Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Hi, I just picked up a vintage 1911 that I am a bit confused on its lineage. It is a franken gun but I am finding some inspector marks that confuse me. The slide is a Ithaca but the frame markings are the dilemma. I see the United States Property clearly marked but the inspector marks of EEC indicates a Remington inspector, over a Eagles Head Springfield cartouche. The serial number indicates a Colt frame ala 1912 though. Of course it could be a counterfeit too. I paid shooters price so not that I got soaked. Any help is appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are likely a couple of gurus here

but there are definitely some at this site:

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=ebd07a09353c69b4e69c77b69f33c12f&f=30

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow. If it's not a counterfeit frame you really have yourself a treasure there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Wow. If it's not a counterfeit frame you really have yourself a treasure there.

That is a fact and it was probably an early WWII refurb, they just pulled em apart and binned the parts and the commenced to build guns from the bins without regard to maker. Evan as such it is a fairly valuable piece because of the 1911 Colt frame. The inspectors marks are from the rebuild BTW and it may have been done more than once..

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course I am assuming it is a Colt frame because of the SN and the cut outs under the grips. Another SN inconsistency is the is the Colt's I have seen has No. vs. the NO on this one. I have not found any other markings to indicate it is a Colt.

I found this blurb out there...

Ithaca started production in December of 1942 and was the only established firearms company to produce 1911A1s other than Colt. The total number of pistols produced by Ithaca was 335,466. In early 1942 & 1943 Ithaca did not have all the equipment necessary to manufacture the components so they received parts from other contractors that included 6,200 WWI receivers that Springfield had in storage. These early Colt receivers (frames) can be quickly identified by the cut-outs under the stocks. Colt also supplied many of the small parts.

Looking at some online images I see the type face on the vintage colt is more traditional.

[Linked Image]
Here is an example of the Eagles head on a Colt.

[Linked Image]

I don't really want to join 1911.com but will have a friend post some pics there, that definitely seems to be the resource.

Last edited by supercrewd; 06/03/12.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, that is why the Union Switch & Signal guns had High Standard barrels.

The 1911.com is an excellent resource as mentioned.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a 1911 colt "black army" WWI vintage, it has the springfield eagle on it. The reason for that is that was stamped on the gun after acceptance by the military.
grips arent original either. Don't believe the sights are either, and notice the difference between the slide stop, and mag release. It has been parted together for sure. However that is a early number for the frame
EEC is edmund e chapman, who was inspector for remington UMC at the time, not colt
if i get time i will look up some of it in my clousen's book

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/03/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Yep, that is why the Union Switch & Signal guns had High Standard barrels.

The 1911.com is an excellent resource as mentioned.

If i remember right without looking, i have some hi standard barrels in WWII remington's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would not surprise me, they made a bunch.

Old cat turd!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The slide is what seems to be a National Match rework as it has a NM barrel and bushing. The sights were added but I do not know if the NM rework included the rear sight at least.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should reach out to member JamesDunn, he'll have the straight scoop. And if there's any chance of returning that gun to original condition (be it WW II rebuild, or WW I original), he's the man who will know where to get the parts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The sights look like Hienie "Straight Eight" sights, to me, similar to what is on the Taurus 1911s.
I probably wouldn't shoot it "hot 'n' heavy" due to the age of the parts, but it'll be a fun gun to play around with.

It's a shooter, not a collector's wet dream.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
H
So what you have is a WWII refurbish as some others have said, but it is not a Colt frame.

The Serial number, EEC and eagles head indicate it is a Remington-UMC frame, 1918 vintage.

The only thing strange about it is that it is parkerized, but it does not have an arsenal rebuild stamping on the frame anywhere. So it might not be a military mixmaster or someone may have put it together. If it shoots well, enjoy it!

Originally Posted by supercrewd
Hi, I just picked up a vintage 1911 that I am a bit confused on its lineage. It is a franken gun but I am finding some inspector marks that confuse me. The slide is a Ithaca but the frame markings are the dilemma. I see the United States Property clearly marked but the inspector marks of EEC indicates a Remington inspector, over a Eagles Head Springfield cartouche. The serial number indicates a Colt frame ala 1912 though. Of course it could be a counterfeit too. I paid shooters price so not that I got soaked. Any help is appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandfather's 1911..went to SEA with me after some mods.New barrel/bushing,sights,grips,beaver tail and mags.All parts are original Colt as the gun was given to him for his civilian service at a Naval ordinance plant during WW2.I've kept all the parts of course so real easy to reverse engineer back in time..Don't have clue of its value but it will stay in the family,just too much history.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by herenaurora
So what you have is a WWII refurbish as some others have said, but it is not a Colt frame.

The Serial number, EEC and eagles head indicate it is a Remington-UMC frame, 1918 vintage.

The only thing strange about it is that it is parkerized, but it does not have an arsenal rebuild stamping on the frame anywhere. So it might not be a military mixmaster or someone may have put it together. If it shoots well, enjoy it!

Originally Posted by supercrewd

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did Remington make WWI guns? I thought they were only WWII

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Did Remington make WWI guns? I thought they were only WWII
You're thinking of Remington-Rand. They made 1911 A1s during WWII. I have one in extremely nice condition, that likely came home in someone's duffle bag, which was a common practice back then.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is an interesting trigger/cut out on that one!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is most definitely a M1911 frame from the WWI era

Colt, Springfield, and Remington Arms were the only manufactures of M1911's......Colt being the majority of course

Remington-Rand were M911A1s

If the slide is Ithica, it is definitely a rebuild either by the military or someone else

Here is a website of serial numbers and manufacturers

http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm

Last edited by Boococky; 06/04/12.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That is Remington UMC for the WWI, remington rand for WWII. Which is often times where the confusion starts. A lot of these guns ended up being modifyied for various reasons. At one time you could get one through the NRA as mil surp for about 28bucks. Then they got played with for bullseye competition and other things. Personally I kind of prefer the WWI version with the flat mainspring housing and long trigger pull. The bugger is a Lot of the pistols had sights replaced and that front sight is staked in. Try finding an original staked front sight. If anybody has one they would like to sell let me know. I have a 43remington rand that needs an original front sight. That particular pistol is 100% original except the front sight, and the rear sight being replaced by what passed as national match about 50years ago. I located an original rear, but not the front.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/04/12.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Old cat turd!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.