Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Judge: Military's ban on gays is unconstitutional

RIVERSIDE, Calif. � A federal judge in Southern California has declared the U.S. military's ban on openly gay service members unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips on Thursday granted a request for an injunction halting the government's "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays in the military.

Phillips says the policy doesn't help military readiness and instead has a "direct and deleterious effect" on the armed services.

The lawsuit was the biggest legal test of the law in recent years and came amid promises by President Barack Obama that he will work to repeal the policy.

Government lawyers argued Phillips lacked the authority to issue a nationwide injunction and the issue should be decided by Congress.

The injunction was sought by the Log Cabin Republicans, a 19,000-member group that includes current and former military members.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cept that the Constitution doesn't apply to military members 100%.

No such thing as double jeopardy for example....

Me

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Be interesting to hear some of the resident shysters' opinions on the ruling and how it will likely hold up on appeal (if Obama appeals it).

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The UCMJ governs the military. And since when does your sexual preference give you "special" status. Don't ask, don't tell is just fine with me. I have worked with and commanded gays in civilian and military settings, as long as it was as private and personal as my heterosexual beliefs I had no problem with it as long as they did their job.

I have also always been color blind, character and competence are what count, what you do on you own time behind closed doors as long as it is not illegal or victimizes those unable to refuse/defend is your business (pedophilia comes to mind).

Flaming gays, self proclaimend coxmen always bragging, and chest beaters on the other had I hold in contempt and I won't suffer such fools.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always held myself and my subordinates & coworkers to the standard of keeping indiscretions at least 50 miles from the flagpole.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It doesn't matter. The spineless SECDEF and JCS (except the USMC) have already accepted it and they are warning everyone that to oppose it is a career ender. Same position they took with the females. Like it or leave.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Phillips was nominated by President Bill Clinton to be a district judge for the Central District.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thats it! I'm burning some feather boa's.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the arrogance with which these liberal judges overturn the acts of the Congress, or state legislatures, or voters in referenda is really pretty amazing......what, this bitch doesn't think anybody else ever considered the arguments she's adopted as law?

that the job of the legislatures not the judge.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the Log Cabin Republicans were queers . The article don't mention it .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Says a liberal President Bill Clinton appointee.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most Americans grossly underestimate the power a president wields in his judicial appointments. We're 2 presidents beyond Clinton and the damage is still being done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still don't get it. How can anybody force men or women in the military into shared sleeping and showering areas while knowing that some of the people view the others in a sexual manner?

If that's to be allowed with homosexuals/heterosexuals, then close down all the women's barracks and force them to share facilities with the males. It's no bloody different, and it's just PLAIN STUPID.

Personal and sexual relationships have no place within any combat group, or even within any group that may be isolated for days or weeks. Recipe for disaster, obvious to anybody.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most Americans grossly underestimate the power a president wields in his judicial appointments. We're 2 presidents beyond Clinton and the damage is still being done.
And the damage being done by the present administration will out last any of our lifetimes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I disagree with looking the other way on laws of any kind. If it is a bad law, change it. If not, obey it. Sure simplifies stuff. The UCMJ states that you cannot be gay, and be in the military. It also states a bunch of other stuff that in civilian life, would be deemed unconstitutional. For instance, you must wear a hat while outside, except in specified instances. How would that be received in the civilian world? If gays can ignore parts of the UCMJ, why could I not ignore parts that I disagree with? The whole don't ask, don't tell thing is ridiculous, and a bad idea to begin with. The vast majority of military types do NOT want gays in the military. At the present time, if you are gay, and join the military, you are creating a fraudulent enlistment. They told us that was 10 years in the federal pen.

Last edited by bender; 09/10/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wonder if this judge is a queer, like the one that ruled on the gay marriage thing in Cali?

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips on Thursday granted a request for an injunction halting the government's "don't ask, don't tell" policy for gays in the military.

Phillips says the policy doesn't help military readiness and instead has a "direct and deleterious effect" on the armed services.

I don't see a thing in her bio to suggest that she has any qualification to discuss affects on military readiness. The people that are qualified all say this is a bad idea but as typical that escapes the judicary.

http://www.fjc.gov/servlet/nGetInfo?jid=2847&cid=40&ctype=dc&instate=ca

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, not in her "jurisdiction" to make a ruling and if her ruling did have jurisdiction, she cannot reverse the policy....

The UCMJ should just go the "health" route.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.