-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
High on my list is the Ruger std. weight, walnut sporter and maybe if I can find the right deal an Anschutz 1517. I know the Savages and CZ are shooters, but handling them.......fit and finish is quite rough and a bit below where I want. I had a NEF .17hmr and really enjoyed the caliber but traded that and now need a new one. What's your pick in the $400-700 range?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite sporter weight 17 HMR is the Marlin 917S.

My favorite varmint weight 17 HMR is the Savage 93R17BTVS.

After being tuned, all of the Marlin and Savage 17 HMRs and 17 HM2s that I've shot have been capable of shooting to maximum capability/skill-set of most shooters who aren't serious BR guys.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my Rugers, but I'm quite happy with the fit/finish on my two CZ's.

Life is just one damned thing after another
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Gunbroker Sako QUAD MACH II $432 shipped MSR about $950.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Centershot: My local pawn/sport shop has a beautiful and minty Weatherby bolt action Rifle in caliber 17 HMR.
I think the asking price on this beautifully stocked Rifle is $650.00.
I have sure been happy with my Ruger 77/17 V/T (gray stocked heavy stainless barreled model).
They are somewhat pricey but VERY accurate!
I have two close friends that shoot these and they are both as accurate as mine is.
I have as yet to see, firsthand, an inaccurate 17 HMR!
The heavy barreled CZ's are quite accurate but of course you have to deal with their "backwards" safety levers and hang dog magazines.
I think the brand name of a semi-automatic 17 HMR that I was so impressed with from last years Hunting was "Magnum Research".
My friend from out on the west coast owns it and indeed it was impressively accurate as well.
I highly recommend the Ruger 77/17 V/T for impressive accuracy, great triggers, rotary, flush fitting high capacity magazines (9+1), fit of the stock, quality of workmanship and holding their resale value well!
Best of luck with whichever 17 HMR you choose.
The important thing is you get another one and soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the first 77/17 blue/walnut rifle to hit town. Been very happy with it. Couldn't ask for a more accurate rifle. It'll put 5 shots into one ragged hole at 30 yards. Presently have a Leupold 8X AO on it. Seems to work great for my needs. I didn't like the square edges on the bottom of the stock, so I rounded 'em up and re-finished in an oil finish. Sure makes for a good looking rifle.
Virgil B.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
VG,

Add one of those Shooter's Ridge 25 round double stack magazines, and I bet you'd really love that Ruger all the more..

I picked up two, they were $18.00 each..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys........used Weatherby $650...hmmm, I like the sounds of that! I've seen the Target Grey Rugers and like them, but for my style of hunting (spot and stalk Rock Chucks or walking for Jack Rabbits) The lighter shorter standard sporter gets the nod. Appreciate the opinions. I know the CZ's, Marlins and Savages have a great reputation for accuracy, but I just can not get into all the stamped parts and magazines and levers that stick out. I think I'd rather have a less accurate Ruger that looks nice. Thanks.

Last edited by centershot; 03/25/09.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger sounds like the ticket for what you want and with up to $700 budgeted, you could get the Ruger and still have money for a Green Mountain barrel, if needed.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I am trying to find a picture of the magazine you are advocating - any suggestions where to look?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lonny - you hit it exactly........except if I put $5-600 in a rimfire it better shoot right off, I could do a trigger job but if I had to re-barrel it, I'd be PO'ed. Exactly why I have not yet thrown down the $ for a Ruger. Maybe I'll hold out for a nice used one....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
centershot,

I've got a Weatherby XXII in 17HMR and have been very pleased with it. I too looked at the Ruger heavy barrel but I also prefer to move around a lot so I prefer the lighter rifles.

Just wish the ammo was a little cheaper.

Good luck in your quest.

Jeff M.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been itching for a .17 HMR for quite awhile and just pulled the trigger on a CZ 452FS. I just picked it up a few days ago and have not shot it yet but a very pretty rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
High on my list is the Ruger std. weight, walnut sporter and maybe if I can find the right deal an Anschutz 1517. I know the Savages and CZ are shooters, but handling them.......fit and finish is quite rough and a bit below where I want. I had a NEF .17hmr and really enjoyed the caliber but traded that and now need a new one. What's your pick in the $400-700 range?

That's not enough scratch to relieve your itch. Get an Anschutz 1717D for 3 times as much to have your itch scratched for good. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd go with the Sako Quad - that way you can pick up a Lilja barrel if you want to shoot competition.

Lilja has them in stock for 360, so 400 for the rifle, 360 for the match barrel and your a bad arse on the move.

Lilja has both heavy and tapered countours.

Awsome rig.

Spot

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by centershot
I would say a browning T-bolt in 17 HMR.very nice rifle IMHO around the $625 price tag.I also have a savage BTVSS in 17hmr that is a tack driver.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 03/29/09.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

I have sure been happy with my Ruger 77/17 V/T (gray stocked heavy stainless barreled model).
They are somewhat pricey but VERY accurate!
I highly recommend the Ruger 77/17 V/T for impressive accuracy, great triggers, rotary, flush fitting high capacity magazines (9+1), fit of the stock, quality of workmanship and holding their resale value well!
The important thing is you get another one and soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Exactamundo! laugh
I shoot exactly the same rifle as VG and am just as happy with it...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.