Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I saw an article on how American colleges are recruiting Asians in record numbers to attend our schools. They are doing so to bring in affluent full tab students to bolster the schools incomes.

It seems to me that the purpose of having AMERICAN schools is to educate our own citizenry. By replacing our own kids with higher income foreigners, are we not giving away our country's future? Are we not making education less available to our own by foreigners filling the limited openings?

I can see the value of diversity, but to what degree?

Is the real purpose of this tactic to continue to keep an educational elite solidly entrenched rather than educate our kids?

The only silver lining I can see is that maybe a larger group of young American kids will be spared the leftist propaganda that is preached by our schools today.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Schools are businesses. Businesses exist to make money and grow. When Mom & Pop can't afford to send little Suzy to school anymore, those businesses have 2 choices; lower prices or market their products off shore to expand the market. Business 101.

We have much bigger problems in this country.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a friend from India who is a computer engineer. He was educated over here, became a citizen, joined the Naval Reserve and is loving life in the US of A. He is an example of why we need to have students from Asia in our collages and we should keep the good ones! Immigration is a good thing most of the time. We are producing to many kids with helicoptering parents who expect the world delivered to them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi

Most of those start with education. We've been getting screwed in this department for years.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Those full tab students also make it possible for kids like my son to attend a school that would otherwise have been way out of reach financially.

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Chinese students living in the US learn freedom, also.

Never a bad thing.

Also, we have more colleges than positions that need a college education.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Diesel
I can see the value of diversity, ..

Please, go on.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Schools are businesses. Businesses exist to make money and grow. When Mom & Pop can't afford to send little Suzy to school anymore, those businesses have 2 choices; lower prices or market their products off shore to expand the market. Business 101.

Schools are businesses only to the Boards of Regents, upper-admins, and business colleges. Colleges of Liberal Arts thinks it's just tacky to talk about money and a well-rounded education in the same room.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Then take their tax subsidies away from them because their big business.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
College professors are way overpaid, and so are many universities over charging for the crap that they teach our kids...

heck my son is taking a science class at a local college, and he told me that the "professor" spends the first 20 minutes talking about leftist politics before starting on the subject at hand.. every darn day... funny, he is a grad of UCal Berkeley... who'd a thunk it?

The local Southern Oregon University in Ashland, has X amount of budget for 'freshman' recruitment each year... 60% of the entire budget is spent in Saudi Arabia... they want that foreign big bucks, and cater to Islam all over the place...

do I have a problem with it? Yeah, big time...

if private college want to do it, well I guess there is not much one can say about it... but then once you look at it being a state and federally supported school... yeah I have a major problem with it.. the same way they fall all over themselves giving free rides to students who are always social disasters.. ( read that as from minority welfare rat families..) and then how many of these students flunk out of colleges over and over.. yet taking slots for students who are not minorities but would do well...

take a look at say 'Harvard' and see what percentage of their students are white males, especially white middle class males...
just a typical example...

the best schools seem to accept, everyone over middle class white male caucasian kids...regardless of how good their grades might be from High School...or how many activities they might be enrolled and participate in...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
College professors are way overpaid, and so are many universities over charging for the crap that they teach our kids...

heck my son is taking a science class at a local college, and he told me that the "professor" spends the first 20 minutes talking about leftist politics before starting on the subject at hand.. every darn day... funny, he is a grad of UCal Berkeley... who'd a thunk it?

The local Southern Oregon University in Ashland, has X amount of budget for 'freshman' recruitment each year... 60% of the entire budget is spent in Saudi Arabia... they want that foreign big bucks, and cater to Islam all over the place...

do I have a problem with it? Yeah, big time...

if private college want to do it, well I guess there is not much one can say about it... but then once you look at it being a state and federally supported school... yeah I have a major problem with it.. the same way they fall all over themselves giving free rides to students who are always social disasters.. ( read that as from minority welfare rat families..) and then how many of these students flunk out of colleges over and over.. yet taking slots for students who are not minorities but would do well...

take a look at say 'Harvard' and see what percentage of their students are white males, especially white middle class males...
just a typical example...

the best schools seem to accept, everyone over middle class white male caucasian kids...regardless of how good their grades might be from High School...or how many activities they might be enrolled and participate in...

There you go all the fact in a small package. What's so hard to understand about that. America is paying [bleep] like these people to brain wash our kids and call it an education.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to pick your school carefully. Schools couldn't be more politicized now than they were in the 70's. I went to a small Jesuit college and the only political talk was in the dorms. The facilities weren't as nice but perfectly adequate, tuition and fees were very affordable. The only outreach program was to the local inner city where high schools pretty much sucked. It was a big summer program to bring high school students up to speed and to give them a chance to show they could handle the coursework. Financial aid was available for those who genuinely needed it. On my last visit the facilities were very nice. That was due to a well managed endowment fund from charitable donations and alumni giving back. The course of studies had grown impressively too.

One thing I grew to appreciate was the absence of fraternities. There were no real divisions within the student body, it was more like a community. For all the anti-war rhetoric abroad it was never a dividing issue, we actually conversed with the "opposition" and allowed for if not appreciated their point of view. (More often than not over beers, legal age was 18 then.)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I taught a graduate level course locally. The university is a large public school and I was offended by what they asked me to teach and will not teach again. As a part time professor, I was paid an offensively low amount that came to a little more than minimum wage. BY the time I prepared for class, taught, handled homework and testing, the two semesters that I taught were almost charity care. The students were primarily oriental and South American, could barely speak English, were unable to work on basic excel spreadsheets and could not format a simple written sentence. Several skipped classes. They were here to learn the language and sit for professional exams to become dentists, physicians and other professionals. When they failed, I was accused of bigotry and favoritism. Many students felt that the international students should be held to a different standard, as they had hurdles the US born students did not. At least until I explained that employers looked at the �A� they got and counted it the same as the �A� they thought foreign student deserved. In this case, it was all about the money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Non residents pay much more for the same educational product. It's good math/business. Those from many third world countries also appreciate the value of an education, have superior work ethics, and see almost unlimited potential after finishing.

There are some students though, that are a product of homeland aristocracy, and are exactly the opposite.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/27/12.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That plain sucks. I don't know what our professors were paid, in the business school most had established, successful businesses and taught because they wanted to. Admissions was not the least bit elitist but insured that students were capable of the coursework. Office hours were freely available for anyone having trouble and I suppose tutoring could have been arranged but help from classmates seemed sufficient. But performance was required in any case. I don't remember any foreign students but I'm sure they would have been treated as any other student.

This attendance thing baffles me, in college and professional school attendance was taken and you did not want to go past the few allowed unexcused absences, a point very clearly made the first day.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.