-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
"Homeland Security chairman wants plan after White House scraps border fence".....?
They say that planning is something one does between bouts of reality.It's pretty damned obvious that all we're seeing is a lot of GAS being blown around by incompetents.

Okay,....Pete King PROMISED to get on top of this,.....and it would seem that the rubber is about to hit the road. It is NOT a bad time to speak top your reps about this concern.

Some of the "Comments" in the "link" are interesting, to say the least

GTC

Link: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...an-after-white-house-scraps-border-fence

The chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee is calling on the White House to present Congress with a detailed timeline for its plan to secure the U.S.-Mexico border following its move to scrap a flawed $1 billion border fence initiative.

In the wake of the administration's announcement to discontinue the SBInet program, Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.) said the Department of Homeland Security should speed up its plan to establish a protected border.

The 4-year old program, started under President George W. Bush, has only established 53 miles worth of fencing along the border, and has been plagued by delays. Last year, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano ordered a complete assessment of the SBInet program.

�The Obama Administration must promptly present the people of this country with a comprehensive plan to secure our borders, incorporating the necessary staffing, fencing, and technology,� said King in a statement. �I expect the Administration, in its upcoming 2012 budget proposal, to put forward such a plan, including timelines and metrics.�

The ranking Democrat on the committee, Rep. Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.), also heralded the program�s ending, saying that it has been �a grave and expensive disappointment since its inception.�

�Our Committee has held 11 hearings on the project, commissioned 5 critical GAO reports, all while the program cost taxpayers nearly $1 billion for only 53 miles of coverage,� said Thompson.

�The sheer size and variations of our borders show us a one-stop solution has never been best. I applaud them for taking this critical step toward using a more tailored technologically-based approach to securing our Nation�s borders.�

Napolitano announced the discontinuation of the program on Friday. She outlined a new plan that will replace SBInet with unmanned aerial vehicles, thermal imaging cameras, and a variety of other surveillance tools.

Fran Townsend, who was a homeland security adviser for President George W. Bush, said Friday that Congress should have established an office to oversee the project when it approved it years ago.

�There's plenty of blame to go around on all sides,� Townsend said on CNN with Anderson Cooper. �First of all, this was a program that came in sort of suddenly and unexpectedly on the part of the executive branch.�

�President Bush was pushing for comprehensive immigration reform, and Congress insisted on a greater enforcement package, which included this fence. So it came at the last minute. It was put on the bill. The president signed the bill. So there was not an office set up to do the oversight.�

It wasn't until several years ago that an office was set up to oversee the project.

Townsend said she hoped some of the technology being used by the military in Afghanistan and Iraq would be employed by DHS to �supplement and to support the people on the ground.�

Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) said that the �department�s decision to use technology based on the particular security needs of each segment of the border is a far wiser approach, and I hope it will be more cost effective.�

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how much money was spent on the now abandoned wall project and who got it.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

�Our Committee has held 11 hearings on the project, commissioned 5 critical GAO reports, all while the program cost taxpayers nearly $1 billion for only 53 miles of coverage,� said Thompson.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Somebody got very rich or very richer.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still say put the BP ON THE BORDER and build a WALL. And give them the right to go ANYWHERE on the border they need to, even the "protected federal lands".

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
I still say put the BP ON THE BORDER and build a WALL. And give them the right to go ANYWHERE on the border they need to, even the "protected federal lands".

Yep and take the gloves off..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I wonder how much money was spent on the now abandoned wall project and who got it.
I thought Congress actually passed legislation requiring the construction of that fence during the GWB years. Has it been repealed??

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by T LEE

Yep and take the gloves off..
+1, but actually the powers that be don't want to discourage illegal aliens from entering. They want them flooding in because this dilutes traditional American culture. The more traditional American culture is diluted, the less they have to worry about American patriots (i.e., those who revere our nation's Founding Principles) influencing what government does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One solution to the problem is give the Border Patrol some bullets for there firearms not bean bags.......

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Billions...

And they did not want it to work.

The US Gov. does not want a secure border.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Building a foot bridge across the Rio Grande.....don't know why.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAS2
Building a foot bridge across the Rio Grande.....don't know why.
Because it's easier to bring the dope across that way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by temmi

Billions...

And they did not want it to work.

The US Gov. does not want a secure border.

Just like Yucca Mountain.

I'm better when I move.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,753
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.