Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've of course always been aware of these rifles, but never owned nor shot one..those danged M70's always got in the way grin

I bumped into a mint 30/06 (never scope mounted near as I can tell, and not a blemish on it and NOT salt wood),at what I think is a reasonable price.

Those who are familiar with them,what are your thoughts/experience with these rifles?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/02/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I own several in calibers from '06 to 338WM. I always liked them because their lop is a little longer than the standard 13.5 inches. This makes them fit my long arms better and they just feel "right." The mauser action is tried and true and the sako type extractors (called the short extractor) work very well too.
All of mine shoot 1 inch or better with hand loads, except the '06 which probably needs some bedding attention. Some are put off by the "shiney" finish but I like it. It can crack with age on some rifles. I would advise you to buy the '06. I think you will find it to be a great deer/bear rifle that is easy on the eyes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had one in 270 a number of years ago. Mine had a FN action. They are truly beautiful rifles and presented one of the premium commercial rifles available in their time. In their day they were the equivalent of say the Coopers and Dakota's of today. Mine shot very well and if there is any knock it stems from the difference in styles that were considered vogue then vs now. They are somewhat heavy compared to todays lightweights. If the price is right and it appeals to you I would jump on it as it is really a classic rifle imho.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
AFTERUM/Bangeye: Thanks for your thoughts....this one has the FN Mauser action with the long extractor,and is for all practical purpose, brand new.For this reason as much as anything I was drawn to it,and agreem that they were nicely made rifles.

I am not put off by the weight,because it really is not all that heavy,and the stock feels very nice to me....has a comfortable feel.I will minimize weight by putting a scope of moderate power and weight on it.

I like and use synthetic stocks but there is a part of me that "likes" handsome wood stocked sporters and this qualifies. Seems like a nice rifle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob: Get it, you'll like it . I have a 270 that my dad bought new. IMO, it's right up there with the pre64's...and that's high praise. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My buddy hunts with one, his only rifle. Finely accurate and he hits everyting he fires at. They are too "clubby" and heavy for me and I am not a fan of the stock style either. No question they are very, very high quality pieces just not my bag. I have a couple of original FN's that I prefer over the Browning import. Lighter and a nice classic stock. Sound like it appeals to you which is reason enough. It will appreciate over time as well.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
south texas/Tony: Thanks for the comments...it "feels" likeit would be comfy to shoot,and appears not to need a thing....brand new really.

$900.....sound about right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sounds like a good deal!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May be a good action to build another Mashburn off of... smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
southtexas: OK, thanks! wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob-I'll be on the road all day, give a call if you've the time. Give me about an hour though.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober; Will do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had several over the years both in standard and magnum actions. They really were visually nicer than all my pre '64s but each style was classic. Considering the condition you found yours in anything under $1K should be a very nice purchase.
You just have to watch out for those salt wood years because there is no way to neutralize the wood other than with a match.
I'm sure you will post the pics in due time.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bigwhoop thanks....yes I will get some pics up soon as I get it. I had it set aside while I decided if I wanted it,but do nt have it yet. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've of course always been aware of these rifles, but never owned nor shot one..those danged M70's always got in the way grin

I bumped into a mint 30/06 (never scope mounted near as I can tell, and not a blemish on it and NOT salt wood),at what I think is a reasonable price.

Those who are familiar with them,what are your thoughts/experience with these rifles?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Sako or Mauser action? either way they are magnificent rifles. I have a couple of them and I prefer them to Model 70s in certain calibers. Their 458 is waaaay to light for example, but those 22" barrels for the non-magnum actions combined with superb fit and finish and accuracy make them quite a find!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a .243 (Sako action) for my son's first CF.

Light weight and the stock fits us both to perfection.

A nice light hunting rifle that handles and shoots well, scoped with a Leupold 6X.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BobinNH,

That is an outstanding rifle, and the price is lower than today's going price. Get it! If you don't want it, sell it to me! smile

I had one exactly as you describe. Like new, large ring Mauser 98 action, claw extractor, in 30-06. I paid $850 for mine around 10 years ago. I eventually convinced myself that lighter rifles are better, so I sold it. That decision is highly regretted.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Passed up one at the last gunshow with an older Leupold on it for $450.00. I'm sure I could have bought it for $400.00 because the dealer only fooled with military surplus and wanted to sell it bad. I probably should have bought it.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jorg/30Gibbs,bigredhead: Thanks for the additional words of wisdom wink I knew they were a nicely made rifle but frankly just had not run into many who had them.

jorg this one is the Mauser action, long extractor.I am glad it's a 30/06....be a swell rifle for about anything.

Swampy you should have bought it at that price I guess... frown

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Passed up one at the last gunshow with an older Leupold on it for $450.00. I'm sure I could have bought it for $400.00 because the dealer only fooled with military surplus and wanted to sell it bad. I probably should have bought it.

Moron!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.