Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Wasilla Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Bought a NEW Charter arms 44 special "target revolver" with out doing my usual research. I got it for concealed carry and knew it was not a target gun but the quality, craftmanship and materials realy is disapointing. First discovery of the roughness of the chambers came about after trying to extract CCI factory load Blazer casses. After whacking on the ejector rod several times the whole cylinder came out of the swing arm. The only thing holding it in place is a small spring ring in a groove and a little persuasion boots it right out. Next after removing the rubber grips I find the entire grip FRAME is imitation stainless PLASTIC ?? I was headed for the trigger to try to hone some of the dragging anchor roughness out of it and discovered it is press pinned together and you can not get to the trigger department. The bore / lands has plow marks like an old breaking plow was drug down it. I am VERY disapointed with it. It is nothing like my OLD charter stainless 38 snubbie!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the heads-up on it. I'll have to look at some new Charters. My experience with them years ago was limited, but good. I've heard the new ones aren't up to the old ones.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hard to beat a Rossi 720 if you're looking for a small 44 Special!

Jeff

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It is unfortunate but this is the way the company has been since day one all through it's many owners. The real shame is they have such great ideas but just not the wherewithall to make a quality product..

I looked over their guns at the SHOT Show... Really great ideas poorly executed.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! What a shame. I had a .44 Bulldog Pug that I have always regretted trading. It was bulletproof. A friend loaded me some hot .44 shotshells for woods carry. It was perfect with some hardcores, too. My "maybe favorite" handgun right now is a SS 3" Pathfinder that has been factory converted to .22mag. Toughness used to be Charter's claim to fame. "The times, they are a changing".

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Thanks for the heads-up on it. I'll have to look at some new Charters. My experience with them years ago was limited, but good. I've heard the new ones aren't up to the old ones.
I had a .44 Bulldog in the early 1980s. I wish I still had it. Nothing wrong with the quality back then. It's a shame to hear how it's deteriorated.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Hard to beat a Rossi 720 if you're looking for a small 44 Special!

Jeff
I looked at the Rossi website. Apparently they don't make them anymore.

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've shot a lot of .44 Special handguns. For MY use the best has and is the 696 5 shot Smith and Wesson. Hard to find and expensive but I know why. They fill the bill. Next on my list is the model 60-10 Smith in .357 Magnum....

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I replied to this same complaint on another board, there have been four companies DBA "Charter Arms."

The original one made very good guns. I own one and it is indeed top drawer. Everyone mourned the passing of that company.

In the very late 1990s came a company that bought the rights to the name and called themselves Charter 2000. The guns were nowehere near as good as the original company, and the company lasted barely until its name date.

Then came an outfit named CharCo, whose guns could legitimately be called dreadful. Some of the "new in box" guns being sold today are leftovers from that debacle - and they remained unsold for excellent reasons.

There is now a Charter Arms again, and if John Taffin is to be believed (and he sure as heck is) they are once again turning out a decent product.

The moral is to read the maker's stamp VERY closely if you are considering a Charter gun of any kind.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Wasilla Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I just looked over the paper work and found it is a Charter 2000. I think I will try to loose it at the next gun show. I have a safe full of Smiths and Rugers --don't know what put the bug in me to buy a Charter. DUMMYDUMMYDUMMY

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I gotta agree with Rocky here. I owned an original Charter Arms Bulldog and it was a great gun. I have also handled the newest Charter Arms guns and they are every bit as good as the originals in my opinion.

The Charter 2000 guns I have seen around the shows here have all been really bad looking and feeling. I handled a Charter 2000 Bulldog at a show, and dry firing it literally felt like the action had been hit with 320 paper and left that way.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bulldog by the new maker though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a Charter Arms Bulldog in 38Spl back in the late sixties/early seventies and it was a well put together revolver, I'm like RockyRaab I wish I still had it, it was a fine light weight revolver.

If memory serves me right it was recomended to me not to shoot +P loads in it though as it was designed to handle the +P loads, but my memory could be mistaken.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The moral is to read the maker's stamp VERY closely if you are considering a Charter gun of any kind.
What markings should we look for if we only want one of the currently manufactured Charter Arms guns?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe on them where the maker is stamped on the side of the barrel it will actually say "CharCo", "Charter 2000", or "Charter Arms" along with where it was made.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually I see that they are or will be offering a 6" .327 Federal Magnum with adjustable sights.
I might give that a whirl. Seems it would make a dandy of a trail/small game gun. Heck I am sure my wife would be all over it too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I believe on them where the maker is stamped on the side of the barrel it will actually say "CharCo", "Charter 2000", or "Charter Arms" along with where it was made.

So if it says "Charter Arms" we are safe buying it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe so....all the ones I have seen were marked either Charter 2000 or CharCo.
Maybe Rocky can chime in too.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I did have one of the oiginal .44 Bulldogs back in the 80s... It would handle the loads but turn the bullets sideways by the time they made the 25 yard line.. Seems that some of them had a flat spot on the botton of the barrel right at the forcing cone. It was very easy to see when you looked..the barrel was totatlly round and the botton it was just deadass flat... So some were good, some not so good.

I always thought the Pathfinder was a GREAT little gun... Never have shot one or handled one outside a shop. I remember an old article that Hal Swigget did..he had one of the really small pistol scopes mounted on one and it made a great pocket plinker... Can't remember the name of the scope but the original had the adjustments in the base...the second generation had internal adjustments...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your going to bet your life on a wheel gun, make sure it is a Colt or Smith & Wesson. This was told to me over 50 years ago and I would bet money, things haven't changed much since.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tonk
If your going to bet your life on a wheel gun, make sure it is a Colt or Smith & Wesson. This was told to me over 50 years ago and I would bet money, things haven't changed much since.
I tend to agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.