Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

...on a 700 short action. I'm buying a barrel from PacNor and thinking on finishing it myself.

I'm confident I can thread the tang and front end (I'll be installing a suppressor). Not sure about chambering, and headspacing. I know I'll have to buy, borrow, or steal reamers and gauges and that it would be a lot cheaper to have PacNor do the the whole thing.

But as a hobby machinist I'd like to try it. I have a Monarch 10EE lathe and other machines.

Should I do it?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know what your skill level is, so I won't recommend one way or the other on you doing the work yourself.
But I will tell you that the two that I built on Rem 700 .223 donor rifles suffered from poor ejection. The factory extractor pivots the empty brass at the 3:00 position. This causes the brass to pivot into the slot that the locking lug passes through. Because the case is so short it pivots far enough that it slips free from the extractor and isn't ejected. A refit to a Sako or M16 extractor will help fix this. These extractors sit above the locking lug so the case pivots more at a 1:30/2:00 position, missing the locking lug passage way and limiting the amount the brass can pivot. This way the brass is retained by the extractor until it clears the ejection port. If you look at a factory Fireball/Blackout extractor you will see that Remington clocked it above the locking lug to correct this problem.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can find a Rem model 7 221/300 Blackout action it would fit your needs better.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by orwapitihunter
I don't know what your skill level is, so I won't recommend one way or the other on you doing the work yourself.
But I will tell you that the two that I built on Rem 700 .223 donor rifles suffered from poor ejection. The factory extractor pivots the empty brass at the 3:00 position. This causes the brass to pivot into the slot that the locking lug passes through. Because the case is so short it pivots far enough that it slips free from the extractor and isn't ejected. A refit to a Sako or M16 extractor will help fix this. These extractors sit above the locking lug so the case pivots more at a 1:30/2:00 position, missing the locking lug passage way and limiting the amount the brass can pivot. This way the brass is retained by the extractor until it clears the ejection port. If you look at a factory Fireball/Blackout extractor you will see that Remington clocked it above the locking lug to correct this problem.

Thanks for the tip. A Sako extractor will be fitted.

I decided to have Pac-Nor do the entire job. I just don't have confidence in my present skill level to attempt it. They were very nice to give me plenty of scrap to play with.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.