blaauwkrantz Safaris TexasMark, love to hear about good recomendations as nothing is booked yet. As a side note, it seems a little bit more real today as my wife got her first vaccinations today.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You actually won't need any shots to go to the Eastern Cape.My wife shot several animals on our last trip. She is after bushpig this trip. The Rudman's have become good friends. It is a family atmosphere with quality service. Yes the permit people are a big help at J'berg, worth the money to me even though it is my fifth trip to the continent. There are lots of great places to go and great people as well. Just be prepared to keep going!
Mark

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We stayed at Afton House in J'burg....They have a big ole safe and our rifles lived there while we spent a week at Kruger.....

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,193
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.