-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am trying to gather intelligence and materials to do my first pillar bed job.

I see where brownells sells pilot bits for pillar installation, but was wondering how necessary they are if I can use my drill press?

Also, is there a DVD or a chapter in a book that you can recommend? I think I have seen about everything on the net and YouTube

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use an aluminum center, like you would see in a dead center to land the hole on, I can drill into it without worry. The bit will self center as long as you are not chasing a 1/4" hole with a 3/4" bit. It will make you nervous as can be.....but it will go. Grab a piece of scrap and try it.....you'll be fine. You need room for the epoxy anyhow.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard has the best instruction videos of anyone i know. You will learn more in a hour from his videos than a year of reading

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/instructionalvideos.htm

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks bea175, i was wondering if it was worth buying. There is a write up on accurateshooter.com of his method. That's where I found out about him.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I leaned how to build my own rifles from his metal smith video and now barrel and chamber my own bolt guns. My opinion his video is well worth the small amount he charges.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am trying to gather intelligence and materials to do my first pillar bed job.

I see where brownells sells pilot bits for pillar installation, but was wondering how necessary they are if I can use my drill press?
While they're probably not necessary, they sure make the job easier. I use my knee mill and the piloted tooling when I set up the stock for pillars...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Piloted counterbores are the way to go for precise pillar holes. I've got piloted aircraft counterbores in .375, .500, .562 and .750 sizes and 1/4" and 5/16" pilots. For the rear pillars that are underneath the trigger guard, the .500 works well on most. The .562 (9/16") will come right to the edge (on 700's and those that use the same trigger guard), but will be fine as long as you have a snug fitting pilot in the action screw hole.

Make sure you have adequate clearance between the screw and the pillar and that the screw is centered in the pillar hole when you're done. I make the pillar holes .312 (5/16") and use these Delrin sleeves (.312 o.d. and .250 i.d.) to center the inletting screws when the action is dropped into the bedding. The sleeves are glued into the pillars and removed after the action is removed from the cured bedding:

[Linked Image]

Before I got the counterbores, my first pillar installs were done with drill bits. This will give good results if you take your time, make sure things are straight and go up in small increments. If you're using a drill press to do this, you'll find out that some have significant quill wander under any side load. Sometimes, a good straight setup and a variable speed hand drill gets you straighter holes.

If your rifle has an ADL style front screw eschuteon and you want to keep it so it looks 'factory', go down from the top to just above the eschuteon, then get in there with a Dremel shocked and remove the rest of the wood until you expose the top of the eschuteon. Clean the top of the eschuteon with acetone and bed the front pillar to it. If, as your screen name implies, you're doing a Sako with the front action screw that threads into the bottom of the lug, you want the bottom of the lug bedded against the top of the pillar. Allow plenty of clearance around the recoil lug sides, front and bottom, except as noted above.

On 700's and Model 70's, I make a small pillar for the center action screw so it threads into the pillar rather than the action so as not to stress the action as it's tightened.

Finally, after everything is done and cleaned up, bed the bottom metal...makes a big difference.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use end mills or a piloted counterbore, depends on what size hole I need and what tooling is in stock in the shop.

Pic below shows using an end mill in the vertical mill. I have a simple jig for the drill press, will take a photo and post it later, it makes the job real easy in the drill press.

[Linked Image]

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a simple jig:

Jig set up in drill press. Made from scrap walnut and a few pieces of hardware. The round bar (ends are turned to fit stock screw holes) in the chuck is for aligning the stock to the spindle, bump the table around until it looks right and tighten the table clamps. If you are using a piloted counter bore, just line up to the pilot.

[Linked Image]

The jig below. Two straps, 1/4" carriage bolts and wing nuts for clamping to the drill press table. A pad for clamping the stock to the jig, it is a piece of �� thick aluminum with leather glued on to protect the stock. Make the jig long enough to fully support the forend. If needed I sometimes will clamp the tip of the forend to the jig, this keeps the stock in tight contact with the jig, ensuring the holes you bore are perpendicular to the barrel centerline.

[Linked Image]

1/4�-20 nut epoxied in the bottom of the jig for the stock clamp screw.

[Linked Image]

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slick jig for the drill press...thanks for sharing it. smile

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the replies. Some of this is over my head, but I do enjoy the read.

That is a nice jig Cabriolet. Thanks for taking the time! I really appreciate it.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,468
Posts18,489,880
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.