-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went online to view my credit card transactions and saw that Experian had charged me a credit report to the tune of $19.95. I didn't order a credit report and when I called my bank they cancelled the card and issued me a new one that I won't get for another 7-10 days. This is about the 4th time I've had to do this and each time I am issued a new card. Have any of y'all had this problem and does your bank issue you a new card?

On top of that I have to answer 5 different questions such as,
mother's maiden name
my DOB
the last four digits of my SSN
my mailing address
my home phone number and
my work phone number.

That's six questions but I don't have a work phone number. I just thought that was carrying security a bit far.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It seems even that much isn't enough.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
It seems even that much isn't enough.

I can promise you that Experian didn't call the bank and talk to one of the people that answers the phone to make the charge. smile
If they had answered all the questions they would have lost money at $19.95.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
smile

I think the only down side to swapping out the card is the wait. They should send it next day air though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I can walk into my credit union an they'll make up a new VISA card in minutes...

Mickey did you use one of those "free" credit reports on the internet?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago I fell for one of the 'free credit report' deals. The did the same thing with me and it took several calls and a month for the bank to get it off my acct. You can get a free report each year, but you have to go direct to the credit reporting sites and jump through a bunch of hoops.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I can walk into my credit union an they'll make up a new VISA card in minutes...

Mickey did you use one of those "free" credit reports on the internet?

I've never asked for any credit report. I don't want any credit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone owes you $19.95 Mickey. Did you try calling Experian and ask them why they charged you?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tell ya what Mickey, there's other people who you know also know the answers to those security questions. With your new card change the answer to one of those questions to something obscure, something that only you know the answer to... wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They likely tagged you from some promotion, they're real sneaky like that. I once signed up for the "free" credit report and they tried the same thing, they sneak a bill onto your credit card a few months later hoping you don't notice, if they get away with it that time then they they keep doing it every few months. My wife bought something online once and they enrolled her in a "discount" club that cost $12.95 a month on the credit card, it went four months before I caught it and got it shut off, thankfully I was able to get the money refunded.

It's pure thieving fraud, that's all it is. These thieves know how to word the consent statements to where you don't realize what they're doing and they count on you not noticing the stealth charges on your credit card. Lots of folks won't notice and they get away with it, that's why they keep doing it. Since they trick you into checking a consent box it's technically not illegal, but it should be.

You've just got to be vigilent and keep a close watch on things, with all these electronic transactions nowadays it's extremely easy for some slick computer guy to run a scam. I've got my credit card through my stockbroker where I have a sizable account, so they quickly refund the charges no questions asked when something like this happens.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
They likely tagged you from some promotion, they're real sneaky like that. I once signed up for the "free" credit report and they tried the same thing, they sneak a bill onto your credit card a few months later hoping you don't notice, if they get away with it that time then they they keep doing it every few months. My wife bought something online once and they enrolled her in a "discount" club that cost $12.95 a month on the credit card, it went four months before I caught it and got it shut off, thankfully I was able to get the money refunded.

It's pure thieving fraud, that's all it is. These thieves know how to word the consent statements to where you don't realize what they're doing and they count on you not noticing the stealth charges on your credit card. Lots of folks won't notice and they get away with it, that's why they keep doing it. Since they trick you into checking a consent box it's technically not illegal, but it should be.

You've just got to be vigilent and keep a close watch on things, with all these electronic transactions nowadays it's extremely easy for some slick computer guy to run a scam. I've got my credit card through my stockbroker where I have a sizable account, so they quickly refund the charges no questions asked when something like this happens.

I can assure you that I guard against such things. I did not order a credit report. My credit union got my last credit score (800+) and that's the only place I deal with for what little credit I need.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Someone owes you $19.95 Mickey. Did you try calling Experian and ask them why they charged you?

The bank is going to get it back.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MColeman
I can assure you that I guard against such things. I did not order a credit report. My credit union got my last credit score (800+) and that's the only place I deal with for what little credit I need.

I guard against it too, yet they still get me occasionally. A couple of years ago I had someone get hold of my SSN, turn on their telephone and run up a $2500 phone bill in my name. A year earlier someone lifted my credit card number and ordered $700 of computer equipment on it. I'm pretty anal about guarding my info, yet they still get through. The only sure way to avoid it is to drop out of society all together. You do what you can then deal with the rest, nothing else to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Micky its a con Experian and several other folks that offer the free credit check. Yep the first one is free and then they start sending you one monthly or quarterly. Get a hold of your State Attorney Generals office. Its been a problem is several States.

NRA Lifetime Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MColeman
I went online to view my credit card transactions and saw that Experian had charged me a credit report to the tune of $19.95. I didn't order a credit report and when I called my bank they cancelled the card and issued me a new one that I won't get for another 7-10 days. This is about the 4th time I've had to do this and each time I am issued a new card. Have any of y'all had this problem and does your bank issue you a new card?

On top of that I have to answer 5 different questions such as,
mother's maiden name
my DOB
the last four digits of my SSN
my mailing address
my home phone number and
my work phone number.

That's six questions but I don't have a work phone number. I just thought that was carrying security a bit far.
Only had to do it once, but with only a couple questions to verify my identity they had a new card to me in 2-3 days..

And THEY called ME to ask if a new charge was authorized.. It was not - hence the close of account and new card issue..

I don't check online - I get a paper statement each month. And since I use it rarely there's very little on it that I couldn't catch as being wrong..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Micky its a con Experian and several other folks that offer the free credit check. Yep the first one is free and then they start sending you one monthly or quarterly. Get a hold of your State Attorney Generals office. Its been a problem is several States.
I have never asked for a free credit check, though. I don't want a free credit check because I don't want any credit.

I may contact the AG's office, though. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by MColeman; 04/25/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

I've switched banks over less!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.