-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm headed to Michigan to take care of some family matters in April and I think I will carry my 30-30 with me. I have been thinking of putting aperture sights on it as the stock iron sights just don't work with these aging eyes anymore. Once I have them on the rifle all I have to do is step out the back door of my sister's house and get it zero'd which is nice.

I'll be doing all this myself and I'm not sure what tools she still has at her place, (azzhole ex-BIL took most everything). What will I need? Anything special or just a screwdriver and allen wrench? Any torque settings required? My 94 is pre drilled for the sight.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just used the appropriate-sized screwdrivers.

If there were any torque settings, I didn't see them, I just tightened things down until I felt like they were tight enough, considering screw size. They haven't loosened in several years of shooting.

I just snug the adjustment locks.

That's how I did it. Maybe somebody can come along with more technical directions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Should only need a screwdriver for the installation. Will need some smaller slotted head drivers, but that's all you should need.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good enough, thanks. I plan on having it zero'd before I go back home.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the williams fp peep sight that i have got put on with blue loctite and then the two tiny lock screws have to be loosened with a small jewelers screw driver before making sight adjustments. don't try to save a few bucks by going with the 5D sight as it is simpler but more time consuming to adjust. with the price of ammo these days, you don't want to waste a lot of ammo sighting in your gun. good luck with it, Mel Chung

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm headed to Michigan in April to help my sister through her cancer treatments and while I'm there I will wander over to Williams Gun Sight Co. and pick up everything I need. I can shoot right outside her back door. At my wife's insistence, I will now also be putting a set of peep sights on her 10/22 Compact.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've put peep sights (usually Williams) on many of my lever actions. If your standard open sights are sighted in, one thing you can do is put the peep on before knocking out the rear sight and lining it up with the rear as the rear sight is in line with the front sight. Then tighten the screws on the peep and knock out (or fold down) the rear sight. Take it to the range and shoot... You'll probably have to adjust a little bit but don't be too surprised if you are already dead-on.

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know.

Good luck to your sister!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I put one of these on my 1895 Marlin and I love it! Two flathead screws and it's on. As stiknstring stated, I lined my up with the original rear sight, and only had to make a very small adjustment, as I was already on paper at 100 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will really see the difference with the peep sights with your old eyes. I sure did. I bought an old 94 in .32 Special that looked pretty junky and fixed it up with a fairly inexpensive Williams peep. I could whack a deer at 100 yards pretty easily with it. Before I couldn't even see the iron sights. Yours will be easy to mount since you don't have any drilling and tapping to do. I put clear fingenail polish on screw threads like these. It locks them to keep them from backing out but you can still break them loose fairly easily. Had a Puma .357 that I could hit a 4" gong swinging in the wind almost every time at 100 yards with one of these sights. Ended up trading / giving it to a good friend becasue he wanted it so bad. A peep sight will breathe new confidence into you lungs.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget to pick up a filler blank for the rear sight dovetail slot, after you remove the rear sight for a clean sight picture.

AND, I'd pick up a FireSight front sight blade, too - Williams makes/sells both the FP & the 5D as a kit with the proper height front FireSight.

[Linked Image]

Heck, if you have to have a front sight hood, Williams even makes one with a hole in it's roof, especially for FireSights.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rangr44
Don't forget to pick up a filler blank for the rear sight dovetail slot, after you remove the rear sight for a clean sight picture.

AND, I'd pick up a FireSight front sight blade, too - Williams makes/sells both the FP & the 5D as a kit with the proper height front FireSight.

[Linked Image]

Heck, if you have to have a front sight hood, Williams even makes one with a hole in it's roof, especially for FireSights.

I used a Williams WGRS peep, and an XS replacement front (just a shade taller than original) with a vertical white stripe in the center. It works very well with my 59 year-old eyes, even in dim light.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 13 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.