Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Q
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Q
Not a trigger bashing, just a heads up. Recently while adjusting the trigger on a 10 year old Rem. 700 I encountered a problem I hadn't seen before. After thourghly cleaning and lubricating the trigger the creep and over travel checked good, pull weight was running about 5 lbs a little heavier than I like on a varmint caliber. Tried adjusting pull weight and nothing happened on initial check backed the screw out some more and nothing had changed tried recocking and the sear didn't hold, repeat with the same results a few times. Short story of it that I found the trigger return spring was just large enough in diameter to hang up on the threads in the adjusment screw hole. Some times it would stick and sometimes not causing an eratic pull weight and sear engagement. Fortunatly I have a large selection of springs on hand and was able to replace the spring with a slightly smaller diameter spring. Trigger adjusted right in and has been performing fine for about 200 rounds and sveral checks now. So if you have one giving you fits you might want to check for this.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes indeed! This is more common than a lot of folks realize. It's usually a result of rough threads which sometimes turns an otherwise simple job of removing the spring, into a task. When I clean and service 700 triggers, I always run a small reamer through that particular hole to remove burrs and to give the spring enough room to move freely back and forth in it's hole. The screw is a 6x40, but a #31 drill bit and compressed air should work to clear the hole of burrs.

Hint: I remove most of the tapered end from a round toothpick and thread it into the spring to capture and remove it from the hole. This BTW, works with all small coil springs.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.