-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi all. I'm new to the forums here, and I just wanted to share a collarbone breaker that Grandma, (me mum), bought me for Christmas. It weighs 7 lbs. 2 oz. Ouch!!! I've got ammo, but don't know if I dare shoot it. I've never even shot an .06 yet. Maybe a new pad is in order...any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Great site you all have here! Sorry, the big pic won't load...it's too big. I'll work on that.

-Jeff in MN

Attached Images
1014120_rugr1bodd_owa01s.jpg (3.75 KB, 548 downloads)

Armchair Bwana -Jeff in MN
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot some smaller calibers first or at least shoot that one standing up.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by safari317
Hi all. I'm new to the forums here, and I just wanted to share a collarbone breaker that Grandma, (me mum), bought me for Christmas. It weighs 7 lbs. 2 oz. Ouch!!! I've got ammo, but don't know if I dare shoot it. I've never even shot an .06 yet. Maybe a new pad is in order...any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Great site you all have here! Sorry, the big pic won't load...it's too big. I'll work on that.

-Jeff in MN
............There are several ways to reduce the felt recoil or you can do all of them.

1)...You can buy a padded shooting vest. I`ve seen videos where Boddington himself was wearing one. He was bench firing a 375 Ruger on the range.

2)...Get a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. You will have the versatility when you`re wearing thicker clothing to either remove it, or keeping it on when wearing thinner clothing. I use one myself. I can adjust my LOP longer or shorter within 3 seconds.

3)...You can get a lead sled and skip the above two. But imo, it is better to get use to or adjust to the rifle`s recoil, tackle the problem of harsher recoil, and get rid of any possible flinching, intimidation, to not only prepare yourself for your hunts, but to master that rifle on the bench too. Welcome to "recoil" boot camp! LOL!

4)...The animals you hunt may not require a 375, so you can sell that rifle or trade it for another rifle. Uh oh, it was a gift. As such, you may not want to hurt your mum and keep it.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I just got a M70 featherweight in '.06, so I'll start with that and maybe the Rem. reduced recoil loads and work my way up from there. I don't reload yet. Thanks for the tips!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks bigsqueeze! I like the idea of the slip-on limbsaver, I'll check into one. I've got a new '.06 and will be getting a 7mm-08 compact soon, so I'll start with those. This gun being a gift, it is a lifetime keeper. People ask me what I'll shoot with it, and I tell 'em 'anything I want'. lol

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle ... but are you sure me mum loves you??? Is she on your life insureance? smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks bigsqueeze! I like the idea of the slip-on limbsaver, I'll check into one. I've got a new '.06 and will be getting a 7mm-08 compact soon, so I'll start with those. This gun being a gift, it is a lifetime keeper. People ask me what I'll shoot with it, and I tell 'em 'anything I want'. lol
.......That #1 is a real nice piece and certainly a keeper whether you shoot it or not. But ya gots to shoot it!!!! Remember too, that you don`t need to go to Africa in order to own a 375. For bison, moose and the big bears, a 375 is about as ideal a caliber as you can get. A perfect balance between a 338 and the 416s and 458s.

Depending on who you talk with who has Limbsaver slip-on pad experience, they`ll tell you that the felt recoil will be reduced from 35% to 50%.

About $20 for the Limbsaver slip-on or similar pad, is a good investment for the shoulder.

What kinda compact rifles are you looking at??

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm thinking of a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08 with a small scope. Gun, scope & mounts will all be in matte. I'm seeing the rifle go for about $600 delivered. If I could afford it, I'd go for a Kimber 84M montana in 7mm-08 at 5 lbs. 2 oz. Not sure if they still make it, hard to find and pricey. I do like wood over synthetics and blue over stainless. I'll give up a few ounces for the wood. It'll be my everyday beater gun that I won't be hurt if it gets scratched or dinged a bit. Gotta draw the line somewhere right? LOL

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've never shot a deer from a benchrest, so I'm gonna try targets from natural rests, sling, prone, standing, kneeling, resting on my Bwana's head, etc. I'll be a tolerable shooter one day. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact in 7mm-08 with a small scope. Gun, scope & mounts will all be in matte. I'm seeing the rifle go for about $600 delivered. ...

If your interested, our local Wholesale Sports (the outfit that bought Sportsman's wharehous) has a M77 Hawkeye (I do not believe its a compact) in 7-08 for $447. I called and checked, they will ship to your FFL (pay them using a CC over the phone). It is the blue/wood model. This I think is the only one at that price I do believe.

Personally I think it is a sweet deal.

Their Phone number is (509)-736-2200.

Good Luck!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the tip! That's a great price and I wouldn't mind chopping it up with the savings. I'm funny that way. Find something good and eff it up! Who hasn't? LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.