Print Thread
Hop To
S
stiff Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,looks like I have to send my shotgun to a gunsmith in NY,I live in ILL.Cabelas won't ship to a smith,what would be my best method to ship,Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By which ever method makes you comfortable. Except for small parts, I've been shipping all my stuff by UPS for over 30 years. I haven't had a lost or damaged gun yet. Ooops, I probably shouldn't have said that. grin

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If it is valuable, and you can't stand the possiblity of damage or theft, the best bet is USPS Registered Mail, Return Receipt and insured for the correct amount.

Otherwise, either Fedex or UPS Second Day delivery is OK, but not bullet proof.

If you can take the gun down to make its package look less like a gun you will lessen the chance of theft. Make sure the delivery address label doesn't mention guns, gunsmith, sporting goods, etc.

In any case, make sure your packaging is very protective and externally rugged. Insure for the correct amount.

RAN

S
stiff Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
I didn't know you could ship through USPS,if I use fed ex,ups,or usps,don't I have to tell them it's a firearm?They all have metal detectors around Chicago,a local gun shop around here won't even send it.Thank You.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't walk into the Post office with the shotgun hoping they'll package it for you. grin

Go to the prospective shippers web site and read their regulations regarding shipping firearms. And print out a copy while you are at it to give the stupid clerk when he/she begins to give you crap about it.

P.S. This America. You don't need the local gunshop to ship it for you. But you might want to tell them what a bunch of turds they are for refusing to assist you.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

S
stiff Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Thanks,i'll let you guys know what happens,will ship next week,Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
By which ever method makes you comfortable. Except for small parts, I've been shipping all my stuff by UPS for over 30 years. I haven't had a lost or damaged gun yet. Ooops, I probably shouldn't have said that. grin

I'm just the opposite.. I refuse to use UPS for firearms.. Get a copy of the FFL you're shipping to. Verify (if you wish) through this site:

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Then ship via USPS insured.. Package well, exterior box must be unmarked as to contents, and all the clerk can ask you is if the contents is liquid, fragile, perishable or hazardous.. Nothing else..

Best of luck.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Long guns are OK with USPS. Pistols are not. They must be sent via UPS or Fedex.

RAN

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You can/should send it to the 'smith direct (presume he has an FFL), he can/should send it directly back to you. No transfer paperwork involved. I recommend USPS, pack it well, insure it for full value. You are not obliged to tell them anything else, and I wouldn't.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RAN
Long guns are OK with USPS. Pistols are not. They must be sent via UPS or Fedex.

RAN
With the exception if the shipper and receiver both have FFLs and have filed a Form 1508 with the USPS..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.