Print Thread
Hop To
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have some extra j-frame size Power Custom end shake shims and am looking for 1 or 2 for the k-frame. Rather than pay for a pack of 10, anyone have spares and want to do a trade?

Ella

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd find someone who has a crane stretcher...

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
How come? I'm no smith. I have found the shims useful in the past. Is crane stretching a superior solution?

Ella

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes. It removes the end shake so shims aren't required.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ella
PM me.
I may have a few extra.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B2

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Bob, sent you a pm.

I'd still be curious to know if there are advantages to yoke stretching over using shims....

Ella

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The yoke stretcher swedges the end of crane shaft effectively making it longer. The tool looks like a tubing cutter and is used in the same manner. Once the end is swedged you file/stone it to hand fit the crane to the cylinder removing the end shake. Used to be the proper way to fix a S&W...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I attended a S&W Revolver Armorer's School in the late 80's. The students all made their own yoke stretching tools by simply dulling the cutting blade of a standard tubing cutter. Contained in the tool kit we were issued by S&W were yoke liners for both "J" and "K" frame size yokes. To properly stretch a yoke without damaging it, the liner is necessary:

[Linked Image]

When repairing cylinder end shake by stretching the yoke, the process looks like this:

[Linked Image]

The dulled tubing cutter swages the yoke and increases its length. After doing this repair a few times, you get a feel for just how much swaging is necessary to remove cylinder end shake.

I did repair a few guns using shims, but did not care for that procedure because it adds a small part that is easily lost, and on some guns the cylinder tended to drag in rotation because of the added friction of the shim. This negatively affected the double action trigger pull.

Before doing any swaging of the yoke, make sure that the end shake is caused by the fit of the cylinder to the yoke. There is another form of end shake (called yoke end shake) that is caused by the fit of the yoke in the frame, and the cure for that involves peening the yoke and refitting the yoke screw.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the post, wildhobby. That procedure looks more involved than dropping in a shim. Yoke is tight in the frame, but there's a tad more movement than I'd like when the cylinder is in lock up. I've not noticed a degradation in double action pull, but now that you're mentioning it I'll have to double check....

Ella

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would be willing to swage your yoke for you if you want...does that sound like an obscene proposition????

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B3

E
Ella Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Sounds a little something! But I do appreciate the kind offer.

I'm down in South Carolina and might as well have a smith in town do it. I think I'm going to shim it first and see what that feels like. I've had good luck with the shims in the past and saw some back and forth on another forum about which treatment was best. But I'll be saving your photo tutorial for future reference.

Thanks again,
Ella

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.