isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Elections
GOP Candidate Wins Lousiana Senate Special Election, Shifting Majority

Published February 20, 2011

Unofficial election returns show that Republican Jonathan Perry has narrowly defeated Democrat Nathan Granger in the race to fill a vacant state Senate seat, possibly giving the GOP control of the Senate.

The Louisiana Secretary of State reported on its website Saturday night that Perry received 52 percent of the vote to 48 percent for Granger, with all 106 precincts reporting. Election officials said the results still must be certified and they can be contested until Feb. 28.

Granger told The Associated Press that he left phone and text messages with Perry offering his congratulations.

"The message I left was, 'Congratulations on a great win. Good luck to him and I wish him well."'

Granger said his staff will obviously review the results but that he didn't expect to contest them.

The secretary of state's office said turnout was 25 percent.

Saturday's election was to fill a vacant Senate seat in the Acadiana area that includes all or parts of Vermilion, Acadia, Lafayette and St. Landry parishes. The race pitted Perry, a lawyer and state representative from Kaplan, against Granger of Erath, a member of the Vermilion Parish Police Jury and owner of an oil services company.

The Senate is currently split between 19 Republicans and 19 Democrats, so the special election has been closely watched because the winner of the vacant 26th District seat will determine the majority party. If Perry's win is certified, it will be the first time the GOP has controlled the chamber since Reconstruction.

After a number of party switches, Republicans recently took control of the state House.

Democrat Nick Gautreaux, in office since 2004, resigned from the Senate seat in December to become commissioner of the Office of Motor Vehicles.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's hope for the State yet!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The GOP hasn't had control of Louisiana senate since the reconstruction era. I sense a mass exodus of some of the population after the next vote on entitlement reductions takes place.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They really, really need to stop coming to Texas.. I-10 West is closed and the Houston Slums are full.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I hear ya',man!

Hey...you need to put 2010 before "CHAMPIONS"

William Arthur Ward

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See---jwp told you guys that the SEC had dominant influence.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alabama just got a GOP majority for the first time in 150yrs as well.

SEC leads the way! Unless, of course you're a fan of South Carolina....

Never could admit to liking 'cocks. grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
My buddy David admitted to the liking about 100 times while you were overseas protecting his right to like 'em!

William Arthur Ward

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the Gamecocks bumper sticker aimed at Clemson stated, "No Tiger can lick our cocks!" That one went over really well in the Bible Belt btw!

I'm sure that applied to LSU and AUB as well.

You football queens gonna be crying the blues come this time next year cos we got us a complete team now!!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
My buddy David admitted to the liking about 100 times while you were overseas protecting his right to like 'em!

I see it as my duty to protect his right to like them. Somebody needs to!

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So much for don't axe---don't tell....errr...tail.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new Army, gotta love it! Or not....

I vote not, for the same reason to not like South Carolina sports!

Bob, do you have any idea what the GOP intends to do with this new majority in LA?

I know the new Alabama leadership is all about fixing State laws to help bring back jobs, and is all about asserting their 10th Amendment rights in regards to health care, immigration, and off shore drilling.

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Excuse me?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Excuse me?

tolt---Please ignore our friend. He's high on cheeze-whiz or some M&M product!

Go Nats!!!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I hear ya',man!

Hey...you need to put 2010 before "CHAMPIONS"

I'll change it next year, only IF needed!

Oh Ya. Congratulations to the state of Louisiana, seriously. What a burden to shake off, after all of that time. WOW!

Last edited by oulufinn; 02/20/11.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good news,.....but that %25 turnout is damned depressing.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
special election....nothing else on the ballot, very little media attention. surprised the turnout was that high.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And all this time I thought graft and corruption were the controlling influences in the La. Senate, along with most every other branch of government in this state.

Thank goodness for Jindl. At least now they can't do it in broad daylight.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
There's hope for the State yet!

Nope! Too many "do-nothings" on public dole!! The only things that will change in BR....are the faces!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The GOP hasn't had control of Louisiana senate since the reconstruction era. I sense a mass exodus of some of the population after the next vote on entitlement reductions takes place.

Wait until the budget cuts and the welfare people are going to have to find a JOB! Then when the economy hasn't turned on by 2012 Obama's done and takes 1st place offically away from Jimah Catter.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 02/20/11.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.