Print Thread
Hop To
#7058825 11/09/12
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I finally decided to get into the 45 Colt busines...so my dealer found one of the Accusport run Blackhawk Bisley convertible models. I put a deposit down and waited for it to come in. While I was waiting, I picked up a Saeco mold in anticipation of the new acquisition.

I cast up a bunch of bullets and find out that it is casting undersized--0.450" to be specific. I call Saeco and they say "send it in to us." Okay...back to the manufacturer it goes.

The revolver shows up...I have heard the reports of Ruger's undersized chamber throats so no surprise there. I haven't gotten any components or dies yet for the Colt yet so I figure I will just drop in the ACP cylinder and hit the range since I have plenty of that stuff on hand. I clean the gun, put the cylinder in and do a quick function test with some sized brass...push the first case in and try to spin the cylinder so I can chamber another...no go. The first didn't chamber deeply enough to allow the cylinder to spin. Take the case out, measure it (its within spec), spin cylinder, try a different chamber...same story. I take the cylinder out and find that 4 of the 6 chambers weren't drilled deeply enough.

I call Ruger...they say "box it up and ship it to us with this prepaid UPS label."

So here I am, I have just purchased a new gun and a mold for that gun...and since I have shipped everything back to the manufacturer...all I have to show for it are a bunch of undersize cast bullets that I haven't melted back down. And even when I get it all back, I know I am still going to have to ream the chamber mouths.

I know this was a little long winded but I just had to vent. I should have just bought more components for my .44 or something instead of thinking I needed a 45 Colt..

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That does suck. I'd stay the course and work through it though, it will be a really nice revolver.

Sounds like Ruger's customer support/service is there for you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It will be worth all the waiting.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can relate to your frustration � been there and done that with a Kahr.

Ruger seems to be steadily slipping into the QC paradigm of �only fixin� the one�s people complain about.� I bought a stainless .41 Bisley some years ago that wouldn�t take aftermarket grips. The frame was so far out of spec that three different sets � two of them customs � wouldn�t match up with the frame well enough to tighten them up.

I sent it back, at my expense, and they returned it to me the same way with a work order indicating they replaced some actions parts?!

Outside of an LCP purchase last year, I haven�t bought any more Ruger handguns (the worst offenders, I think) and don�t plan to unless I start hearing better things about their consistent quality.

As long as people keep buying them � nothing will change, I do know that.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You�re forgetting one other thing you have to show for it; you�re a bit lighter in the wallet�see how much help I am?

I�m confident that both companies will do you right. And not always are the Ruger cylinders horribly under-sized. In fact, I recently test drove a couple of Ruger .44 Specials who�s chambers were a perfect .005 over the bore. You�ll be having lots of fun before you know it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
It will be worth all the waiting.

+1 on that

Mine is pert near perfect

They will make your right

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I have heard the reports of Ruger's undersized chamber throats so no surprise there. I haven't gotten any components or dies yet for the Colt yet so I figure I will just drop in the ACP cylinder and hit the range since I have plenty of that stuff on hand. I clean the gun, put the cylinder in and do a quick function test with some sized brass...push the first case in and try to spin the cylinder so I can chamber another...no go. The first didn't chamber deeply enough to allow the cylinder to spin. Take the case out, measure it (its within spec), spin cylinder, try a different chamber...same story. I take the cylinder out and find that 4 of the 6 chambers weren't drilled deeply enough.

Ruger figures for every 1,000 guys there's an asshat like you that actually checks. Stop being such a picky bastid. wink

Seriously, nowadays it seems the mass market manufacturers farm out QAQC to the consumer.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Hi, my name is Josh and I am a firearm beta tester...

Thanks guys for entertaining my frustrations.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not that I am much of a help either, but this is exactly why I standardized on primarily shooting .44 mag S&Ws and Rugers. It is hard to find one that does not shoot well.

.45s have been a whole other story.

.44s:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Gee, Mackay, I guess you like .44 Magnums.
I've owned two smiths and have shot lots of other smiths and Rugers. But I've kept only one. It's a 4 inch and it has the best 2 1/4 lb., "breaks like a glass rod" handgun trigger I've ever shot.
Lots of power, more than I need most of the time.
They were, after all, developed to give the outdoorsman a very solid performering handgun that didn't have the .45 Colt's design problems. Odviously very popular for very good reasons. E

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Hi, my name is Josh and I am a firearm beta tester...

Well I cheaped out and bought a Taurus "Gaucho" crazy , that thing truly was a POS!, I replaced it with an Uberti 1873 Colt, that's a fine gun, at least you went in a good direction to begin with!

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Know what you mean. My blackhawk had .449 throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.